Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    love reading these marshall experiences!

I do too no matter good or bad. I did one in Clark hill a few years ago because that was the closest lake to me they would be going to. Not a whole lot if fish catching and was boring at times. First day I drew bill lowen and he was a super nice guy. He was culling and told me to stand behind the live wells in front if the motor. A fish he didn't want to cull jumped out of the live well and hit me in the leg and went back into the lake. He was pretty upset the rest of the day about that. I won't say who I drew the second day but on the first stop he was complaining about his stomach and finally told me to stay seated look forward and close my eyes because his food from the night before had to make an exit. So he went to the back and relived himself. I never knew someone could take a crap that fast. Third day I drew Gary Klein and that guy is a fishing machine but not very talkative.

3. Member
    Rode with Zell Rowland and Chris Lane last year at Douglas. Was paired with Zell for the first day and met him at his hotel and rode to the lake with him. Backed his boat in the water and parked his truck while he fined tuned some tackle. We had launched at a free ramp near the Dandridge Bridge and he motored over to the marina where the take off was. While we were setting there talking his phone rang and it was Bernie Schultz wanting to know where he was at, Zell looked around a second and said something to the effect of "I'm right in front of you, you blind dumb ass". Bernie came over and talked while getting his tackle ready and then he noticed some mud in his carpet. Starting giving his marshall hell about not cleaning his shoes before getting in the boat. At blast off it felt like Zell was running mid to upper 70's and didn't slow down for any wakes or anything. I was too afraid to look at his GPS Haha!! He was a great guy and cussed like a sailor about everything. Watched him hook 3 that would have went about 3 lbs each on back to back to back casts and lose them all, you could see how bad it crushed him. His trolling batteries starting going weak about 1/2 way through the day and after weigh in I rode with him to the Skeeter trailer where some of there guys checked his charger and a few other things. Got to talk to Keith Poche there and when we got back to the holtel to Bernie Schultz and Terry Scroggins. The next morning I met Chris Lane at the marina where he was staying in a cabin with several other pros. He backed me in the water and I set in his boat while he went back in the cabin for what seemed like another 30 minutes. While I was waiting for him Steve Kennedy's wife backed him in and Steve couldn't get the boat to float off the trailer, ended up that neither of them had taken the front strap off and he looked at me and told me that I'd better not tell Chris. At blast off Chris boat was running about 70 (actually looked at his GPS) and he passed Steve Kennedy heading up lake. Chris took both hands off the wheel and acted like he was paddling as we passed Steve, got a good laugh out of everyone. Chris stayed up river all day flipping brush and had a tough day, although I think he did end up in the top 50. Very fun 2 days and well worth the $100 it cost me.
    Jason Ferrell
    Virginia
    2015 Skeeter ZX250
    2015 Yamaha VMAX SHO 250

4. Member
    I have not fished as a Marshall, being in Northern Calif. we don't get the Elites out here.
    I was fishing a big money team event in the Delta one year and the story of Rick Clunn going slow Indian style reminded me of that experience.
    When I launched and my partner parked the truck I was trying to get into a boat slip, the current was fierce and I could not get lined up so I put the troller down to slide in, well the trolling motor steering cable snapped. So I spent the next frantic hour trying to replace the cable which I eventually did.

I missed the blast off but noticed our local legend Dee Thomas was idling out of the 5mph area too and asked him if he had boat issues. He said no, he was finishing breakfast first and was in no hurry, the fish would be there when he
    Got there, why get your panties in a wad like everyone else he said. Turns out the old man kicked everyone's A$$ that day regardless. just goes to show ya!

5. Member
    I had a great time. Ott Defoe is a pro in every sense of the word. Gary Klien says nothing while he is fishing but still really good guy. And Tommy Biffle is not one you want to piss off but a really good guy none the less. I learned alot about how to tourney fish and had a great time.

6. Member
    Rode with Cliff Pace at Smith Mountain Lake and let's just say he was a very rude person . VERY

Quote Originally Posted by meeavey View Post
    Rode with Cliff Pace at Smith Mountain Lake and let's just say he was a very rude person . VERY

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Good or bad keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Bassmaster View Post
    x2

That does not surprise me at all

11. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I have a buddy who fished as a co-angler back when BASS still had them. He drew out with a very well known pro who still fishes today, on the last day of the tourney. After watching the pro weigh-in and win the tourney, he went to get his gear from the boat. The pro met him there and asked for $25.00 for gas. My buddy thought he was kidding, but he wasn't..

Dale Sinclair original

12. Member
    I was a marshal at Oneida last summer (2012). I screwed up and thought I was only in for 2 days so I made plans for the weekend, only to realize I was confirmed for 3 days just before I was leaving home. I had to back out of the third day. In the marshal meeting, I was then drawn to ride the 4th day and had to turn that down too! WTH? That was just stupid on my part. The guys sitting around me were turning inside out. I was then drawn to win a Mustang inflatable PFD...that was cool.

I camped right at the park where the tournament was out of. I was right next to Kevin Short and his wife, and only a couple down from Rick Clunn. I was also near Randy Howell, Ott Defoe, and Brent Chapman. Steve Kennedy was in there, Don Barone, and a bunch of other guys. I talked to Chapman and his wife for a while. I just started some small talk as I was walking by...didn't want to bother him since he was working on rigging his rods and straightening his boat for the next day, but him and his wife both kept talking.

I got paired with Zell Rowland on day 1. What 07Skeeter said about cussing like a sailor...oh yeah, that's an understatement. He's a real cool guy, very down to earth, and a major ball buster. In the morning, we pulled up along side Tommy Biffle and Jeff Kreit. They were all busting on each other, drilling on Kriet about his new boat (offshore center console) and how his kids don't even have shoes. On the water, he wasn't in a rush moving around the boat, but he had it to the floor running low 70's all day. While fishing, he actually asked me a lot about tournaments I've fished and about my kids and stuff like that. We also talked a LOT about the 2013 tournament on the St Lawrence river. It had just been announced that Wednesday morning. My family has a place up there...about 40 miles closer to Lake Ontario from where the tournament is. I watched him flip a jig with amazing precision all day. He also showed me a new knot for Flourocarbon line. All in all, he was great to hang out on the boat with. Cool guy, easy to talk to, and PERFECTLY clean boat.

2nd day I was paired with Clark Reehm. He was cool to ride with, a lot more high-strung than Zell, and his boat was a TOTAL disaster! Hooks, lures, line, weeds, dirt, and fish blood EVERYWHERE! He laughed when I said I rode with Zell the day before...he said something along the lines of "well, it's pretty obvious I don't take care of my boat like he does." HA! He was good to watch...fished a lot of different techniques, showed me some tips of using side-scan and how he rigs up some lures to get a few extra hook points on there. We were around a lot of people all day fishing weedbeds along the main channel. He was very talkative with the other boaters, which he was TOTALLY chewed out for by Edwin Evers after the weigh-in (that was entertaining). He talked to Randy Howell, JVD, J. Todd Tucker, and a few other guys.

The worst part of the whole thing was ZERO wind and bright sun, so I got cooked a little bit, even though I was using sunscreen. Also, they give you 1 shirt and want you to wear it every day...I wore an undershirt the first day to keep some sweat out of that shirt, but the 2nd day I didn't care since I was leaving.

I thought it was WELL worth the price and signed up for the St Lawrence tournament this year. I can't wait to see them fish the river and see where everyone goes. NOBODY will fish the big lake in the tournament...it's just too far away. It'll be really interesting to see what they pull out of the river...I'm thinking it's going to take 75-80lbs to win.

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    I have a buddy who fished as a co-angler back when BASS still had them. He drew out with a very well known pro who still fishes today, on the last day of the tourney. After watching the pro weigh-in and win the tourney, he went to get his gear from the boat. The pro met him there and asked for $25.00 for gas. My buddy thought he was kidding, but he wasn't..
    That's a steal. They pay $125.00 today.

Elaborate please... I got that feeling from the Classic blog.

2000 Sylvan Adventurer 1900
    115 Evinrude FICHT

15. Member
    I fished with Woo Daves early in his career at our Canadian Open which was a combined weight team event; a bit different perspective as opposed to strictly marshaling. I remember him being a very nice, calm gentleman, we had a great time. But what I remember most was the 12 foot cardboard Nitro he was running at the time (95’). We fished a well known spot in the dead center of Lake Ontario……….it was a scary trip for both of us. I don’t think Woo ever came back to Canada after that event…..

Good stories!

17. Member
    I rode with Kevin Wirth for the classic in New Orleans we had a fog delay seemed like a couple of hours when we finally left we were off to Venice could hardly see the front of boat two and a quarter hour drive down following Skeet Reese in dense fog using radar I was scared you know what he fish for an hour and a half turn around another two and a half hour ride back but at least the fog lifted the next day Sunday I go out with Kieth Combs and fish next to Van Dam and watch him win the classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfowlmagnet View Post
    Good stories!

X2
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

19. Member
    Dang good stories.
    2003 Bullet
    20xrd/300x

20. Member
    I hope I have a good story to tell after this weekend, I'm a marshal at Falcon

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast