I might not understand your handle question. On a black max, the grip is a piece of rubber that can be pulled off the handle by just pulling it straight off. My memory says the promax's can be removed the same way, but there is a bushing that will remain on the handle stud. As much as I like max's, I have never been fond of the handle. I usually switch to gator grips.

An earlier post asked about parts. I typically buy from southwestern parts in Dallas (southwesternparts.com) or Dad's Ole Tackle in Conroe, Texas, but there are lots of sources. I have also purchased from Mike's Reel Repair, but it is in Canada, and the shipping takes forever.

Reel schematics can be viewed or downloaded from Southwestern's website. Make sure to match the reel seat numbers to the schematic. A change in numbers will mean a change in one or more parts. For the 1600s or 3600s, most will be 02000X, but a few will be 02010X. The schematic will be identified as 0200 or 0201. The reels look the same, and most parts interchange, but some important drive train parts are different.

If you have not tried blue brake blocks, you have not fully enjoyed your reel yet. If you are having an issue with your max, send me a description of the symptoms and I might be able to solve it. If you want to disassemble and clean your reel, you can go to

http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/...UBlackMax.aspx