Thread: Tin Rig Setups

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Specs below. I've hit 54.6 at 5800 in a slight chop at 56 degrees air temp. The last two times I've run in smoother water and air temp of 70 degrees and have gotten 53.3 and 52.6 at 5600. Motor is on second hole and Lowe has welded a bead on second and third steps to stop porpoise. Mine also looses bite on right turns, but a trim bump down takes care of it.
    Cup your prop. That should take care of most of the porpoising and help you bite better in turns.

2. Member
    2015 Ranger RT 178

2015 Mercury 75 HP 4S
    Motor mounted in top hole
    17 pitch aluminum prop
    70# Maxxim trolling motor
    38-39 mph (gps) top speed at 5250 rpm

Plan to raise motor to third hole per other setups on the board
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    2012 Bass Tracker PT175 TXW
    5.25'' below non-pad. (all around performance, not top speed)
    52MPH GPS at 5800 rpms
    This thread has been a huge help. I have a 2002 Tracker 175 TXW and am in the process of hanging a Tohatsu 75 TLDI with a 6" manual jack plate. I get all mixed up on the prop shaft to pad measurement. I assume we're talking about the lower running surface of the pad not the upper surface or where the hull steps up? I was a little confused with Ship's 5.25" below non-pad in his post. Could someone clarify that for me? Planning on starting prop shaft 6" below pad with motor in second hole from top and take tools to the lake this week. Does that sound ok? Thanks.

Good starting point.
    Ship will have to give the right explanation. But I think he was saying the very bottom most keel point on the hull. And that it's not a pad style hull. If it's from the step that's on his year boat, it would only be a 1-1/4" below the bottom of the boat. At least that's the way Iam interpreting his statement.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    Thanks Gator. I'm going to try to attach a pic of my adjustment. In the pic I'm moving the plate up a little with the straight edge taped to the bottom of the hull so therefore the anti cav plate is about 4 inches higher than the hull and the prop shaft is 5" below the hull that in the pic. I have the plate up a couple inches and need to drop it back down so the prop shaft is at 6" below the hull to start out. I've read about other's set-ups for years and finally put the cash together to move up from the 25hp. I know this is the beginning of a long process of trial and error but the closer I can get to where it makes sense "on paper" the better. I don't have a water psi gauge yet either so I need to take baby steps 'till I get one! Any other thoughts given the pic?
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    2013 Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport (full windshield)

2014 Suzuki 90
    19 pitch aluminum prop
    Trim tabs to eliminate porpoising
    40 mph (gps) top speed with just me, full tank, and all gear
    Jumps on plane almost instantly

I could probably get another 2-3 mph with a stainless prop, but I've chewed up a prop at a nearby ramp, decided against a stainless prop that day. I rarely run over 30-35 mph anyway.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by aje3721 View Post
    Thanks Gator. I'm going to try to attach a pic of my adjustment. In the pic I'm moving the plate up a little with the straight edge taped to the bottom of the hull so therefore the anti cav plate is about 4 inches higher than the hull and the prop shaft is 5" below the hull that in the pic. I have the plate up a couple inches and need to drop it back down so the prop shaft is at 6" below the hull to start out. I've read about other's set-ups for years and finally put the cash together to move up from the 25hp. I know this is the beginning of a long process of trial and error but the closer I can get to where it makes sense "on paper" the better. I don't have a water psi gauge yet either so I need to take baby steps 'till I get one! Any other thoughts given the pic?
    PM Sent.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

8. Member
    2008 TRACKER PRO TEAM 190 TX (30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) 2008 MERCURY 90HP OPTIMAX STOCK EVERYTHING FULLY LOADED 3 BATTERIES,FULL TANK,2-300 LB MEN,2-25LB ANCHORS
    42 MPH BY SPEEDO

9. Member
    2002 1850 Crestliner Fishhawk, 115 go Suzuki, 14.25 x 21 Suzuki s.s. prop, great hole shot, 2 people, 40 mph gps.

10. Member
    2002 PT 175, 75 hp Mercury two stroke mounted in the third hole. Just put this on so not any testing except the prop we tried today. 13.25x19 turbo stainless steel, 5300 rpm was 39 on the cheap gps. Had 1/2 tank of fuel, some fishing gear and three 200 lb people in the boat.

11. Member
    2005 Tracker PT 185
    2010 Optimax 90hp mounted on hole 2
    MK Fortrex 80#
    597ci gps on bow
    596 HD DI on bow
    12.75x20 prop
    Good hole shot, full tank and 2 190# guys I get 43mph on gps.

12. Member
    2016 Lund 1875 Pro V Bass
    2016 Mercury Verado 200hp
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate
    Revolution 4 blade 21p
    Terrova 112 with IPilot
    Hummingbird Helix 10 and Helix 9
    61 mph @6100
    3 Blade Spitfire is faster but this the best handling/all around performance

2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13x19
    mounted in 4th hole, WOT=5,300 rpm's, 47 mph gps my first time out with this prop by myself, light on fuel and smooth water. I will update when I go out next time with a full tank of fuel.

Full tank, by myself and slight chop around 70 degrees 46mph.
    Last edited by tjsellsfords; 08-27-2021 at 04:33 PM. Reason: got a new prop
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

14. Member
    To All BBC members; I have been a BBC member and searched the BBC site for several years. The post of its members has been most useful for me in rigging my new bass boat retirement present. It is time for me to introduce myself and my boat. Un-know, many of you have been very helpful in projects I have undertaken. I look forward to joining into discussions and try to share my experiences with others related to bass boat projects.

I enjoy doing the research, purchasing / fabrication, rigging and tinkering and finally the fishing. Please do not hesitate to contact me (RSSS96963@Carolina.RR.Com) if you are interested in learning more or receive pictures of any of my additions and modifications outlined below.

XXXXXXXXXX

Planned Projects; TM Lift assist (Bill Reynolds Thread), SS prop for 115 E-Tec, LED Lights in Rod Locker / Storage Boxes

Also, for those of you just interested in a summary, sorry this is so long, but I am a very detail guy. If you are interested in additional detail of a number of the projects, there is supplementary information in foot-notes at the bottom of this review.

Randall S Shannon (RSSBBC)
    RSSS96963@Carolina.RR.Com
    Charlotte, NC 6-5-17

Boat as Purchased
    2015 Triton 18TX (18 feet - 8 inches)
    Single console
    Color; Jet Black

Trolling Motor
    ; Minn Kota Maxxum, 24V, digital 80 Lb. (labeled as 70 Lb.) cable steer. For those of you that have a late 2015 or early 2016 Ranger 188 or Triton TX18 with a Maxxum 70 Lb. TM, see Foot-Note #1 regarding the Maxxum 24V labeled a 70Lb. unit when in fact it is an 80 Lb. motor.
    Remote control / recirculate live well.

Up-graded three banks by six-amp Pro Charging Systems on-board AC battery charger

Additions and Modifications Installed by Owner – Electronics

Two Lowrance HDS3-7inch units (Bow and Console)
    I-Pad / HDS3 wireless interface (Group, if you are not familiar with this feature, this is a great no-cost feature the Lowrance HDS3 offers. If you have two HDS3s you may want to look at Foot-Note # 2 for details and the “Lanyap” benefit.

12” rise Ram Mounts
    Inc. mount for bow HDS3.

Lowrance Point One
    GPS antenna.

Lowrance NEMA 2000
    Network Interface.

Lowrance 3D module
    (Editorial Note – the 3D view is used little; however, the side scan of this module is really good as compared to the original Lowrance Side Scan II transducer)

Navionics+
    for entire USA

Lowrance Spot Light module
    ; (Editorial Note – This was a waste of money!)

West Marine WM4000 stereo
    (AM, FM, Weather Band, MSD Card (I-Tunes), I-Pod, I-Phone, Bluetooth) Two 9 by 6 inch, 3 element POLY-PLANAR flush mount Marine speakers.

Additions and Modifications Installed by Owner – Boat

Third pedestal fishing receiver & seat.
    See Foot-Note # 3 for details and benefits;

Added four additional rod tubes in rod locker
    (TH Marine) http://thmarine.com/th-marine-produc...er-tube-system to the standard eight for a total of 12 rod tubes in the center rod storage locker. See Foot-Note # 4 for details;

Fabricated a storage console box where the third fold down seat was located. This center console storage is similar in design to the center console storage in the new Ranger 198P which is the big brother to the Ranger RT 188. http://www.rangeraluminum.com/model.cfm?sid=7439. (look at 8th picture from far left) See Foot-Note # 5 for details and benefits.

Added LED deck lights
    (Amazon) added to the underside of the gunnels. 24 feet of white LEDs, switched on /off by Triton courtesy light switch. 24 feet of red LEDs (night fishing vision) switched on / off by Triton console accessory switch.

Added two 12’ manual shallow water anchor poles
    (2 sections each).
    https://www.mgs4u.com/ecommerce/shal...parts-and-kits
    One end is a shallow water anchor SS spike point and the other end is an expanding duck bill push-pole fitting. (Academy). http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/oh-m...ill-attachment
    Two AGM Duracell size 31 (13.25 inches wide) 12V trolling motor batteries. (Sam’s Wholesale) See Foot-Note # 6 for details.

Six circuit, 12V power distribution switching box
    . (Overton Marine).

Spray Blockers
    ; DIY Project - ABS plastic attached by two-sided tape placed on transom just above the small triangle shaped anti-porpoising tubes / tabs welded to bottom of boat at the transom. Those of you that have a Ranger RT 18 or a Triton 18 TX know to what I am referring. This eliminates the trailing edge of the transom drenching the outboard motor while running on plane.

TH Marine TM “Red” Handle

Moss Hog TM grass cutter

TM stabilizer (Troll Perfect)

Motor as Purchased

2015 Evinrude E-Tec 115

Factory installed 4" Hydraulic Setback Plate – (TH Marine, Micro Jacker)

Standard Evinrude 19-inch pitch aluminum prop (Researching a SS replacement now)

Additions and Modifications – Evinrude

NEMA 2000 engine / Lowrance interface cable
    See Foot-Note # 7 for benefits.

Minn Kota 12-volt DC powered on-board battery charger
    (model MK-2-DC). MSRP: $129.99 www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MK-2-DC See Foot-Note # 8 for details and benefits.

Factory style engine
    water pressure gauge mounted in console.

Second gas filter/ water separator
    , Racor Marine http://ph.parker.com/us/17583/en/marine-filtration-rcr Mounted in Battery / gas tank compartment.

Trailer as Purchased

Triton single axle trailer

Upgrade from bent tube metal to welded “C” metal

Upgrade to Aluminum Wheels

Upgrade Spare to Aluminum wheel

Triton Trailering Boat Cover (Note: Cover ripped after 14 months, when this cover is totally shot will up-grade to a heavy fabric custom trailering cover). See Foot-Note # 9 for long haul trailering cover.

Additions and Modifications

12 to 1 winch (Academy)

Greatly modified loading platform @ winch (Cabela’s) http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Five-foot loading 2 x 4 guides
    (these needed modifications to fit) (Academy)

White LED waterproof trailer back up lights
    (Amazon)

White LED waterproof side area lights
    , mounted on the side of the 5-foot loading guides (Amazon)

Side trailer step
    (e-Trailer) (located four feet in front of left trailer fender)

Trailer Valet Tongue Jack
    (e-Trailer.Com) See Foot-Note # 10 for details and benefits;

Two-foot extension on truck hitch ball mount. (e-Trailer) This allows me to back and sharply turn the trailer with the truck tail gate down).

************************************************** *********************************************
    Foot-Note #1;
    When I ordered the Triton 18TX, I up-graded the TM to a MK Maxxum 70Lb. unit. After taking position of the boat, I ordered a TH Maine G‑Force Eliminator Trolling Motor Prop Nut for the 70 Lb. 24 V Maxxum. When it arrived the TH Marine Eliminator prop nut opening and threads were far too small for the MK motor shaft. I called TH Maine and they told me I had the correct part # for the 70 Lb. Maxxum. I then called Minn Kota CS regarding the above and they ask for the Minn Kota Maxxum serial #. They did some checking and then ask if this Maxxum came on a new, late 2015 or early 2016 Ranger or Triton. Answer was Yes. I was then told, that for what-ever reason, a batch of Minn Kota Maxxum TMs were sold and shipped to Ranger / Triton that were labeled as 70 Lb. units when in fact they were 80 Lb. motors. The MK CS rep told me, “if I ordered the TH Marine 80 Lb. Eliminator unit, it would fit”. I exchanged the 70lb. TH Marine Eliminator for an 80 Lb. Eliminator and it indeed fit.

Foot-Note # 2;
    I mount (http://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip) my I-Pad on the console and have it wirelessly tied (display and control) to the TM / bow HDS3. When fishing, I borrow my wife’s I-Pad and it is mounted next to the HDS3 mounted on the bow. Her I-Pad is mirroring / controlling the HDS3 mounted on the consol. The net effect is, having two HDS3 displays (one 7 inch and one 9.75 inch (I-Pad screen) on the bow and having the same set-up on the console. The Lowrance / I-Pad app software to do this is free (Lanyap) from Lowrance.

Foot-Note # 3;
    I have added a third fishing pedestal mount and seat on the rear of front fishing deck, in front of passenger area, opposite the console. I have fished three people from the boat using this third seat / receiver mount and it has worked well, (no rods crashes, reel back-lasses or hooks in flesh!

Foot-Note # 4;
    Added four additional rod tubes in rod locker (TH Marine) http://thmarine.com/th-marine-produc...er-tube-system to the standard eight for a total of 12 rod tubes in the center rod storage locker. I can still get nine Plano 3700 boxes in the rod locker. This project exceeded my expectations. 7’ – 6” rods will go in these four additional tubes and it looks 95% factory. This is a low-cost modification, but does take some time to fabricate / install. This modification is as handy as a “T” shirt with a chest pocket.

Foot Note # 5;
    Fabricated a storage console box where the third fold down middle seat was located. It has two TH Marine SS cup holders, flush locking “T” handle and inside storage is 17” W, 15” L and 4” D. Like the Ranger 198P the top storage lid can be opened without removing drinks from the cup holders.

Foot-Note # 6;

Two AGM Duracell size 31 (13.25 inches wide) 12V AGM trolling motor batteries. Both the Ranger and Triton sales rep told me that two size 31 TM batteries would not go in the battery compartment along with the standard cranking battery. The boat was ordered without TM batteries. Measuring the available space, I calculated two size 31 batteries would barely fit. The two sales reps are mis-informed, there is room for the two #31 size batteries plus the standard cranking battery with over ¼ inch to spare!

Foot-Note # 7;
    NEMA 2000 engine / Lowrance interface cable; This is a great feature of new outboards and NMEA 2000 capable Fish-Finders. Information such as engine hours, three separate miles traveled counters and Miles Per Gallon are tracked, plus many more boat and engine tracking information numbers. This is a no cost feature of the HDS3s. The Evinrude E-Tec / NEMA 2000 interface cable was around $80.

Foot-Note # 8;
    Minn Kota 12-volt DC powered on-board battery charger (model MK-2-DC). MSRP: $129.99 Guys, this is a small investment with big returns. Basically, what this does; After the cranking battery reaches a charge of 13.2 volts, this MK unit then switches the outboard motor’s charging amps to the two trolling motor batteries to charge those two batteries. The Evinrude E-Tec magneto provides an output of 133 amps; 83 amps are dedicated to the computer, injectors and ignition, etc. The balance of the 50 amps is dedicated to charging the cranking battery. Not sure of net battery charging amps for the Mercs or Yamahas. So, what this means, is that after fishing and using the cranking battery for electronics and the TM batteries for the TM, one would fire up the out-board. The 50 amps of charging power would quickly recharge the cranking battery up to 13.2 V and then automatically start recharging the two TM batteries. Every time the outboard is fired up, it goes through this cycle.
    Normal after fishing (electronics & TM usage) and a run of 15 minutes or more back to the boat ramp, the cranking and two TM batteries are fully charged. Back at home with the boat in the garage and plugged in the 3 bank AC powered battery charger, the battery charger shows the two TM batteries and cranking battery fully charged in less than two minutes.
    This system does have some requirements and limitations. If interested, carefully read the information and PDF user’s manual on the MK web site. www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MK-2-DC Also, MK has models for 2 & 4 battery boats.

Foot-Note # 9;
    The Triton dealership offered to give me the heavy plastic shipping cover. I thought the heavy cover might be used for any long-haul trips I might consider in the future. This spring, I made a three-week fishing trip from Charlotte, NC to Guntersville, AL, Sam Rayburn, TX, Lake Fork, TX Lake Athens, TX and three smaller less known TX lakes. For the long haul, I put the factory shipping plastic cover over the Triton cover and the two covers trailered over 2,000 miles without any issues. So, if you buy a new boat and think you may at some time have a long haul, you might ask for the heavy plastic factory shipping cover.

Foot-Note # 10;
    Trailer Valet Tongue Jack (e-Trailer.Com); I have a long narrow winding driveway with fences and wife’s flower beds on each side. Backing the trailer and boat by myself was at times taking ten minutes, some frustration and some destroyed flowers. With the Trailer Valet, I now pull the truck with trailer connected straight into the double car garage and then disconnect the trailer. Using the Trailer Valet and a cordless drill, I can turn the boat and trailer around 180 degrees in a 20-foot circle. Then, the Trailer Valet is used to back the boat into the garage using the cordless drill.
    RS Shannon
    Charlotte, NC
    2015 Triton 18TX, E-Tec 115
    TM= MK 80 Lb. Maxxum
    Two Lowrance HDS3s

15. Member

2005 Triton V176 Magnum

2005 Triton V176 Magnum
    2000 Mercury 175 EFI ( Little over powered but )
    6'' Jack plate
    25P prop currently 68 mph GPS at 6000 RPM's -going to try 4 blade 26p this weekend

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftmatic188 XS View Post
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 Pro Xs
    20p laser II
    Engine in 2nd hole/no setback or jackplate
    Trim tabs on hull
    light chop with half a tank by myself and the wind at my back, 49.0 mph gps @ 5600rpm on the mercmoniter. Handles great, no porpoising but will blowout in sharp turns at high trim. Love this boat!!!
    26 hrs
    Love my 2015 RT188 too!!! Yep, will blow out if trimmed too high!!

17. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar

2018 Ranger RT198p

2018 Ranger RT198p
    150HP E-TEC G2, Transom mounted
    24p Raker, Stainless, stock prop
    80# Minn Kota Fortrex TM
    Performance data TBD... - by myself, Tournament loaded, under optimum conditions
    Performance data TBD... - with partner, Tournament loaded, under optimum conditions
    Last edited by King_Fish; 10-02-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

18. Not Banned

2018 G3 Sportsman 19

G3 Sportsman 19
    Yamaha F150 mounted 2nd hole down
    Yamaha Saltwater Series II 19T--- 15 1/4
    No Jack plate
    (1) Power Pole 8'

I've only had it in the water for about 3 hours. So far with 1/2-3/4 fuel and 2 guys at 500 pound with light gear I've seen 50mph in short runs. Turning about 5800 rpm.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingandhunting View Post
    2005 Triton V176 Magnum
    2000 Mercury 175 EFI ( Little over powered but )
    6'' Jack plate
    25P prop currently 68 mph GPS at 6000 RPM's -going to try 4 blade 26p this weekend
    WOW!!! I had a 176 mag couple of years back. GREAT and well made boat. Only had a 115 on mine. I think max HP is 135. My X19 with a 175 hits 63 mph and gets squirrely. Can imagine the pucker factor in that setup.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

20. Member
    2016 Ranger RT188

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO w/SS Prop
    Minn Kota Maxxum 24V 70 lb.
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console