Thread: trailer bunks

trailer bunks

any reason we havent seen manufactures go to composite bunks instead of traditional wood that has to be replaced

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyfeet View Post
    any reason we havent seen manufactures go to composite bunks instead of traditional wood that has to be replaced
    AND OR replace carpet with Gatorbacks??

3. Member
    I think I read where composite did not have the strength of wood BUT it has been years since I read that.

Having aclimated to gatorbacks since 2016, carpet is epic fail to me. I removed the carpet from my bunks a day after loading and it was still fully saturated with water. once I installed the gatorback, the bunk and boat was dry after a 4mile commute home. I'm sure the wood was wet for days but the hull was not
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyfeet View Post
    If you can find cypress that makes the best bunks, but it’s expensive and can be hard to find. It will not rot like today’s treated pine does and doesn’t absorb water like other woods. I’d still go with the gator backs though, no matter what wood I had.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    If you can find cypress that makes the best bunks, but it’s expensive and can be hard to find. It will not rot like today’s treated pine does and doesn’t absorb water like other woods. I’d still go with the gator backs though, no matter what wood I had.
    agree! Cypress is great but very hard to find. Had it on my prior boat.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

6. Member
    Composites generally have less torsional strength than wood as they have no grain structure. Ergo, you would have to have bunk supports every 16 inches.

Personally I don’t think I have ever had bunks just rot out completely and as long as there is a product like gator backs I will be happy to go that route

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739