Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I might not understand your handle question. On a black max, the grip is a piece of rubber that can be pulled off the handle by just pulling it straight off. My memory says the promax's can be removed the same way, but there is a bushing that will remain on the handle stud. As much as I like max's, I have never been fond of the handle. I usually switch to gator grips.

An earlier post asked about parts. I typically buy from southwestern parts in Dallas (southwesternparts.com) or Dad's Ole Tackle in Conroe, Texas, but there are lots of sources. I have also purchased from Mike's Reel Repair, but it is in Canada, and the shipping takes forever.

Reel schematics can be viewed or downloaded from Southwestern's website. Make sure to match the reel seat numbers to the schematic. A change in numbers will mean a change in one or more parts. For the 1600s or 3600s, most will be 02000X, but a few will be 02010X. The schematic will be identified as 0200 or 0201. The reels look the same, and most parts interchange, but some important drive train parts are different.

If you have not tried blue brake blocks, you have not fully enjoyed your reel yet. If you are having an issue with your max, send me a description of the symptoms and I might be able to solve it. If you want to disassemble and clean your reel, you can go to

http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/...UBlackMax.aspx

Once the knobs wore out on mine, I just got rid of the handle. At the time, I had a 1st gen Revo Premier, and ordered a longer Skeet handle for it. The Premier handle went on the Black Max, and works beautifully. I don't believe the Premier handle even has bearings, but it is still a great upgrade over the factory handle.
    I would just order some type of Revo handle. Pick a model. They're not terribly expensive and I think they look sharp on their. Much like the factory handle, but function much better with removeable knobs.
    Or you can call Bass Pro Reel Repair. They always have an assortment of used handles. Some of their branded reels have some good handles that would work, as long as it's not the threaded handle. They had some 4 bearing Browning handles at one time for $12 it seems like. Upgraded an old Quantum I have that I use occasionally.

3. Member
    Unutt, I was thinking about making a handle with just one knob. Of course I would need the whole knob assembly that mounts onto the handle. Not looking for a grip, or a new handle that can simply be mounted on the reel.

It is possible the removable knobs eyra kid mentions is what I am looking for. Would have to see a picture of one. Haven't done any investigating yet.

BTW, got out last Friday with my Morrum Mag SX1600C. Love it. Only reel I have that can be thrown without using my thumb to feather or stop the spool. I know many throw without using any thumb. I have a friend who uses nothing but Shimanos, and he can cast without using his thumb. However.............whenever he picks up one of my reels to try, the first thing he does is increase spool tension. I keep it minimum.

I have various models from at least 7 different companies. The Morrum is the only one I can cast thumb free. As nice as the Black Max 1600 and Curado 51E are to cast light baits into the wind, they still require use of thumb unless I were to increase spool tension.

4. Member
    I am with you on the spool tension. I like to back the tension off until the spool moves back and forth, then adjust it so the spool just stops moving.

I see on ebay a number of single lever handles, like power handles. Is that what you are looking for?

I have one Morrum, but I have never fished with it. I bought it off Craigslist. I found the Morrum and a Calcutta 100 for $100. Wish I could find that kind of bargain every day.

5. Member
    what set of carbontex washers do these take?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unutt View Post
    I see on ebay a number of single lever handles, like power handles. Is that what you are looking for?
    Yes.

7. Member
    Traded an old 5500C3 for a Black Max 1600 and after a good cleaning this little sucker can cast a small crankbait a mile! I'm actually surprised and now looking for the Pro Max version.

I also have owned a Morrum 3600 for maybe 10 years and it's been a solid workhorse. The only issues I have encountered with it is lack of casting distance and I would like it even more if it had faster gears. It's a 5:1 speed reel and only takes up only 19 inches per handle revolution.

8. Member
    Glad to see this old thread is still around. I've relocated to Arkansas, lots of fishing opportunities here!

Any thoughts on the tournament series reels? I've wound up with a few of them and think the 5600 with clicker should make a great striper reel.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

9. Member
    Not sure why I was surprised when I found this forum and thread but was excited to find some info on these reels. Thanks!

Biggest mistake I ever made was selling 2 Ambassadeur 3600 Tournament Series reels, sure wish I had them back.

10. Member
    After several trips out with the Black Max 1600, I'm now looking to purchase more of them providing the price is right. Great little reels!

11. Member
    Temptation got the best of me!!! Picked up another Black Max 1600 in near mint condition. Now it's time to order parts and change this one to a higher gear ratio.

12. Member
    This Thread got me excited about some small upgrades to my Black Max 1600's. I ordered some Boca APEC 5 bearings from the Tackle Trap and a couple of Carbontex drag washers for a 5500 hope they fit, if not I have some 4600 i can use them on. Both reels already have blue brake and 6:3-1 gears. I bought a couple of the Bass pro shop handles, but will be returning them tomorrow and looking for a place that handles Gator Grips.

On the Carbontex for the Black MAx 1600, I used the ABU 5500CA set from smoothdrag. This was the set that Jim Johns "reeldoc" recommended to me. Just a heads-up, that set should come with 4 washers, but you will only use 3 on the BM 1600. The smallest washer won't be used as it is for the larger round reels.

14. Member
    Thanks kid,
    just received my order yesterday and hopefully get the drag installed this weekend.

16. Member
    Now I see why you guys change out the drag washers! Next thing on my to do list.

Definitely a noticeable upgrade.

18. Member
    I'm looking to upgrade to some faster gears on 1of the 2 BM 1600's. Still haven't upgraded the drag washers yet, but I did clean and grease them and they function well. They've seen a lot of use this spring!

19. Member
    Wanna make these reels cast even better?

Put some flurocarbon line on them!

20. Member
    These things have seen heavy use this Spring and Summer and still going strong!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast