Question 2008 SX170 Rod Locker Length?

Hello, I am new here.

I was out looking at an SX170 with a 115 Yamaha tonight and brought my new flipping rod with me. It's 7'11 and I couldn't get it into the locker. How long a rod will this boat accommodate? My other rods are 7'-0". Boat is super clean, owner says 30 hours and it looks it. I had trouble finding any marks/faults with it. Not crazy about only 1 storage locker, but with the folding tongue she should easily fit in my garage. It'll be my first boat if she has a good water test in a month .

Thanks

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I think it would be a snug fit for a 7' rod in that boat...i have the SX 190 and my 7's fit fine but the tips are up in the bow a little bit...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I was thinking it would be snug. I meant to bring my other rod, but just grabbed the big one. I didn't pay attention to the rods he had in there, hopefully it'll be fine, or I'll just keep them on the deck.

4. Member
    I put my 7'6 rid in my locker I have an sx170 2010 model

5. Member
    I have a 96 SS140 which is a 17'6" boat. Same thing as the sx170 just the older model.

I put my 7'6" rods in there without a issue. Pretty sure I could even put a 7'11 in there if I owned one.

Thanks for the replies, I will have to bring a light with me next time and see what I was hitting. It was short by a bunch, like 8-12 inches short. Basically the reel was at the edge of the locker. I really like the boat and it fits all my needs otherwise.

The SX170 is actually 16'8", so that could be part of the problem. The SX180 would be comparable at 17'8". I was able to find a 2008 brochure, but no mention on the rod lockers.

My SX180 will fit 7'6" rods with no issue.

8. Member
    Not sure if you're still looking for input here, but I have an '03 SX170 and I can comfortably fit a 7'10" KVD crankin rod. Always have a rod glove or something similar on the rods so they don't get hung up. As long as it's not on the bottom of the pile of rods, I can get it in and out pretty easily.

Thanks for the replies. We'll have to see the next time I visit the boat. Skeeter told me 7'-0"

10. Member
    When I recently looked under the bow panel, it appeared the front of the "rod locker" was just open and the rods could extend up past the end of the carpeted box. I'm not sure if the prior owner made a modification or not, but maybe it's possible you could tweak the front of the rod box a little and pick up a little more room for the longer rod.

11. Member
    I just put a 8'6" spinning rod in my 17'6" Skeeter rod locker, and it still has room!

I ended up picking up the boat. I've been playing with it and it's tight for space. I have a couple of 7'-0" rods and the tips are up near the bow of the boat, so I am not sure how others are getting away with the larger rods. I also have to keep them tucked in the back left corner to keep them straight. I wouldn't think others are storing them with a bend are they? The other thing I just thought of is the boat is actually 16'8". Maybe they've reduced the size a bit in that area compared to some of the guys with the older version??