Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    No one knows how to work on these or is it no one is interested in talking about them any more? I caught you first fish in over 2 years that was roughly 1.5 to 2lbs Bass on the pro max 1600. Still casting is king of hard atm.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I finally tied a bullet weight on the line with the Pro Max 1600 at it casted like garbage but did not have any issues with backlashing. Is there any manuals I can get online on how to tune these? Also how do you clean the bearing? Acetone, rubbing alcohol, carburetor cleaner?
    Bought a nice looking 3600, had it serviced by BPS, worst casting reel I've ever had.

This 1600 still has white plastic brake pads. The Black Max 3600 I have is equiped with the black plastic brake pads. I’m going to give them both a little workout today either on lake Hogan or the Delta and see if I can get either to cast worth a darn.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    This 1600 still has white plastic brake pads. The Black Max 3600 I have is equiped with the black plastic brake pads. I’m going to give them both a little workout today either on lake Hogan or the Delta and see if I can get either to cast worth a darn.
    Couple things you can try, pull off one of the black brakes and see if it helps. There’s only 1 spool bearing, replace it.

I really loved my 3600’s but they don’t cast as far as new reels do; but for close quarters and in the wind they work great.

I spooled the 3600 up last night and have yet to try it. Put 25 lbs backing and 80 lbs green Spider Wire. Not sure how it'll cast but the other real I purchased at the same time as these is working pretty good with a heavy one ounce skirted punching bullet weight.

Well the 3600 did not cast as well as I would prefer. I was using a 6'6" medium heavy Series one with 80 lbs spider wire and a small snag proof frog.

7. Member
    I’ve got some 30+ year old Fenwick pistol grip rods and have decided to pair up my 1600 and 3600 reels with them. Back when those rods were new, I had some variety of ambassadeur reel on them, so the little 3600 allows you to downsize your baits compared to these reels.

I dont one know how much I’ll use them, the new stuff is a HUGE improvement over these old round reels. But I will use them, it’s hard to match the accuracy you can throw a spinnerbait with these old setups.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Couple things you can try, pull off one of the black brakes and see if it helps. There’s only 1 spool bearing, replace it.

I really loved my 3600’s but they don’t cast as far as new reels do; but for close quarters and in the wind they work great.
    There are two spool bearings. One is inside the spool behind the brake assembly. Really helps these reels to install a couple good ABEC 5 or 7 bearings. Also, replace the centrifugal brakes with a pair of blue brakes. These are lighter than the black or white brakes. One black brake works well too, but blue brakes are best.

9. Member
    What color brake blocks are on it?

10. Member
    New question. Got a 1600 and a 3600c and wanted to switch gears to make the 1600 faster. Started pulling them apart and noticed the drive gear on each (at least as best as I can tell) is identical. What's up with that? I would assume the drive gears and pinion gears would be different sizes. There arent any markings on the 1600, but I dont believe it's a 6:1. Any help? And how do you change out the opinion gear? It's different than on some reels I've done it to. Some step by step pictures would be a great help.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShallowWaterAngler View Post
    What color brake blocks are on it?
    When I had mine serviced by an ABU shop they told new brakes aren't available, white.

12. Member
    White brakes are the heaviest and resist casting the most. I took one of the brakes off on my reels and it really helps. I would have thought it would throw it out of balance but hasn't on mine. You can buy the blue brake blocks which are the lightest on Ebay for about $4.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    There are two spool bearings. One is inside the spool behind the brake assembly. Really helps these reels to install a couple good ABEC 5 or 7 bearings. Also, replace the centrifugal brakes with a pair of blue brakes. These are lighter than the black or white brakes. One black brake works well too, but blue brakes are best.

I’ll have to look at mine again, hopefully I missed one and that’s why they aren’t casting well.

I was using the black real with 80lbs power pro casting a frog and it was doing ok. I did get one nasty backlash that I had to sit down and put my cheaters on to pick it out. Sucks getting old and needing reading glasses for small things like fishing line etc. I am only using one of the black brakes on that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I’ll have to look at mine again, hopefully I missed one and that’s why they aren’t casting well.
    If I remember right, there is a plastic gear on the other side of the spool. Press fit. Will pull out with your fingers. Another bearing behind there. If I have time one of these days, I'll pull my reel apart and take pics.

16. Member
    Just wanted to update. I thought the gears looked the same on my 1600 and my 3600c which is supposed to be 6:1. I've checked by marking the spool and both are spinning just over 5 turns of the spool for one turn of the reel handle. I wouldn't have thought anyone would have changed the gears in the 3600c (still clearly labeled), but it is 5.2:1. Just an fyi for anyone buying a used reel.

17. Member
    Bump

18. Member
    Temptation got the best of me again!!! Picked up a 3600 Tournament Pro for $25 off of Facebook Marketplace. Young man selling it recently purchased it and put some line on it. Said it didn’t cast good so he thought he would attempt to clean it. Grease on the anti-reverse and a brake block was binding in the gears. Poor kid wasn’t even born when this was manufactured! His loss, my gain!!! All cleaned up now and works like a champ!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShallowWaterAngler View Post
    Just wanted to update. I thought the gears looked the same on my 1600 and my 3600c which is supposed to be 6:1. I've checked by marking the spool and both are spinning just over 5 turns of the spool for one turn of the reel handle. I wouldn't have thought anyone would have changed the gears in the 3600c (still clearly labeled), but it is 5.2:1. Just an fyi for anyone buying a used reel.
    Black Max and Pro Max reels made in the early 90’s were 5.3:1 gear ratios. SM3600’s were 6.3:1 ratios. If you want the higher gear ratio buy these 2 parts. Part number 22221 and 22222 is what you need. Blue brake blocks while it’s apart will help with casting. Someone mentioned 80lb braid and IMO that’s an overkill. I use 30lb Power Pro (8lb diameter) and it works perfect. My reels will outcast a Revo any day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrappyBassfishinDude View Post
    Temptation got the best of me again!!! Picked up a 3600 Tournament Pro for $25 off of Facebook Marketplace. Young man selling it recently purchased it and put some line on it. Said it didn’t cast good so he thought he would attempt to clean it. Grease on the anti-reverse and a brake block was binding in the gears. Poor kid wasn’t even born when this was manufactured! His loss, my gain!!! All cleaned up now and works like a champ!
    . Sounds like you got a good deal.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast