Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

BASS Marshall Stories

Well I was reading all these debates about Ike's wreck this weekend. Everyone was talking about how crazy the pros are driving. I started to think. I want to hear peoples stories about being a marshal. Tell us what it was like? Something funny that happened? what you learned? Did you almost die while riding with them? Were they funny cool crazy? Just give us an inside scoop of your experience.
    Theres no substitute for guts

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFarmerKSU View Post
    Well I was reading all these debates about Ike's wreck this weekend. Everyone was talking about how crazy the pros are driving. I started to think. I want to hear peoples stories about being a marshal. Tell us what it was like? Something funny that happened? what you learned? Did you almost die while riding with them? Were they funny cool crazy? Just give us an inside scoop of your experience.
    Depends on who you're riding with. Going 78MPH in thick fog (could barely see the front of the boat) with Jason Quinn scared me to death - I was just waiting to crash. Edwin Evers going 75MPH going across what seemed like 6 footers was tough. But the worst ride I had was with Britt Myers... did not let up in large waves and rain going what felt like 300MPH in that Bass Cat. I almost bounced out of the boat a couple of times and crushed the "baby makers"! I almost vomited. It was so rough the livewell lids bounced open (luckily for him, no fish flew out). On the other hand, Rick Clunn had the center console Z9 and hardly broke 60MPH - he had no Hot Foot in his boat (only the hand throttle). He even sat "Indian Style" while driving. lol

FISHING FOR SOULS AND HUNTING FOR CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by LrgMouthCatcha View Post
    Rick Clunn had the center console Z9 and hardly broke 60MPH - he had no Hot Foot in his boat (only the hand throttle). He even sat "Indian Style" while driving. lol
    He's a strange cat.

4. Papap
    I talked to a couple of the marshals this weekend. They both love it. Both said they got to learn a few tricks from the pros.

I was riding with Chris Lane on the St Johns River when he hit something. We were doing about 80 mph. I barely felt it, just a little thump but it sheared his lower unit off. The next thing I knew we did two 360's The boat push under the water and started filling up. The boat just popped back out of the water. He grabbed his fish, we climbed into another boat and continued to the weigh-in.

Next day I was riding with KVD (I know, it's hard to believe but I did ride with Chris and KVD on the same weekend. I rode with JVD the weekend before and got one of those cookies) anyway i was riding with KVD and it was so foggy could just see the front of the boat. It was quite scary especialy after what happened the day before.

I drew Mike Iaconelli at Sabine last week. We hit this little ol' ditch canal not quite wide enough for two boats to pass each other without touching. Mike comes off pad to pass this pretty little gal sitting there taking pictures. Soon as we pass her he is back into it. On pad and going balls to the wall. Gotta get to them little green water devils ya' know. Well we get's down this creek a little ways' and there is this little ol' hanging branch out over the water ya' see. Mike swerves to the left a bit to miss it. Well don't he hit something and I mean hit it hard. Done spun the boat out and next we knows is we his headed towards the bank. Good lord blessed us though. There was this little patch of ramp material that made for a real soft landing up on shore. That would be 20 plus feet up on shore! Took some time but we got pulled off and kept right on a going. I'll admit I soiled myself a bit but that dumb sum bisquit keep mumbling something about seeing a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Trooper View Post
    I drew Mike Iaconelli at Sabine last week. We hit this little ol' ditch canal not quite wide enough for two boats to pass each other without touching. Mike comes off pad to pass this pretty little gal sitting there taking pictures. Soon as we pass her he is back into it. On pad and going balls to the wall. Gotta get to them little green water devils ya' know. Well we get's down this creek a little ways' and there is this little ol' hanging branch out over the water ya' see. Mike swerves to the left a bit to miss it. Well don't he hit something and I mean hit it hard. Done spun the boat out and next we knows is we his headed towards the bank. Good lord blessed us though. There was this little patch of ramp material that made for a real soft landing up on shore. That would be 20 plus feet up on shore! Took some time but we got pulled off and kept right on a going. I'll admit I soiled myself a bit but that dumb sum bisquit keep mumbling something about seeing a dog.
    You just won't give it a rest will you ?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Water Huff View Post
    I was riding with Chris Lane on the St Johns River when he hit something. We were doing about 80 mph. I barely felt it, just a little thump but it sheared his lower unit off. The next thing I knew we did two 360's The boat push under the water and started filling up. The boat just popped back out of the water. He grabbed his fish, we climbed into another boat and continued to the weigh-in.

Next day I was riding with KVD (I know, it's hard to believe but I did ride with Chris and KVD on the same weekend. I rode with JVD the weekend before and got one of those cookies) anyway i was riding with KVD and it was so foggy could just see the front of the boat. It was quite scary especialy after what happened the day before.

80mph???? I highly doubt you were going within 10mph of that...

Is the marshal program worth spending $125 for? I'm thinking about signing up for the West Point T.
    Jordan Langford
    2011 Skeeter zx200 w/ 200 SHO
    Youtube: ➡️ https://youtube.com/c/JLFishing1 ⬅️ Check it out!!🔥

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonecollector1 View Post
    Is the marshal program worth spending $125 for? I'm thinking about signing up for the West Point T.
    My guess is you are way to late. The spots fill up fast.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Here's a rundown of my marshall experience. Other than being somewhat amazed that none of the boats I was in hit any of the crap floating in the water, no real hair raising experiences bombing around in the boat. But some hair was raised when a crack of lightning went off directly over our heads on Day 3.

http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/...long-pics.html
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

12. Member
    I dont have a story but I love hearing the riding/fishing with the pro stories
    TKS

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    My guess is you are way to late. The spots fill up fast.
    Nope, there still spots open. I checked a few minutes ago. I have to call B.A.S.S. to register since I'm 16
    Jordan Langford
    2011 Skeeter zx200 w/ 200 SHO
    Youtube: ➡️ https://youtube.com/c/JLFishing1 ⬅️ Check it out!!🔥

14. Member
    80 mph, in a legend??

Well at 300 pounds I tend to slow them down a bit. I was an observer at one of the Elites on Oneoda Lake a few years ago. First day I drew Aaron Martens and on the second day Terry Scoggins. On day 2 I was chatting with Terry, telling him a story from the previous season on Oneida, my partner and I were fishing an Anglers Choice tournament when I was introduced to lightning. I told him the story of me casting a tube jig at a boiling pot of smallies and my tube and line just went into the aire at about 45 degrees, never coming down. WHen I asked my partner what the "?<&*! he hears the graphite rods start to sing. Needless to say we dropped everything and raced away from that area just before lightning struck.

Just before lunch on day 2 I get a weather alert on my phone. Terry and I both look around at high, blue bird skies, not a cloud anywhere. About 10 minutes later this BLACK cloud appears out of nowhere, his rod starts vibrating and singing, Terry turns to me ans asks "Was it like this!?!?", WE TOOK SHELTER JUST IN TIME BEFORE GETTING STRUCK. No problems with speed, just almost got electrocuted!
    1989 Champion 184 DCR / 1989 Evinrude 150XP

Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    You just won't give it a rest will you ?
    Not a chance in hell!

Quote Originally Posted by bonecollector1 View Post

Nope, unless you like to spend 8 or so hours sitting in a boat watching someone else fish. You do get free stuff but it doesn't compensate for the feeling of being a "tag along girlfriend".

18. Member
    I think it would really depend on which pro you draw. Some of them are pretty cool guys at least the ones I have had a chance to meet. I met Matt Reed last year at the local tackle shop I stop at every weekend to sit around and shoot the breeze. We were just sitting there and he walks in and starts talking to all of us and sat down and was telling stories about guiding on Lake Falcon. He pulled his phone out and was showing us pictures of some of these south Texas giants. He wasn't trying to sell us any BS and was a down to earth guy. I met Casey Ashley this weekend and he was really nice and talked to me and a friend after the weigh in about nothing for almost an hour. Now if you ended up with a guy who just wanted you to sit there, keep your mouth shut, and act like a statue then yeah that would be miserable.

19. Member
    I would say it is totally worth it. I have marshaled several times and have ridden with Scroggins, Marty Robinson, Jim Murray, Matt Greenblatt, and KVD when he last won on Ky Lake.

Sure not getting to fish sucks, but I learned more by watching in 1 day then I've learned by "trial and error" over a years time.

20. Member
    I had a friend who was a marshall on Wheeler Lake a few years ago, rode back from Second Creek to Ingalls Harbor in a nasty store with John Bondy. At one point they saw a funnel cloud over head going across the river as they were heading back. My friend is a conservative boater driver and he was scared to death riding back. However, he said Bondy was a really good guy to talk to. He also rode with IKE at Pickwick, said it was the most fun you can have with out fishing , watching him LOL!!!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast