Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a Morrum 5600C that was tuned by Ian Shields that is an absolutely beautiful reel and is like new/mint. Not only is the reel built like a Swiss watch, Ian tuned it so it's been upgraded and super tuned to be at its highest performance. Cranks, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, swimbaits, etc., this reel is awesome. I am going to be listing it on here if anyone is interested simply because I have way too many reels and right now it is in a display case on not being used. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Does anyone do any tuning work on these old round Black Max/Pro Max series reels?
    I do all kinds of things to mine.

I always change the worm bushings to bearings on my black max's.

I usually change to high speed gears.

I have tried perforating the spool to improve casting, but I cannot actually tell any difference.

I 'smooth' the notch on the clutch arm to improve clutch performance.

I have to 'square' the teeth on the drive shaft after they start wearing a little.

If you file the back side of the teeth on the drive shaft, you can significantly improve clutch engagement.

For the reels that I will be using, I change the clutch arm, and holder, to the newer style that does not require the loose spring.

I go through axles pretty regularly, so I make my own from 3 mm stainless rod, and I just recycle the press on bushings.

There are several other mods I have tried, but I cannot actually say they made any real improvement, for example, on one reel, I bored out the drive shaft and installed a Teflon bushing in the upper end, and a bearing in the lower end. Lots of work for basically no improvement.

3. Member
    I've got a like new Morrum 5600C up for sale in swap & sell that has upgraded bearings and was tuned by Ian Shields...just saying

I just recently purchased a pro max 1600, black max 3600 and 521 XLT Plus. I have yet to try them out. The 1600 is pretty small.

5. Member
    [QUOTE=Delta Bass Fool;9753029]I just recently purchased a pro max 1600, black max 3600 and 521 XLT Plus. I have yet to try them out. The 1600 is pretty small.[/QUOTE

You will like them. Try braided line on these small baitcasters.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I just recently purchased a pro max 1600, black max 3600 and 521 XLT Plus. I have yet to try them out. The 1600 is pretty small.
    Nice! Recently there were two 2500Cs for sale on this site. I wanted both, but absolutely don't need any more reels. I held off buying as long as I could. They were both gone by the time I decided "To heck with it. I want them." My bank account says thanks. The Bait Monkey is highly displeased with me.

7. Member
    I've got a Morrum 3600. Does anyone know if you can swap out gears (5 to 1)? Looking to replace with a ratio of 6 to 1 or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappyBassfishinDude View Post
    You will like them. Try braided line on these small baitcasters.
    The 1600 already has some clean mono or Fluro and the other two had nothing on them. Think I'll try using a weightless 5" Senko on the 1600 and some braid with frog on the 3600
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 10-29-2018 at 04:53 PM.

9. Member
    [QUOTE=Delta Bass Fool;9762628]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrappyBassfishinDude View Post

The 1600 already has some clean mono or Fluro and the other two had nothing on them. Think I'll try using a weightless 5" Senko on the 1600 and some braid with frog on the 3600
    Just be careful not to spool that 5" Senko.

10. Banned
    I have a couple BM3600’s and they suck with braid. Work fine with mono, braid not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I have a couple BM3600’s and they suck with braid. Work fine with mono, braid not so much.
    Thank you.

Any one know of a good video on how to break these down to clean and asses what needs to be replaced and put back together. I see a lot of replacement barring talk.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Thank you.

Any one know of a good video on how to break these down to clean and asses what needs to be replaced and put back together. I see a lot of replacement barring talk.
    They aren’t very complicated, I bought some bocas thinking that they’d help with the braid. They didn’t, not sure what the issue is, they look like they’d work good. They are my favorite reels ever made because you almost can’t backlash them, but mine just sit on a shelf now.

13. Member
    Gave my twins (1600 & 3600) a good workout today. Glad I changed out and upgraded drag washers. Lots of fish and some really good ones too!!! Apologies can’t figure out how to edit this photo with my phone.

Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Gave my twins (1600 & 3600) a good workout today. Glad I changed out and upgraded drag washers. Lots of fish and some really good ones too!!! Apologies can’t figure out how to edit this photo with my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    They aren’t very complicated, I bought some bocas thinking that they’d help with the braid. They didn’t, not sure what the issue is, they look like they’d work good. They are my favorite reels ever made because you almost can’t backlash them, but mine just sit on a shelf now.
    I have several Pennacle reels I don’t use any more because of the suckage.

It’s a shame to let those reels of yours sit on a shelf.

Nice fish CBD.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 11-08-2018 at 08:26 AM.

I just got my Zuk 150 BASS running again so I'll be hitting up the Delta and local lakes testing out these new to me abu's I recently purchased.

Nice fish!

18. Member
    Love my Morrums and always wanted to try the round Black Max / SM / Pro Max, I would own several if Abu would have offered them in 1601 / 3601 variants.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 04-24-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins9 View Post
    These reels are super easy to tune. Clean the spool bearings and add a drop or two of rocket fuel oil. The key on these reels is not to use TOO much oil.
    I finally tied a bullet weight on the line with the Pro Max 1600 at it casted like garbage but did not have any issues with backlashing. Is there any manuals I can get online on how to tune these? Also how do you clean the bearing? Acetone, rubbing alcohol, carburetor cleaner?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast