Thread: Tin Rig Setups

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Specs below. I've hit 54.6 at 5800 in a slight chop at 56 degrees air temp. The last two times I've run in smoother water and air temp of 70 degrees and have gotten 53.3 and 52.6 at 5600. Motor is on second hole and Lowe has welded a bead on second and third steps to stop porpoise. Mine also looses bite on right turns, but a trim bump down takes care of it.
    Cup your prop. That should take care of most of the porpoising and help you bite better in turns.

2. Member
    2015 Ranger RT 178

2015 Mercury 75 HP 4S
    Motor mounted in top hole
    17 pitch aluminum prop
    70# Maxxim trolling motor
    38-39 mph (gps) top speed at 5250 rpm

Plan to raise motor to third hole per other setups on the board
    Ranger RT 178, Mercury 75 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 70# Maxxum

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    2012 Bass Tracker PT175 TXW
    5.25'' below non-pad. (all around performance, not top speed)
    52MPH GPS at 5800 rpms
    This thread has been a huge help. I have a 2002 Tracker 175 TXW and am in the process of hanging a Tohatsu 75 TLDI with a 6" manual jack plate. I get all mixed up on the prop shaft to pad measurement. I assume we're talking about the lower running surface of the pad not the upper surface or where the hull steps up? I was a little confused with Ship's 5.25" below non-pad in his post. Could someone clarify that for me? Planning on starting prop shaft 6" below pad with motor in second hole from top and take tools to the lake this week. Does that sound ok? Thanks.

Good starting point.
    Ship will have to give the right explanation. But I think he was saying the very bottom most keel point on the hull. And that it's not a pad style hull. If it's from the step that's on his year boat, it would only be a 1-1/4" below the bottom of the boat. At least that's the way Iam interpreting his statement.
    PT 175 TX, 60 HP Mercury 4S

5. Member
    Thanks Gator. I'm going to try to attach a pic of my adjustment. In the pic I'm moving the plate up a little with the straight edge taped to the bottom of the hull so therefore the anti cav plate is about 4 inches higher than the hull and the prop shaft is 5" below the hull that in the pic. I have the plate up a couple inches and need to drop it back down so the prop shaft is at 6" below the hull to start out. I've read about other's set-ups for years and finally put the cash together to move up from the 25hp. I know this is the beginning of a long process of trial and error but the closer I can get to where it makes sense "on paper" the better. I don't have a water psi gauge yet either so I need to take baby steps 'till I get one! Any other thoughts given the pic?
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    2013 Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport (full windshield)

2014 Suzuki 90
    19 pitch aluminum prop
    Trim tabs to eliminate porpoising
    40 mph (gps) top speed with just me, full tank, and all gear
    Jumps on plane almost instantly

I could probably get another 2-3 mph with a stainless prop, but I've chewed up a prop at a nearby ramp, decided against a stainless prop that day. I rarely run over 30-35 mph anyway.
    http://i.imgur.com/4f5wtGb.jpg

2013 Alumacraft Competitor 165
    2014 Suzuki DF90A

Jackson Tripper 12 Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by aje3721 View Post
    Thanks Gator. I'm going to try to attach a pic of my adjustment. In the pic I'm moving the plate up a little with the straight edge taped to the bottom of the hull so therefore the anti cav plate is about 4 inches higher than the hull and the prop shaft is 5" below the hull that in the pic. I have the plate up a couple inches and need to drop it back down so the prop shaft is at 6" below the hull to start out. I've read about other's set-ups for years and finally put the cash together to move up from the 25hp. I know this is the beginning of a long process of trial and error but the closer I can get to where it makes sense "on paper" the better. I don't have a water psi gauge yet either so I need to take baby steps 'till I get one! Any other thoughts given the pic?
    PM Sent.
    PT 175 TX, 60 HP Mercury 4S

8. Member
    2008 TRACKER PRO TEAM 190 TX (30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) 2008 MERCURY 90HP OPTIMAX STOCK EVERYTHING FULLY LOADED 3 BATTERIES,FULL TANK,2-300 LB MEN,2-25LB ANCHORS
    42 MPH BY SPEEDO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123