On Board Battery Charger Blinking Green Lights - Meaning?

I'm getting my Ranger ready for the water and did some battery maintenance by topping up the water levels. When I plugged the charger back in it is blinking green on the 100% LED on all four batteries. I'm used to seeing solid green when batteries are on full charge. What do the blinking lights mean?

Thanks!

I would say batteries are fully charged, but charger is providing a float charge or sometimes called maintenance mode. If it's a Minn Kota charger this maintenance mode last for 24hrs and then you should see the solid green lights.
    2012 Ranger Z117 / Mercury 115 Pro XS

3. Member
    Did this occur immediately after you plugged it in or after it had been charging the batteries for awhile?

4. Member
    Mine does that before they go solid green...just leave them sit for a little longer and you'll get solid lights. I think it designates a different voltage the batteries are receiving over your red count lights.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Guy View Post
    I would say batteries are fully charged, but charger is providing a float charge or sometimes called maintenance mode. If it's a Minn Kota charger this maintenance mode last for 24hrs and then you should see the solid green lights.

this.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    I had charged them overnight. One battery was blinking red so I took my dealer's advice and charged it separately on a different charger. Then I topped them all off with distilled water. When I plugged the on board charger back in they started the blinking green thing. I'm not sure I've ever paid this much attention to the light patterns. Normally when I finish fishing I just plug the charger in. When I look again all the lights are solid green. This is the first time I've seen them blink green. Also, because it's quiet in my garage where the boat is I heard a bubbling noise when the on board charger was plugged in. I wondered if the blinking was some indication of overcharge. Is there such a thing as overcharge?

7. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    On mine, it means that they are 90% charged. Solid green when they are 100% charged........ I think

The battery charger that came with my boat (with Ranger logo on it) will charge and then go to blinking green before going to solid green. After a while on solid, they go to blinking green again and back to solid. I always assumed this was the trickle or maintenance charge function working. I recently added water to all my batteries and heard the bubbling sound from one of the batteries. I did a quick search on here (first time I had ever heard it) and found some threads that seem to indicate that you should put the water in after you charge and not before charging so that the water will mix with the acid before you charge again. If you charge a battery right after adding water (especially if you overfill with water) you will get the bubbling of the water that is not mixed.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

9. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    The reason to add distilled water only to a fully charged flooded lead acid battery cell is to ensure it is not then overfilled after charging.

A seriously discharged cell's electrolyte will increase in volume significantly as it is being charged. The electrolyte level in each cell should be checked after fully charging so as to be just covering the plates.

Some bubbling ( or gassing) of the electrolyte is normal during multi stage charging.

10. Member
    What a great information resource this board is! Always get prompt valuable information whenever I've posted. THANKS!

11. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebw View Post
    On mine, it means that they are 90% charged. Solid green when they are 100% charged........ I think
    This is the right answer...................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"