BPS rod and reel trade in

I’ve never done the trade in program, is it pretty straight forward bring is any rod and reel and get $xx amount off or does the trade have to be in good condition or worth a certain amount when new? I’ve got a few combos worth very little that I’d like to upgrade and just want to know what to expect.

I have never done it either, but I have seen the boxes of rods and reels that were brought in for trade and some were in decent shape, but most were in pretty rough shape so I don't think the condition of the item matters. They give you a certificate and it takes a certain percentage off of a new rod or reel and it depends on the value of the new rod or reel. The higher the price the more money taken off. I think it is in the ballpark of 10%-15% discount depending on the price and store location.

3. Member
    Doesn't matter what condition.

Doesn't matter.

They also (at the the OKC store) have a basket of cheapo spincast reels that they sell for five bucks. I did that and turned around and got $30 credit for it towards a Tatula SV...plus the kids get a better reel than some broken down POS.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    *Applies to prices marked. This program does not apply to any combo purchase. Limit 1 coupon per new rod or reel. Donate all working rods and reels during trade-in dates and receive a discount coupon to be used toward the purchase of a new rod or reel. All trade-ins will be inspected to ensure good working order, and then donated to local nonprofit organizations to help with their outdoor Applies to all rods and reels including fly. Savings based on purchase price. education programs. See store for details.

New Purchase Price* on Rods and Reels SAVE
    $30-48.99 $5
    $49-74.99 $10
    $75-99.99 $15
    $100-119.99 $20
    $120-159.99 $25
    $160-199.99 $30
    $200-249.99 $40
    $250-499.99 $50
    $500 and up $100

6. Member
    I have done this before but in the grand scheme of things I get better deals from places like the TackleTrap or other online retailers. Let’s say I bought a $200 reel and assume I get $40 off. That is 20% off. However i also have to pay sales tax and also gas to get to the closest BPS which is about a 30 minute drive. Add those two factors in I am in the 10% off range.

I am all for the concept behind the program. I would have no problem donating tackle to kids or youth without needing anything in return.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    *Applies to prices marked. This program does not apply to any combo purchase. Limit 1 coupon per new rod or reel. Donate all working rods and reels during trade-in dates and receive a discount coupon to be used toward the purchase of a new rod or reel. All trade-ins will be inspected to ensure good working order, and then donated to local nonprofit organizations to help with their outdoor Applies to all rods and reels including fly. Savings based on purchase price. education programs. See store for details.

New Purchase Price* on Rods and Reels SAVE
    $30-48.99 $5
    $49-74.99 $10
    $75-99.99 $15
    $100-119.99 $20
    $120-159.99 $25
    $160-199.99 $30
    $200-249.99 $40
    $250-499.99 $50
    $500 and up $100
    I guess that's something that's changed because I do remember it used to not matter what condition they were in. I guess they got tired of taking everyone trash and I can't blame them for that.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    I have done this before but in the grand scheme of things I get better deals from places like the TackleTrap or other online retailers. Let’s say I bought a $200 reel and assume I get $40 off. That is 20% off. However i also have to pay sales tax and also gas to get to the closest BPS which is about a 30 minute drive. Add those two factors in I am in the 10% off range.

I am all for the concept behind the program. I would have no problem donating tackle to kids or youth without needing anything in return.
    Under most occasions I’d agree but I’ve also got a BPS gift card. I could use it online but then I’d have to pay tax plus shipping and I wouldn’t get the trade in discount.