Banned

Chippers - are they legal?

Are chippers legal? They are basically like a putter with a 37 degree loft, to be used around the fringe of the green where you chip with a putting stroke. I picked one up last night and now am wondering if it's allowed.

2. Member
    Scott, I am pretty sure they are legal as long as they can't be used from both sides. It has to either be a right handed chipper or a left handed chipper. Don't hold me to that but believe that is correct.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

3. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    My wife loves hers
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

4. Banned
    I hadn't ever seen one until a guy I golfed with had one and was really good with it. I tried it a few times and had to have one!

5. Member
    they are legal, provided you include it in your 14 clubs.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    they are legal, provided you include it in your 14 clubs.
    Is a putter part of the 14?

7. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    yes
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

8. Member
    They are legal, but as stated early they can not have two faces (hitting surfaces). A chipper also, must have a round grip. I've seen some with putter grips and the putter is the only club that can have a flat sided grip.

HP

9. Banned
    Anyone seen any rule changes regarding the chipper putter? Someone was trying to tell me that they are now illegal if playing under PGA rules.

Top Flite Chipper | DICK'S Sporting Goods

I have one I got when I used to play more in the late 70's/early 80's made by Ram. It's a handy little club but if I had to carry just 14 clubs, it's not one I'd carry. I can do the same with an 8 iron if need be.

Then again, there's nothing stopping anyone from carrying 15 clubs in your bag. As long as you're not playing in any sort of sanctioned tourney I've got no problems with somebody wanting to carry 15 or 16 clubs in their bag.

U.S.G.A RULE BOOK:
    4-1/3 Status of a Chipper

Q.What Rules apply to "chippers"?

A.A "chipper" is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a "putting stroke" when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to "chippers" include:
    •The shaft must be attached to the clubhead at the heel (Appendix II, 2c);
    •The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
    •The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
    •The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

12. Banned
    The round grip is the key. You can only have one flat-sided grip in your bag.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    Then again, there's nothing stopping anyone from carrying 15 clubs in your bag. As long as you're not playing in any sort of sanctioned tourney I've got no problems with somebody wanting to carry 15 or 16 clubs in their bag.
    Also, the score can not be used to determine handicap with over 14 clubs in the bag.