Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did my first oil change today

I finally hit my 20 hour mark on my SHO so I changed the oil, filter and lower unit gear oil as well.
    In the user manual is shows it being done by using a suction pump to pull the oil out of the dip stick hole. I did it the old fashion way. I used the drain plug.
    For someone who hasn't done this yet you will need a 4mm and 5mm allen wrench and a 14mm socket. The screws on the cowling are 5mm. Remove the right side cowling. There are 4 allen head screw and 2 phillip head screws(located inside the engine cowl) Be careful when removing the allen head screw because there are metal spacers in all the holes. I almost lost one of them.

At the lower front of the side cowl there are 2 pins that go into grommets.

The drain plug is on the side of the case with a little rubber flap hanging off of it. I don't have a torque spec for the drain plug so I just snuged it down.

I used a bucket to hold my drain pan up high enough to get close to the plug and used a piece of cardboard to make sure all the oil went in the pan and not down my engine. The oil filter was completely drained so there was no mess removing it.

To change the lower unit oil you have to remove the water inlet cover. A 4mm allen screw holds that on. I used some aluminum tape to make a funnel so again no oil running down my engine.

---------------------------------------
    2011 Skeeter ZX200 w/SHO 200.

2. Banned

Re: Did my first oil change today (jwcfbd)

Very good post ! thanx for posting it ! They should lock it for everyones future reference

3. Member

Re: Did my first oil change today (The Arch)

Something I hope you did was to raise your engine up and down a few times while the oil was draining. The SHO is bad about trapping oil. Also, I hope you did not put seven quarts back in, because you most likely did not get all the oil out of the engine.
    I have hanged my oil several times, and on average, only put five quarts in.
    Hope this helps others, just some extra info.
    X

Re: Did my first oil change today (SkeetRJ)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by SkeetRJ &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Something I hope you did was to raise your engine up and down a few times while the oil was draining. The SHO is bad about trapping oil. Also, I hope you did not put seven quarts back in, because you most likely did not get all the oil out of the engine.
    I have hanged my oil several times, and on average, only put five quarts in.
    Hope this helps others, just some extra info.
    </td></tr></table>
    no I didn't raise or lower it but I did use a level to make sure it is was level. I put 6 1/2qts in it and will check it the next time out. All I can do now is see what happens and if I'm over I can use my vacuum pump to suck some out. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: Did my first oil change today (The Arch)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by The Arch &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Very good post ! thanx for posting it ! They should lock it for everyones future reference</td></tr></table>
    Thanks. I hope it helps.

6. Member

Re: Did my first oil change today (jwcfbd)

Just a note on my experience.

I used the suction through the dipstick method with the engine level. Once empty I tilted the engine every which way and tried draining again with no additional oil removed. Measured and it was right on the money.

Filled a little less than spec to keep the dipstick at 3/4.

I am an old schooler and was not crazy about using this method but now I am convinced that it works. I think it is a lot easier and removes the issue of losing screws and washers.

Great post though and I am sure many will benefit.

Modified by falcooon at 3:47 PM 11/6/2011

7. Member

Re: Did my first oil change today (falcooon)

Great how to.

Only thing I might add is:

1) trim the motor all the way up and all the way down at least 3-4 times while draining. Pause at the top for a minute or so each time.

I was amazed how much oil was trapped up un the heads. Each time I did this, I got a good bit more flow out of the drain plug... after I thought it was empty.
    2022 Xpress H18

Mine is soon...

My 1st change is this month...
    BUT I am letting the local dealer do just this 1st one...
    warranty issues are really helped IMHO by getting into the Yamaha database with the 1st service by a certified Yammy dealer...
    maybe I am way off base on this...just my gut for my engine...as I said...
    I already have what is needed to do the 2nd (100 hr/yearly) change...
    sort of demanded it to close the new rig deal.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

9. Member
    Turning the engine side to side while tilted up helps get more of the traped oil out.

10. Member
    You will know the torque of the drain plug by the size of the threads it is in the service manuel. Very good post.

11. Member
    As per manual ...Torque for "drain bolt" is 19.9 ft.lb and gasket is "not reusable".

thanks for the added info guys

13. Member

Just did mine...

Just did mine and like microsalmo and hooken203 say, tilt it as far up and as far down as you can several times, keeping it in those positions for a minute or so. When you go back down or up with the motor, you can literally hear the oil running down thru the motor and eventually out the drain hole. Do side by side as well with steering wheel.
    I've looked at the internal set-up of a SHO schematic and there are cavities where the oil gets trapped while in certain positions. Don't dig that but after looking at it, I can see why we would have to tilt several times and get the majority out.
    Just me .02 cents...
    Great post!
    2012 Skeeter ZX20
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Minn Kota 52" 112 US2
    FXP 26 Prop
    “Just Fish”

When I change mine after tilting the motor and letting it sit, I level it out then pump out the oil with a suction pump. I then put 6.25 quarts back in, that puts me right dead center in between the two dots on the stick and in my experience it runs best at that level or a little less. Much easier to use a good pump and suck it out through the dip stick hole. I bought my 7 quart oil extractor at west marine for $90.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. Member
    I did mine with the oil extractor per the factory service manual. Sucked out all the oil and added 7.5 quarts with oil filter change to get it to half way on dip stick. You do not need to take it apart. Simms Yamaha for the oil and extractor.

16. Member
    If you addsed 7.5 qts I'd recommend you check the level after running the engine. I would almost bet it will be over-full or at least well past the mid-point on the dip stick.

17. Member
    Meant to type 6.5 quarts.

18. Member
    Just changed my oil today (synthetic) at 120.2 hours. Very helpful info especially regarding the cardboard under the rubber flap. BUT, what wasn't mentioned is how far the oil shoots out when the drain plug is removed! Be careful or you will have a HUGE mess! Oil shot out 6-7 inches!!! Also found it interesting that the owners manual says oil can be changed by boat owner but oil filter has to be replaced by dealer! I replaced my own!

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    Just changed my oil today (synthetic) at 120.2 hours. Very helpful info especially regarding the cardboard under the rubber flap. BUT, what wasn't mentioned is how far the oil shoots out when the drain plug is removed! Be careful or you will have a HUGE mess! Oil shot out 6-7 inches!!! Also found it interesting that the owners manual says oil can be changed by boat owner but oil filter has to be replaced by dealer! I replaced my own!

John
    LOL Sorry for leaving that out. Oh and I also change my own filter.

20. Member
    Which way is better, pulling the plug or sucking it out? I'm leary about changing it myself but hate the thought of having to leave my boat somewhere for an extended period to get it done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast