Praying 2005 225L Optimax Serial number 1B107991

I noticed something had been leaking when I did an inspection on my motor this spring. I cleaned up all the fluids (was oily) and fished a couple of tournaments since cleaning. I notice after last weekend there was oily residue around the steering arm again.
    Once back home I removed the cowling cover and started inspecting for the leak again. I could not see anything apparent but could see where it was trailing down from. It was coming from behind the ICM module. So I removed the ICM module and couldn't see any leaks (motor not running) or any leaks on the hoses.
    I put the rabbit ears on and started the engine and finally found the leak. There is a hairline crack in the casting seam on the block of the #1 Cylinder. I imagine it opens up more when the engine gets warmer and leaks pretty good.
    I ran the engine 4 days straight this past weekend and had no issues with speed or getting on plane. The engine is still strong and runs great! Two guys, Bass proshops amounts of tackle, two full livewells, 1/2 tank of gas and still hitting 68 mph WOT.
    My question is this:
    Will Mercury help offset some of the cost for a casting failure if it is truly that?

I would not have a problem paying for labor costs if they will replace the powerhead!
    Good thing Hook sets are FREE!

Jobie Walker
    '05 TR21XDC
    10 in Atlas Hydraulic
    250 ProXS 4 stroke
    25 p Tempest Plus Croxton

2. Member
    Update, took it to a Mercury premier shop. The owner came out and looked at it. The crack is on a casting joint and is on the crankcase side of the cylinder. He's going to call Mercury for me, but thinks that they won't do anything for it. He then suggested Belzona for the crack. Depending on what Mercury says (not holding my breath) looks like around $1000 -$1500 repair......

Jobie Walker
    '05 TR21XDC
    10 in Atlas Hydraulic
    250 ProXS 4 stroke

3. Member
    Don,

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jobie Walker
    '05 TR21XDC
    10 in Atlas Hydraulic
    250 ProXS 4 stroke

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've seen this occur ONCE (actually- it was recently).

PROPER repair would require replacement of the engine block, or the powerhead assembly.

As for your question about Mercury... that's something that you would need to take up directly with them, through their Consumer phone number. Engine has indeed been out of warranty for 3 years, four months now...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yeah, I had warranty until 2010 (was a promo when I bought it). One can only hope that the Mercury rep will do something. I am no 100% behind the belzona repair!

What did you do with the one you found?

Jobie Walker
    '05 TR21XDC
    10 in Atlas Hydraulic
    250 ProXS 4 stroke

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TR21XJLW View Post
    Yeah, I had warranty until 2010 (was a promo when I bought it). One can only hope that the Mercury rep will do something. I am no 100% behind the belzona repair!

What did you do with the one you found?
    Nothing. Customer was going to trade it in.... had me reassemble it "so he could get through a couple tourneys" (and then went and bought another motor somewhere else the next day).

I did some research, and found a product that looked promising (considering the alternatives, there's not much to lose)- do an internet search for "HST 2000 aluminum repair".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks Don for the reply. The shop that I took it to used Belzona on the crack. I have not seen the work yet, am picking it up tomorrow. The pressure tested the repair and said it doesn't leak.
    I am fishing four days next weekend, we shall see if the Belzona holds up!

That sucks about the customer not buying from you since you found the problem!

Jobie Walker
    '05 TR21XDC
    10 in Atlas Hydraulic
    250 ProXS 4 stroke