Help: Optimax 115 in guardian

2009 Optimax 115 is in guardian with constant intermittent beeps.

Here's what has happened to come to this point:

In late fall motor was in guardian mode (similar to how it is now). Had boat serviced. Issue was air injector. That was replaced along with water impeller (since it was 3-4 years). Motor was winterized and then stored immediately after.

Took boat out the other day for the first time after winter storage. It was a while before water started to pee, but motor ran great for 2-3 hours. It then went into guardian mode; cant seem to get over 2-3000 rpms.

Also, I was running 2 new humminbird units this year for the first time (not sure if this could be a contributing factor).

After the first trip I charged the batteries overnight, and the next morning started it up again. Motor ran like normal. I let it run for a 5 minutes or so. Turned it off. On again for a few minutes. Off. On again, and trimmed motor up a bit. Motor started to bogg down and went into guardian again with intermittent beeps.

Any help/info or if anyone has experienced similar situation, it'd be appreciated. Will probably take it in to get checked for certain, but any chance at all there might be an easy fix??

2. Member
    You probably should take it in. I once thought my 2007 115 Optimax was in guardian mode but it turned out to be a bad coil. I eventually had three coils go go bad at different time. There were a lot of bad coils in the parts pipeline at that time. Problem has not happened in awhile since Merc replaced all three with new ones under warranty.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As there are DOZENS of potential causes, I would strongly recommend that you get the engine in to your Local (Authorized) Mercury Dealer, for Computer Diagnostic System PRINTOUTS of:

-Run History
    -Freeze Frame (Fault) History

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    got it back from the shop; they said it was the thermostat (via computer diagnostic), so that was replaced. took the boat out and it ran good for 5 minutes and now its back in the Guardian mode what could be the problem????

i was able to get on plane for 20-30 seconds, then i slowed down to idle. tried to speed up to plane again and then alarm came on. cant get past 3000 rpms.

taking it back in in the morning....
    Last edited by cjartz1; 05-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    As there are DOZENS of potential causes, I would strongly recommend that you get the engine in to your Local (Authorized) Mercury Dealer, for Computer Diagnostic System PRINTOUTS of:

-Run History
    -Freeze Frame (Fault) History
    If you actually get PRINTOUTS (or saved files) as above suggested... I'll be glad to review them by email and give some pointers.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    email sent....thanks!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice speaking with you today... hope the information is helpful.

8. Member
    Hello. A friend of mine is having a similar issue with his 1998 150 Optimax to the one mentioned in this post above. Engine goes into guardian mode and almost stalls out at 3000 rpm. Looking for some advice. Unfortunately the local mechanic is closed until after new years.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelford View Post
    Hello. A friend of mine is having a similar issue with his 1998 150 Optimax to the one mentioned in this post above. Engine goes into guardian mode and almost stalls out at 3000 rpm. Looking for some advice. Unfortunately the local mechanic is closed until after new years.
    Have your friend sign up, and open a separate thread on the 2.0/2.4/2.5 Liter Forum (just below this one). For fastest responses... be sure to provide the required info (see the Announcements at the top of that Forum).