Where to buy Champion Gelcoat Color

I have some cosmetic damage around my rear cleat. I contacted Bob Davis of Davis Boat Repair (Richmond, VA) and he advised that I purchase a quart of the white gelcoat. I remember seeing on here once a post that gave information of who to contact to purchase the colors used by Champion (a place in Florida?)

Does anyone have that information handy....

Thank You
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

IBEW

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    If you know your exact color, Larry is correct!! Mini-Craft is the place! When I had to have repair done on my silver-hulled 187, I had to get a pound of flake from the factory. (They got it from Mini-Craft.)

4. Member
    Mini Craft did not have my gel coat color. I had to call Stratos who sent me a pint.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miahjohn View Post
    Mini Craft did not have my gel coat color. I had to call Stratos who sent me a pint.
    What year is your boat? I have heard mini-craft is not the easiest to deal with, but they are the ones who supply the colors/flake, etc. Their website shows Champion, etc. I suspect they prefer to NOT deal with the retail customer....

My boat is a 2004 198 Elite and the damage is limited to the white area only near the cleat. The shop advised me to get a quart - I will give them a try tomorrow - if they give me any problems I will relay the response to the shop.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

White gel was supplied by Valspar they sold the product line off last year to the Lilly-Ram chemical company. The Valspar line is still available and carried under a different name (ram Gel coats), all colors, and part numbers for Ram gel coats are still the same as the valspar.
    Gel Coats | Lilly-RAM Chemical Company, LLC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    What year is your boat? I have heard mini-craft is not the easiest to deal with, but they are the ones who supply the colors/flake, etc. Their website shows Champion, etc. I suspect they prefer to NOT deal with the retail customer....
    2004 Champ 187. A pint of Gemstone flake was $40/pint from Stratos and was a perfect match.

9. Member
    Stratos also provided me with this.

I called Mini Craft on white gell last week and they would only sell in a quart minimum. They had two numbers of white for my 1996 champ so it would have been a 50/50 shot at matching and at the prices they gave me I don't think I'll go that direction. $136.95 quart, $12.95 hardener, $13.95 for an additional additive they said I needed and an additional cost for another additive if I was going to spray it. The guy I talked to was not overly friendly and acted like I was waisting his time. At those prices to fix a couple of very small scratches I guess I was.
    Last edited by BalsaBee; 05-03-2013 at 08:15 AM.

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    That's not good news. My flake color is Black Cherry. Stratos does not offer that color and I know of no other source, so unless Mini-Craft would cooperate with repair folks, it would not be good if I sustained any damage!

12. Member
    Why cant they tint white to match yours? They will have to tint it to match anyway, rarely is it a perfect match due to age and fade.

Mini Craft was able to match my 1994 color so close to perfect that I was amazed. My repair guy just sent them a small sample from the boat and we had the fresh quart in a week or so.
    '94 Champion 201DC Elite
    '96 Mariner 225 Magnum EFI

14. Member
    I have an 87 champion 176 that is blue. How can I determine what the champion color is? I see two champion blues on the website at https://www.greatlakesskipper.com but I am not sure what the color of my boat actualy is. Is there an easy way to determine this information?

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Contact Dean's Custom canvas in Mt. Home AR they are a sponsor here and have the build sheets with the color codes they'll be able to help you out, have your HIN handy.

16. Member
    Thanks man.

17. Member
    Polycryl has the flake if you can get the number or description. I only deal with spectrum color now Mini craft can pound sand.

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Hi, Mitchell. Sorry for my delay in responding to your PM. ChampioNman has the correct info! Let us know how it goes.

19. Member
    I know this is probably a silly question but where can I find the Hull Identification Number on the boat?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelbryan View Post
    I know this is probably a silly question but where can I find the Hull Identification Number on the boat?

On transom, starboard side silver tag.