Sprint 2000 296dc /johnson 200hp setup questions

Hi guys, I'm new on the board and would like to draw on the advice of some of you experienced sprint owners. I have a 2000 296dc with a Johnson 200hp motor. Prop is a renegade 13 x 23 and the jack plate is 8". I hear from other sprint owners that my boat is not running very fast for a sprint. At 5500 rpms (wot) I'm getting 51-54 mph (gps) with the water pressure gauge buried (it goes to 30). To the best of what I can tell, the motor is set up 1.75" under pad. The hole shot seems to be poor as well, with full livewells and 2 anglers/gear, sometimes she doesn't even want to get up on plane. I'm not sure if all this is a set up problem, a prop issue or a combination of both. I was going to send my prop out to have it fixed up but I thought I would start here to see if that is really the issue. Also, the prop doesn't have exhaust holes, is this a big issue? What purpose do they serve? Any thoughts, input and advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, Charlie.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Welcome to the BBC, click on this link, this is the correct way to measure your prop to pad ratio: http://www.bbcboards.net/champion-bo...ne-harper.html

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Welcome to the Sprint Forum. I'm seeing a couple things that don't add up to me. After reading Fred's link, determine your true prop to pad. Second, the 23 Renegade seems too small for a healthy 200. Do you have a weed ring around the prop barrel? I would think a healthy 200 would swing a 25 Gade to those RPMs. The Gade dosen't have vent holes like the rakers do, as they vent around the barrel. Start with the small things that don't cost $$$. Check the health of the engine IE: compression test, prop to pad, wot rpms, also it helps to know the rpms when you first hit it before they start climbing. Hope this helps some.

4. Member
    Thank you for the info guys! I will get the prop/pad info and repost. There is no weed ring around the prop. We still have ice on the lake up here, I will have to wait to get the start off rpms. Again, thanks for the reply's, I will repost as soon as I can get all the info needed.

5. Member
    I'm no expert but I think your under propped. You should be turning a 25p 14 1/4" to 14 3/4" with a 200... I have a 200 HPDI on my boat and I am hitting 70.5mph on the GPS... Prop is a 25p T1 15 1/8" Yamaha