Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Time to resurrect this old thread. Who's still subscribed?
    I'm looking to upgrade my Black Max with the 6.3:1 gears. Having trouble finding the main gear.
    CrappyBassfishinDude, you still around? Got any extra parts? Maybe we can swap for some Boca Bearings?
    Just saw this post. I'm taking a rod in for repair and I will see if they have any new gears in stock. Will let you know.

Thank you sir!

3. Member
    They have them in stock. It is part #22221. When I changed mine out I did the pinion gear part #22222 at the same time. These are brand new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappyBassfishinDude View Post
    They have them in stock. It is part #22221. When I changed mine out I did the pinion gear part #22222 at the same time. These are brand new parts.
    Southwest Parts? Did they tell you a price? Seems like their shipping is really high last time I checked.

5. Member
    Yes sir! I think it was $12-$13 for the drive gear. I've heard their shipping and handling was a little steep. I'm not going to have a chance until next week to go by there, but let me know what you want and I'll get it and mail it to you. We can figure out payment later.

6. Member
    Took my twins (2 Black Max 1600's) for a little bass fishing today. I have one loaded with 20 lb Power Pro braid and the other filled with 15lb P-line. Both have been upgraded to 6.3:1 gears and carbon fiber drag washers. I fished with them for approximately 6 hours and their performance was flawless!!! The only thing I need to find is a bigger handle for more cranking power, so when I run into HOGZILLA again I will be ready!!!

7. Member
    Hey guys, I only have the 3600 model. I've heard that the 1600 is narrower. Are we talking a measurement across the width of the reel or narrower as in not as big around? I'm thinking it is width but can't really tell from pictures. What line capacity difference is there between the 1600 and he 3600?

8. Member
    It's just a narrower spool. I'm not sure the difference in line capacity, but it's not much. The 1600 handles smaller baits better than the 3600.

9. Member
    I just made a deal on a pair of glass cranking rods. I was thinking about which reels to put on them, When I remembered the Black Max & Pro Max round reels I have stored away in Crown Royal bags.

For me, the 1600s don’t really work. My thumb is too big to get in there and touch the spool. I may still have one or two and will give them another try.

i know I have a few 3600s, and 5600s. I’m thinking a 3600 on the lighter rod, for throwing bass crankbaits, chatterbaits, etc. and I want to set up a 5600 or maybe even a larger Ambassadeur for throwing striper size swimbaits. The fish and game plants rainbows below a few of the dams here in the winter, and the stripers love ‘em. I saw a friend of mine catch a 37” striper on a jerk bait, from a kayak!

Somehow i I don’t think my Tatula reels are going to be around in 30 years.

I also thought about the half dozen pistol grip Fenwick HMX, Blackhawk and Boron Rods I still have that are 30+ years old. I caught a lot of fish on these with 4600 series Ambassadeurs (still have those reels too) and I’ll bet these smaller Black Max and Pro Max reels would make a great old school combo on those PG rods.

Ill get everything pulled out and out and see what I have. I know I have one “Tournament Pro 3600 C” that needs some TLC. It looks good, but skips and catches on the retrieve. The level wind isn’t moving properly, erratic.

If I can’t figure it out, who is the best at working on these reels?
    Last edited by Warhawk; 02-21-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

10. Member
    My 3600that was acting up had a busted pawl. Cannibalized one from a junker 5500 and it’s back in business.

I drug out all all of these reels. I have

3 - 3600s
    8 - 5600s
    2 - 6600s

I guess I need to round up another 1600 and try it again.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

11. Member
    Does anyone do any tuning work on these old round Black Max/Pro Max series reels?

I remember seeing (I think I remember it anyway) seeing that you could swap the internals around to add ball bearings to a Black Max? I have several 3600 and 5600 pro mx reels, and just reticently found a 1600 Black Max. I'd gladly cannibalize one of the larger reels to super tune this Black Max.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

I fish a lot of BM/PM 1600/3600 and 5600 reels. They are great reels. The 1600s will toss light baits very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Does anyone do any tuning work on these old round Black Max/Pro Max series reels?

I remember seeing (I think I remember it anyway) seeing that you could swap the internals around to add ball bearings to a Black Max? I have several 3600 and 5600 pro mx reels, and just reticently found a 1600 Black Max. I'd gladly cannibalize one of the larger reels to super tune this Black Max.
    These reels are super easy to tune. Clean the spool bearings and add a drop or two of rocket fuel oil. The key on these reels is not to use TOO much oil.

14. Member
    Love these little reels!

15. Member
    Does anyone have the problem I have? It seems that I can’t tighten the knob on the rod enough to keep my 3600 from wiggling slightly. It’s the only reel that does that. Also my reel keeps wanting to loosen the the screws and open up after a half day of use (keep having to check and tighten). It may be due to the wiggling caused from not tightening down all of the way.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShallowWaterAngler View Post
    Does anyone have the problem I have? It seems that I can’t tighten the knob on the rod enough to keep my 3600 from wiggling slightly. It’s the only reel that does that. Also my reel keeps wanting to loosen the the screws and open up after a half day of use (keep having to check and tighten). It may be due to the wiggling caused from not tightening down all of the way.
    Probably needs a spacer under the reel. Just got my 3600 out yesterday and did a little fluke fishing with it.

17. Member
    I’ve tried wrapping it with electrical tape, but it didn’t seem to do any good. Still searching for a fix. But while it wiggles, I still use it as my deep cranking reel in club tournaments.

18. Member
    Hey, what about the “bronzed” models? How does the finish hold up on them compared to the black finish and the standard pro max finish?

19. cookshook
    Try you some post it double sided tape pads on your reel. It should fix your problem.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookshook View Post
    Try you some post it double sided tape pads on your reel. It should fix your problem.
    Thanks. I will look into that.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast