How do I hook up my SHO to a NMEA?

What do I need to hook up a SHO to an NMEA backbone and does anyone recommend a particular backbone brand? I want to hook up my SHO to my Humminbird. Thanks
    Frank

Stock 2012 SHO 225 with 255 hours
    2000 ZX 202-C hull

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankWhoa View Post
    What do I need to hook up a SHO to an NMEA backbone and does anyone recommend a particular backbone brand? I want to hook up my SHO to my Humminbird. Thanks
    I posted this on another forum but most of it applies. Good articles on the Lowrance site that would apply to the SHO also.

Basically you will need to setup a NMEA 2000 network.
    You will need two things from Humminbird, the 5 port Ethernet switch

140c Fishin' Buddy :: Humminbird » Fishfinder :: Depth Finder :: GPS Chartplotters :: Side Imaging Sonar Technology

and the NMEA2000 module

http://store.humminbird.com/products...NMEA2K_Adapter

Be sure to check the compatibility for your exact models.
    Personally I run a 958c DI and a 798ciHDsi at the bow and a 998c si and 788ciHDdi at the console. 798s are not compatible with the NMEA 2000 module.
    Next, you will need to check your engine for a NMEA 2000 interface cable. The best site to check is the Lowrance site:

Engine / NMEA 2000® - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

Lowrance sells the interface cables if your engine is not so equipped.

Lowrance also makes a NMEA 2000 starter kit that works really well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0P80FE3576

Garmin makes one too.
    NMEA networks need their own power. I power mine off of my power switch at the console.
    The Ethernet switch, the NMEA 2000 module, and the NMEA network all fit under my console.
    The Ethernet switch needs power. The NMEA module does not.

Two notes:
    Humminbird does not supply GPS speed or depth to the NMEA 2000 screens. Crazy I know but true. For GPS I bought a Garmin NMEA 2000 GPS receiver off of Ebay for about $90. Very nice receiver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-17x-N...item416509eee9

For depth you can get an Airmar NMEA 2000 In-Hull transducer. This operates at 235 Khz so it will not interfere with fish finders. It is sold under Garmin's name, Furuno, and just about everyone else.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Airma...FaGoPAodfzQAvQ

There is another possibility. Humminbird does output NMEA0183 depth and speed off of leads on the GPS antenna. You could get a converter to go from 0183 to 2000 and pipe it back into the Humminbird. I have not tried this.

http://www.wmjmarine.com/ngw-1.html?...FYGqPAodvV0ASA

Estimate prices
    HB Ethernet switch $200
    HB NMEA 2000 Module $200
    GPS antenna $90 (if they have any left, otherwise about $250)
    Transducer $250
    NMEA starter kit $70
    Engine Interface Cable $90

So maybe about $900 total.

I run a 998 flush mounted and a 788 on a RAM mount. I get the NMEA display on the 998 and run my chartplotter on the 788. This is a great setup. The 788 will also display NMEA so I could switch them.

Here is a link to my set up:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-...-four-hbs.html

If you have any other questions let me know.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

My last boat was a 12' flat with a 5hp Briggs

In our house, Frank, that is called "Simpler Times" a comment we make each time such a rig goes by - now look at us......and Rick, and so many others - used to be a great step up was a 9.9 and four new rods..........

Great reply, Rick, the best I've seen in one place. It took me a long time to gather that much information.
    Ray
    SemperFi
    2021 Lund 1875 Impact
    2021 Merc 150 4 Stroke

OK, what about this?

I ordered the Nmea2k Lowrance starter kit, the HB NMEA2k module, and the engine interface cable all from BBG Marine (Will be here Tuesday). Brian said this should be all I need to hook up the motor directly to the HB.

I guess I am still trying to figure out what I WONT be able to see and why. Couple of scenarios...

1) I have the older, round Yamaha Tach without Fuel Management (6Y8-8350T-11-00) but I do not know if it or the Speedo are hooked up to any "command link" system. Perhaps I could have just replaced that gauge with the newer one and avoided all of this, I do not know. If I had...
    Would that have required a command link hub, etc or is it just a direct hook up?
    If I did set up a command link hub anyway, will that allow me to display any other information on my HB?

2) You said that the HB internal gps and depth will not display on the HB display while displaying Nmea2K data.
    Can I use an old Eagle GPS puck thats installed but not hooked up to anything?
    Can I use an old Lowrance thru hull transducer that is hooked up to an Blue Water flasher ?
    I'm guessing you are going to say no I can not use these because these may not be Nmea2K.

3) I don't think I'll need the 5 port Ethernet switch at this time because I am only hooking up one HB console, right?

Thanks

Frank

2000 ZX 202-C hull

Quote Originally Posted by RayBersch View Post
    My last boat was a 12' flat with a 5hp Briggs

In our house, Frank, that is called "Simpler Times" a comment we make each time such a rig goes by - now look at us......and Rick, and so many others - used to be a great step up was a 9.9 and four new rods..........
    LOL, Ray the shear joy of being back on the waters where my dad and pa use to take me overpowered any other feelings I had at the time. Eventually though I did notice people starring, pointing, and twice even laughing! Once I put the 15hp on her it was a different story. I flew down the bayou doing 35 mph in a 12' flat. Good times but Momma and Grandma couldn't fit!

In my current setup people still stare and point they just don't laugh anymore.
    Frank

2000 ZX 202-C hull

6. Member
    I ordered the Nmea2k Lowrance starter kit, the HB NMEA2k module, and the engine interface cable all from BBG Marine (Will be here Tuesday). Brian said this should be all I need to hook up the motor directly to the HB.

I guess I am still trying to figure out what I WONT be able to see and why. Couple of scenarios...

1) I have the older, round Yamaha Tach without Fuel Management (6Y8-8350T-11-00) but I do not know if it or the Speedo are hooked up to any "command link" system. Perhaps I could have just replaced that gauge with the newer one and avoided all of this, I do not know. If I had...
    Would that have required a command link hub, etc or is it just a direct hook up?
    If I did set up a command link hub anyway, will that allow me to display any other information on my HB?
    I'm sorry, I don't know much about command link. I'm a simple man with a simple 175.
    I would try posting on one of the offshore fishing sites. NMEA2000 is used much more offshore than freshwater.

2) You said that the HB internal gps and depth will not display on the HB display while displaying Nmea2K data.
    Can I use an old Eagle GPS puck thats installed but not hooked up to anything?
    Can I use an old Lowrance thru hull transducer that is hooked up to an Blue Water flasher ?
    I'm guessing you are going to say no I can not use these because these may not be Nmea2K.
    You are correct. Unless they are NMEA2000 or converted to NMEA2000 they will not display on the NEMA2000 screens.

3) I don't think I'll need the 5 port Ethernet switch at this time because I am only hooking up one HB console, right?

Thanks
    You are correct. With only one unit you do not need the Ethernet switch.

I did find out that for my 175 if I want to get water pressure there is a sensor I will need to buy.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by rickmb View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't know much about command link. I'm a simple man with a simple 175.
    I would try posting on one of the offshore fishing sites. NMEA2000 is used much more offshore than freshwater.

I did find out that for my 175 if I want to get water pressure there is a sensor I will need to buy.
    Thanks Rick. I will do.

I am thinking that having a command link hub hooked up may allow ALL or much more of the Yamaha's stats to be displayed on NMEA2k.

My water pressure gauge is analog but coming right off of the motor. I can see that requiring an adapter or additional sensor in order transfer that to digital and/or to Nmea2k being that it is just a hose full of water. I'm pretty sure on the Yamaha Command Link gauges WP is displayable in a digital format. Now whether or not this can be shown on a Nmea2k with just a CL hub and/or CL gauge I do not know...

Thanks again and no your set up is not simple
    Frank

2000 ZX 202-C hull

Where should I hook up the power node for the Nmea2000 network? My fuse block is full. I do need to power the network using the node correct?
    Frank

2000 ZX 202-C hull