Thread: trim extenders

trim extenders

who can post a pic of where they install and how to install them?

2. Member
    Look at where the trim rams touch the motor mount. There are two pads one for each ram with a stud that goes through the motor mount and a nut to hold them. Just remove the pads and install the trim extenders. If they help I'd replace them with a set of wedges.

3. Member
    thanks

4. Member
    They are called striker plates and install on the swivell bracket.

5. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Trim Extenders are BAD to leave on permanantly. They take the motor outside of the swivel bracket which weakens lateral support by taking it outside the bracket. If they work, you should install wedges (2 degree or 5 degree)....Much safer.
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

6. Member
    cheaper to try them to see if it works. if it does, then I'll buy wedges.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatMD View Post
    Trim Extenders are BAD to leave on permanantly. They take the motor outside of the swivel bracket which weakens lateral support by taking it outside the bracket. If they work, you should install wedges (2 degree or 5 degree)....Much safer.
    Technically- they're not recommended AT ALL, and as stated (if installed), they allow the swivel bracket to extend too far out of the transom brackets, defeating the (designed) lateral support. This obviously carries with it a risk of damage to the engine (and is also NOT safe).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    thanks for the advice

9. Member
    So what are wedges and how are they installed?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OKDennis View Post
    So what are wedges and how are they installed?
    They are simply "wedge-shaped" plates, that install between the jackplate and engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. MSU Percussion Professor bmas13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Look at where the trim rams touch the motor mount. There are two pads one for each ram with a stud that goes through the motor mount and a nut to hold them. Just remove the pads and install the trim extenders. If they help I'd replace them with a set of wedges.
    +1 on that. I installed the CMC wedges several years ago and have been very happy with them. Inexpensive, safe, and pretty easy to install. You can PM me if you need more info.