Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What hook are you using for 4 in beaver baits?

I like Sweet Beavers etc. but have trouble keeping them straight on the hook . Have been using 4/0 tube hooks. Is there something better? Thanks.

Any 4" creature bait I usually set up with a 3/0 Gammy EWG hook...its pretty much all I use.

3. Member
    I've used nearly every flipping hook out there- and primarily use sweet beaver plastics.. Best hook I've found yet is the 4/0 Paycheck punch hook. The plastics never slide down. Make sure to only use a snell knot- as it will kick the hook sideways on the hookset; ensuring a better hookup ratio.
    Paycheck Baits Punch Hooks 5pk

4. Moderator
    I'm a big believer in EWG hooks, but had multiple issue with hook-ups using this style hook on a beaver-type bait. I believe the straight shank/flipping/punching hook is the best way to go, IMO
    Steve

5. Member
    another vote for the paycheck punch hooks with a snell knot.

I also use the 3/0 EWG Gammy hook, but prefer the Sure Grip version by Ohio Pro Lure (ohioprolure.com). The neat keeper device keeps the bait from sliding down during a hookset. This not only decreases the chance that the plastic will ball-up, but also means more fish before the bait tears up. Here's a pic of one:

"The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    +1 for the 4/0 Paycheck

The new Mustad Grip Pin Max hooks look like a slightly cheaper and easier to find alternative (for me anyways). I'll be giving them a shot this year.

Do yourself a favor,and check out the SK Hackney hook,4/0-5/0...best bait keeper out of all the straight shanks

West Union,Myrtle,Etta, or what ever this place is called MS !
    I use eagle claw 3/0 ewg. Holds good for me

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lefthook3305 View Post
    +1 for the 4/0 Paycheck

The new Mustad Grip Pin Max hooks look like a slightly cheaper and easier to find alternative (for me anyways). I'll be giving them a shot this year.
    The "Grip Pin" Mustads have worked well for me. If you're throwing your torn up Beavers away, you're throwing away some great jig trailers. LOL!

11. Member
    Trokar flippin hook, bad thing about beaver baits in general is after a few swings they split right in the middle!

I like the pay check straight shanks a lot but prefer the gammy straight shank because they are easier to find by me and a bit cheaper plus gammy makes the pay check hook.

The gammy also has a welded eye.

13. Member
    I just switched from Trokar to Gammy 4/0 Super Heavy Cover Flippin' Hook and will never use any thing else!

I know this thread is old but instead of starting a new thread I used the search button and found this thread.

Has any one tried or used the Ish Monroe New jack Flipping Hooks? I was looking for punching hooks at Bass Pro Shops a week or so ago and this is what was suggested for good hook sets.

'94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

No one has tried those ^ hooks?

16. Banned
    I like those R2S hooks, they work well enough. I find I like Berkley fusion better for the money, of I'm punching I prefer SK Hack attacks.

I have never punch fished so I'm gearing up for it. I got the R2S 5/0 hooks and some Trokar 5/0 Flipping hooks today. I was tempted to get a pack of the Gam 5/0 flippin hooks.

4/0 Gamy Superline EWG for me. I’ve also been experimenting with the G-Finesse heavy cover straight shank this year. I usually prefer an EWG but like the straight shank on Elaztech baits (the Palmetto BugZ in the case of a 4” beaver style) as Elaztech Texas rigged on an EWG is a recipe for a bad time.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

[QUOTE=DrewFlu33;10279337]4/0 Gamy Superline EWG for me. I’ve also been experimenting with the G-Finesse heavy cover straight shank this year. I usually prefer an EWG but like the straight shank on Elaztech baits (the Palmetto BugZ in the case of a 4” beaver style) as Elaztech Texas rigged on an EWG is a recipe for a bad time./QUOTE]

Why? Please 'splain. I haven't used any of the Elaztech baits except the SK Zero soft stick. Used a Gamakatsu circle hook, somewhere around a #1 or 1/0 I think. Years ago...worked VERY well that weekend. Mostly wacky rigged. Obviously, with a circle hook, the point has to be exposed all the time.

There are some places where I like the Superline hooks...mainly having to do with getting the center of gravity shifted aft, to get a nice spiral fall with an otherwise unweighted plastic bait. Sometimes, I'll push the hook further into the nose of the bait to move the hook back farther. A drop of cheap superglue on the knot & eye will make this stay put through anything you can drag it through. Lots of odd things to experiment with in fishing...probably why I like it so much. That and exploring new lakes...
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

20. Member
    The only hook you need for a beaver. The 4/0 fits it perfectly.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owne...cpage-OJF.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast