Nitro Z8 HDS 12 Console Install - Remove Bezel from Speed-Tach gauges

Group - a nice trick for Nitro Z8/Z9 owners (2010+) if you need a little additional space to flush mount or surface mount (as I did) your electronics - you can remove the sunshade bezels on the Speed/Tach gauges to gain additional space left/right on the console.

Originally I considered removing the Speedo to gain more room on the console (it only worked the first trip and I use GPS anyway). This was going to open another can of worms - trying to figure out how to cover the hole once it was removed so this was a last resort - luckily when removing it found that the bezel was made up of two parts and removing the outside ring (sunshade) gave me the additional room I needed for the HDS 12 mount. I haven't put a ruler/caliper on the bezel/sunshade but it has to be worth about .50-.75" of space (for each gauge).

The Tach is very simple as it only has a single connector (wire bundle) - so just remove/loose two small brass nuts on the back of the gauge/backing plate - loosen the gauge, disconnect the connector - remove the gauge/bezel - then reinstall - literally takes about 3-5 mins. The Speedo is a little more complex as it has several push-on connectors but isn't too bad to get them on back in order (just note how you pulled them off).

My boat is a 2011 but I am guessing this would probably work with any Z8/Z9 boats from 2010+ as the gauges look to be the same.

Bezel-Sunshade-2.jpgSpeedo-MinusBezel-3.jpgHDS12-Surface-Mount-4.jpgHDS12-Surface-Mount-3.jpgHDS12-Surface-Mount-2.jpg

I posted this trick on the Lowrance forum - but figured this would mean more to Nitro folks.

http://www.bbcboards.net/lowrance-ga...ea-5025-a.html

Good Luck.

-Jonathan

Not too bad, I like it. crossing my fingers the MY14 consoles will allow the bigger screens.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Bryan - thanks I am very happy with the install so far - it seems like the manufacturers will eventually figure out that electronics placement is key - it would be so easy for Nitro (or whoever) to simply take the largest sonar/chart units and build the consoles around it.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan

Well i'd imagine it can be expensive and time consuming to change the mold for the console.. But I hope they do.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    My idea would be pretty cheap for them - just get rid of 2 of the analog gauges (tach/speedo) as an "option" with a single Mercury Smart craft gauge - they wouldn't even need to change the mold - just dont cut both holes - just one - and move it as close to the side as they can - that might allow a HDS 12 to be flush mounted - it would be close...really though I would like no gauges but the Smartcraft module running everything through NEMA/Lowrance digital dash - in the mean time even if they don't change anything I know how to get around it.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan

6. Banned

7. Member
    455kHz - Thanks, much appreciated - the original install thread (time flies) where you can see the mount a little better is here...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=351344

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360