Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    JD, my oldest son fished a Wounded Warrior tourney with Casey on Pickwick in 2015. They won the deal and he still remains in contact whenever he is in the Nashville area. Casey is a class individual no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    JD, my oldest son fished a Wounded Warrior tourney with Casey on Pickwick in 2015. They won the deal and he still remains in contact whenever he is in the Nashville area. Casey is a class individual no doubt.
    Exactly the person I met! Please tell your son thanks for his service and sacrifice
    Last edited by J D; 02-14-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
    Although I have never marshalled, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Keep em comin!
    Replying to the above from 5yrs ago, but, it still applies. it is one of the best threads I've read too.
    I got nothin

I too have enjoyed every minute of this thread
    Please add some more experiences to this Thread
    I would love to read more

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

5. Member
    great thread.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

6. Banned
    reading these old stories make me even more excited for the classic

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    It would happen a tone more if people did not have an investment in it.

As stated above, you get out of it what you want. They are not there to entertain you or make sure you get your $150 worth.... if you think they owe you anything, you are the jacka.. Everyone I have been with was way nicer to me that I would have been trying to make a living from the front of the boat. I learned a tone, but not necessarily ground breaking stuff that some seem to expect. I was very interested in their choice of knots, colours, scents or not, rattles or not, hook details, custom tied keepers, trolling motor set ups, electronics, electronics settings sensitivity etc and the list goes on and on.

I have had a bunch of tournament days with way heavier bags then the guys I rode with. Does that make me a better angler than them.... NO. Does that mean I was bored..... NO. Did I learn anything, YES

I read someone say that "it's all about the attitude" once or twice. I think he may be on to something!
    I was a Marshall on Barnett in the tournament I referred to. The $150 meant absolutely nothing to any of the Marshall's (I knew several of the ones who dropped out) that said screw it and didn't come back after the first day. Was it rough on the lake, yes. Was the wind relentless, yes. Did you get bounced around while running, yes. I could go through a whole list of things that would have kept the average guy out of the pros boats during that tournament. It was rough.

Not sure where in the 18 words I stated above that you think I thought BASS owed me or any other Marshall anything or was there for my entertainment but you can read anything into anything.

And as for the attitude...well...
    Hi Mike.

8. Member
    I have marshaled multiple Elite events. I have had great experiences in everyone of them. Mark Menendez was great to ride with on Pickwick. Nicest guy you could meet. More than willing to explain what he was doing and in the end gave me a tackle warehouse gift card & discount code. Can't beat that. Kenyon Hill was like riding with a comedian and very fun to listen to his stories as he fished. Paul Elias showed me a few spots on my home lake that I didn't know about. I still use them to this day. Overall, I think it is a great experience to do it. You are not going to get a somewhat guided trip for 3 days at that price.

9. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    My experiance as a Marshall

Marshaling on Table Rock Day 1 - Dennis Tietje
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=476927

Marshaling on Table Rock Day 2 - Rick Clunn
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=476957
    Last edited by sclark; 02-15-2018 at 01:28 PM.

10. Member
    I did a PAA event on Cherokee first Day was Brent Chapman in practice he was on them so a camera guy needs to ride with him to where we were fishing. I Ride in a camera boat and it takes awhile to get to where Brent was fishing. Seems like about an hour with no fish I get in his boat and he fished that area without a bite we left late in the day stopped a few other places and no fish. He was Super nice and answered all my questions and he was a machine fishing. Met his family when we got back super nice deal. Jason Christie second day. Not as talkative as Brent but super nice guy. If I remember he caught three fish that day was a great fisherman. The thing is at least for me after you Marshall with them you find yourself keeping up with their results for them to do good. Right after that Jason moved to the Elites and has done well and Brent won angler of the year.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    Greg Vinson twice super nice guy. Paul Elias once he was really stressed out about making the classic and started apologizing to me then set the hook on a five pounder, then we hauled ass to the weigh in high fiveing all the way. He told me at the weighin that fish put him in the classic. Not a elite guy but a flw pro Jim Dillard worst experiance I've ever had won't go into detail.
    Elias is a super nice guy, I marshalled with him and do find myself keeping up with his tourney finishes now and rooting for him.

12. Member
    Not a Marshall story but I fished the 2013 Northern Open on Lake Erie as a co angler and got paired with Derek Remitz. We were next to Charlie Hartley at the dock before take off and Charlie offered me some Dramamine. Having never been on Erie before and with some pretty good wind in the forecast I figured what the hell, can’t hurt so I took it. The boat ride to our first spot was insane, Derek just got up on top and sent it. They weren’t big rollers but felt like they were coming from all directions. I thought for sure either myself or my rods were going in. We get setup on the first spot and I’m already feeling weird. That medicine did not agree with me one bit! And wouldn’t you know it, James Overstreet is on us taking pics. Told Derek I wasn’t feeling so hot and proceeded to projectile vomit off the back of his boat. Felt like a total moron! As soon as that was over I felt fine and we went on to have a fun day. By far the nicest boater I ever had in my co angler days. He had 3 identical dropshot rods on the deck and got into a groove later in the day fishing isolated rock piles with no one else in sight to the tune of 22lbs. On the way back in we were going with the wind and he misjudged a wave and speared one pretty bad that filled the floor with water. Bilge pumps made quick work of that and we were back on our way. He hinted that day that the strain of the elites had taken the fun out of it. Heck of a nice guy and learned a lot that day.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

Good stuff!

Bump, keep them coming, good or bad.
    I got nothin

15. Member
    I never marshalled, but I have sat in the boat with 39 pros . Enjoyed every one of them. Sat with another 15 or so wannabes, some of those days not so great .

16. Member
    These have been a lot more interesting than all the normal BS that normally goes on in the Lounge even if it was resurrected from the past. Thanks for bringing it back up.
    Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    I never marshalled, but I have sat in the boat with 39 pros . Enjoyed every one of them. Sat with another 15 or so wannabes, some of those days not so great .
    I bet that was a crowded boat

Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    Elias is a super nice guy, I marshalled with him and do find myself keeping up with his tourney finishes now and rooting for him.
    Elias is like being in the boat with your dad but a lot nicer. Was his Marshal in 2015 at the Classic on Hartwell and again in 2017 at Bassfest on Rayburn. He's quite comical to observe. Tons and tons of cool stories. Very hard on himself.

I've rode with a bunch of guys over the years but my best experiences have been with KVD, Christie, Ashley, Herren, Lowen, and Roumbanis. Headed to the Classic and hopefully Bassfest this year, looking to make more everlasting memories. Marshaling is awesome!

20. Banned
    I love reading these experiences very much also. Great, great stuff.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast