using 6 gallon remote tank on 150 Evinrude

I have a 1996 Cajun with 150 Evinrude. It has an inboard fuel tank without any quick connectors. I want to be able to also use a 6 gallon remote tank also. If I put standard Evinrude quick connect in the fuel line so I could use remote tank would that restrict the gas flow to much for 150 hp?
    Thanks

2. Member
    A better way would be to use a valve to switch tanks. I think the quick disconnect would really restrict the fuel flow.

3. Banned
    Only way to know for sure is to install the quick disconnect fittings and then T a vacuum gauge into the fuel system just upstream from the fuel pump. Run the motor at wide open throttle while having someone view the gauge while someone else is driving. Specifications for fuel flow restrictions are posted at the Evinrude website.

In the olden days portable tanks with quick disconnect fitting were used all of the time. I still see them in use in Central America even with modern high HP outboard motors.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    Only way to know for sure is to install the quick disconnect fittings and then T a vacuum gauge into the fuel system just upstream from the fuel pump. Run the motor at wide open throttle while having someone view the gauge while someone else is driving. Specifications for fuel flow restrictions are posted at the Evinrude website.

In the olden days portable tanks with quick disconnect fitting were used all of the time. I still see them in use in Central America even with modern high HP outboard motors.
    No need to install a gauge on your motor, you have a low fuel pressure vacuum switch that will activate the warning horn with low fuel pressure.

5. Banned
    Now that you mention the low pressure switch I wonder why they are not used more often. What with all of the fuel problems being experienced by so many, they are a helpful tool to have.

Do all Evinrude's and Johnson's use a vacuum switch? Damn good idea IMO. I wonder why other brands don't use them, given the high number of problems related to fuel flow restrictions.

Having said that, I prefer to have a vacuum gauge installed so that I can see what is going on long before getting to the point where a vacuum switch is activated.

6. Member
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-07-2017 at 07:06 AM.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They were only used on the v-6/V-8 carbed motors. V-4 didn't have them. Once they went to DFI they were eliminated. A few folks install a vacuum gauge that is connected to the water separation filter housing.