Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Did you find the gears you were looking for?

If not, you can find them at Southwestern parts on Mockingbird in Dallas (I see you are in Dallas).

Since I made the original post, I have added more than 100 pro/black max's to my stash. I also have quite a number of parts also.

Mike
    Last edited by Unutt; 01-27-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: corrected misspelled word

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unutt View Post
    Did you find the gears you were looking for?

I not, you can find them at southwestern parts on Mockingbird in Dallas (I see you are in Dallas).

Since I made the original post, I have added more than 100 pro/black max's to my stash. I also have quite a number of parts also.

Mike
    We want pictures ! Lol

3. Member
    Yes. I picked them up at Southwest Parts & Service. Ran into a little trouble when installing them, had everything laid out in order and went to the kitchen for a minute and my cat decided to get under the newspaper they were on. I've seen the parts diagram and it offers some help, but kinda difficult to read.

4. Member
    Took me a while, but I figured it out. I changed out the brake blocks to the blue ones and upgraded to faster gears. I've been using this reel to cast weightless worms and I have no worries of backlashes. This little thing can cast baits farther than my Revo's. Thanks for the tips!!!

5. Member
    Tell me what advantage I'll receive after changing to blue brakes (from black)???

oe

6. Member
    OkobojiEagle - The blue brake blocks are smaller and lighter that the black ones which are, in turn, smaller and lighter than the white blocks. The blue blocks apply less braking force and make casting light baits easier.

Tom

7. Member
    I will try the blue brakes, BUT... it's counter-intuitive to me as the spools are heavier (by today's standards) and I'm believing I would want heavier brakes to control a heavier spool...

oe

8. Member

More problack max talk

The spool assembly on a 1600 is very light. Also, when the clutch is disengaged, the spool free floats. It is not attached to the axle, making the mass that is turning VERY light. Blue brake blocks really do improve casting distance. There are a number of other quick upgrades that can be made if anyone gets interested. I see that I had only 50 pro/black max's when I posted in this thread the first time. I am closing in on 200 at this point. Someone requested pictures, so I am including one I took a few months ago, and about 40 or 50 reels ago.

I keep saying I am going to stop, and then another one comes along for 20 or 25 dollars, and I cannot pass it up. I bought 6 of the chrome 1600s off eBay a few months ago for $180 shipped. They will never see the deck of a boat, but they are beeyootiful sitting on the shelf.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Unutt; 01-27-2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: used wrong quote

9. Member
    Wow, and I thought my 40 plus baitcast reels (total of all brands and models) was reaching the ridiculous stage. Of course I don't collect either.

Very nice. I have to admit that I am starting to think some about collecting as I have a hard time resisting every time a reel I am interested in comes up for sale at a good price. Doesn't matter that I may already have 2 or 3 of that model. I am starting to admit to myself that 1) I have a problem, or 2) I need to call my problem for what it is becoming....a collecting hobby. Your collection makes my 3 Black Max 1600 and Morrum 1600 and 1601 look like less than a drop in a 55 gallon drum.

10. Member
    I have about as many bait casters of other models, but I am not a collector. That would be weird. I just buy interesting reels that are reasonably priced. I recently picked up an interesting bait caster that is labeled 'DAM'. It was not made by DAM Quick. It looks like an 80s era Abu Garcia Ultra Mag, but it has a very unusual thumb bar. I have not seen another. It was unusual, and it was reasonable, so it had to come home with me. I believe it was made in Japan. And I would suggest you do not have a problem either. A wise old angler once told me you can never have too much equipment. I subscribe to that thought process.

11. Member
    I have always believed this to be true.....the one who dies with the most toys, wins!

12. Member
    I need to replace my drag washers in both reels. If anybody has part numbers, please post them. I want to be ready for Spring. I went out to and caught some nice bass earlier today and it was very apparent they need replacing.
    Last edited by CrappyBassfishinDude; 02-08-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Check my post on the first page.

14. Member
    You mentioned carbontex drag. Is this from another Abu reel? Is this an aftermarket part? Thanks

It's an aftermarket item. SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything ***
    They've been around awhile. You can get Smoothies or Carbontex replacement drag washers. Made a huge difference in my old Black Max 1600.

16. Member
    Thanks! I'll have to check around on EBay. I live near Southwest Parts & Service and they carry only factory parts no aftermarket. Dang! I was hoping to get them within the next couple of days and replace them myself. Thanks again!

17. Member
    Glad to see this post. I had a couple of the silver Pro Max 1600's in the mid nineties I guess. My dad liked them after he used one of mine, and bought quite a few. He passed away a couple of years ago, and I recently brought home a box of reels he had in the shed. It contains several of the 1600's, and one 3600. I'll upgrade a couple of these and put the higher gear set in one, and use them. He would like that. I didn't realize they had the 6:1 gears for these, that will be nice.

18. Member
    The faster gears are worth it!

First set on the list. $9
    http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

Give Dawn a call. She's great. She'll mail drag washers set cheap too. You'll probably pay more on the auction site.

20. Member
    I just ordered upgrade parts this morning from Dad's Ol Tackle, as well as a few more parts for my Shimano CU100 that are no longer available but he had some in stock. Looking forward to getting into some reels and cleaning/rebuilding them.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast