250XS Impeller Correct Rotation Direction for new installation

Folks,

Can someone verify the following statement:

When looking "down" on to the drive shaft towards the lower unit (this would be like you are standing on the boat transom looking down into the water), the drive shaft rotates clockwise when in drive.

I've read Sherm's waterpump replacement thread here on the Forum (which says to rotate the shaft clockwise when pushing down on the housing) and I've scoured the web, and strangely its not covered in the 250XS Shop Manual as far as can find.

I replaced the impeller, and what is strange is that when I look at parts diagrams like this one:

Mercury Mariner Racing 250XS (3.0L DFI) Gear Housing(Driveshaft)(Torque Master) Parts

The impeller in this picture would indicate the shaft must rotate counter-clockwise, which is NOT correct as far as I can tell. I get a great water pressure so I assume I've got it right.

What would really be helpful to many folks that are installing the impeller for the first time would be a picture of the waterpump housing with the impeller installed in it, shown the direction the impeller arms should be bent upon installation.

Thanks!

2. Member

impeller

The correct rotation is clockwise, the impeller in the diagram is wrong thats is just a photo not for installing the impeller, I have installed hundreds of them
    Last edited by rfg65; 04-14-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1.... driveshaft DOES indeed rotate CLOCKWISE.

Normally (on this 3L model gearcase), you would install the impeller into the housing FIRST.

Turn the housing upside down in your LEFT hand. With the impeller pre-lubed (use DAWN DISHSOAP), looking into the cup of the housing, you would rotate the impeller COUNTER-CLOCKWISE while installing it into the housing. This results in the impeller vanes being oriented for CLOCKWISE shaft rotation.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor