Making a Multispecies boat bass-friendly...what have you done?

Seems there's at least a few others here who, for whatever reason, have chosen to use a "multispecies" boat for bass fishing. I suppose that some may do this because they truly fish for "multiple species" and so this type of a boat provides the best utility...for others it seems they've chosen this boat for other reasons, most popular seems to be because they normally fish big water that a bassboat is often not the best choice in--in my case I like fishing for pike as much as bass, but the big-water capability in a small boat is really my reason, but it means that I have made some compromises...it may or may not be the best tool for the job, but at times it feels kinda like a square peg in a round hole. Whatever the reasons, as I've used my boat I've butted my head up against a few things that are not as bass-fishing friendly as I'd like, and I'm curious what others have done about these and other issues.
    Since I just screwed up my knee I wont be doing any more skiing this winter, so I thought about doing some of the boat customizations I've been contemplating...figured some of you might have ideas that would help. My frustrations, in no particular order:

High sides--great in that 3+' chop as I round every point on Champlain, but it SUCKS to flip or pitch out of. I make due by fishing differently, but this is a frustration. How have any of you dealt with this?

short decks--rods dont lie flat, tends to get cluttered. I end up laying most of my rods with the butts forward and the tips laying over the gunwale next to the windshield. Works ok, but as I'm awkwardly trying to pitch my way down a shoreline I'll sometimes snag one, and I worry about losing something overboard or breaking a tip, etc... Shfishinstiks showed me his rod-mounting system (a vertically-oriented rack system similar to a salt-water type rack), but I often fish with a buddy and I'm not sure it would work well for me. Currently I've got my bow sonar on a portable carpeted board, but I think I may permanently mount it on the bow trolling motor deck--space savings for sure. That and a lure rack/magnetic bowl or whatnot should help keep the clutter to a minimum. What do you guys do?

rear deck--my boat just has an 18" wide seat. I'm pretty sure I'm going to build a +/- 24" wide extension onto this that I can pull it out when I want the space in the boat or use as fishing space for my buddy as well as extra storage. I have a plan in mind, but if anyone has done this I'm interested in hearing your experiences. I'm considering making the deck extension with an additional strip of deck that runs along the port side of the boat just to lay rods down on.

Any other likes/dislikes/frustrations with your boat? Any customizations youve made that you liked or didnt like? Photos are welcome.

Last edited by MacIntosh; 02-13-2013 at 07:27 PM.

2. Member
    I'm starting my third season with a "multispecies" boat. Mine's a 16' Tracker with a walk through windshield. There's never been a problem with the boat itself. It's comfortable and does what it's supposed to but as far as bass fishing it's a compromise for all the reasons you gave. A couple of other things I don't like are: Not being able to take it into shallow areas that a bass boat can work, sometimes that's where the fish are. The other is the way the higher sides catch the wind when your trying to fish an area with the trolling motor on a windy day.

Granted a multispecies is a better big water, cold weather boat and it's comfortable but if you're more of a bass fisherman and don't fish big water you might wish you'd stuck with a bass boat. If I had the room and money I'd have both but I'll be going back to a bass boat this year.
    Last edited by Zandokahn; 02-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.

3. Member
    Have a Lund Rebel XL 1625 and i love to fish for bass, as well as other species. When i ordered my boat, i knew most of the fish i was after were going to be bass, so i ordered it with a bike seat , fold-down rear seats (rear deck), a 80 lb. Fortrex trolling motor, port console and i maxed out the motor (75 hp Merc Optimax). I don't have the speed of a bass boat, she only does about 40 mph but that's ok, i can't get into trouble unless i do something really stupid and the gas mileage i get with the Optimax is incredible. I have two 7' rod lockers , and plenty of storage.

4. Banned
    just pretend you're still fishing out of a true "bassboat", and it'll be fine.......the bass can't tell the difference!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 03-06-2013 at 08:57 AM.

5. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    Sweet boat OhioChamp!! Those Alumacrafts are a great boat!

6. Member
    Ohiochamp, for all practical purposes you and I have the same boat...so I'm particularly interested in your feedback. Looks like your lack of the gunwale storage that my boat has may allow you to lay rods flat there, so color me jealous. you got any secrets on flipping out of your boat or controlling drift in the wind? (You got spot lock on your TM?) I don't give a rats behind what the fish think as long as I'm having fun in my boat, I just have some frustrations with my boat. Not enough to get a different boat, but enough that I'm fishing for some ideas on how others deal with the same issues. I figure maybe with someone's bright idea I can have my cake and eat it too.

7. Banned
    yea, I can comfortably lay 4-5 rods (8-10 if I stack them) from front deck - back on passenger's side, and passenger can do same on same side, rear to front.
    I installed rod hold down straps on both front and rear of that area.

Front center rod storage hold eight rods up to 7-1/2ft too!
    I do have spot lock on the Terrova I installed on it (not in picture. Picture was taken day after getting boat home, naked with no electronics yet)
    I've only fished out of it about a dozen times, so still getting the hang of a different type boat (last 4 boats were bassboats)
    Pitching (I don't ever "flip") out of it takes a little getting used to. I like using a 7ft rod when pitching. Alot less likely to have the higher sides getting in the way.
    As for the wind pushing the boat around more than a fiberglass boat....... well sometimes ya got to live with it.
    I was up on Erie though in the fall, with very little wind, and I actually benifited with this boat, because that little wind did push my boat a bit, which I wanted, and if I was out of a bassboat, i would have had to use the tm to get any boat movement at all.
    I really think having a boat get pushed more with the wind can be a real benifit at times!
    I like drifting with jerkbaits & cranks in the spring up on Erie, as well as tubes, and this is one instance where it'll benefit, because I like a good drift when doing so.
    The spot lock and record a track is awsome!

I'm also going to add a rear deck extension, about 18" addition, for the rear deck come spring.
    got a couple ideas how, but still trying to decide on best way.

if ya need any more info or want to talk, let me know,
    Jeff
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 02-22-2013 at 03:22 PM.

8. Member
    Thanks. What you are doing sounds exactly like what I'm doing, with the exception of flipping. I just finished putting plans together for a rear deck extension that will also work as extra storage, Ive got plenty of room so I was going to make it as large as possible from one sheet of plywood...that winds up being about 25" worth of extension for a 42" rear deck. Toying with the idea of also adding a narrow deck along the passenger gunwale just to lay rods on--I'll wait till the rear deck is done and maybe mock it up and see how I like it first.
    I think a terrova w spot lock is in my future at some point, but somewhere I lost the spare $1300 that was jingling around in my pocket. :)

Fishing docks is tougher for sure. But it looks like my deck is up higher than yours so the sides dont bother me much. Definitely tougher to control in the wind, but thats an oh well thing. Need it to fish Erie.

2000 Sylvan Adventurer 1900
    115 Evinrude FICHT

10. Member
    10.5" from deck to gunwale up front on mine. Wishing it was more like 6". Except when I'm out in the big lake in 4 foot chop!

Mines in a barn right now so cant measure. Off the top of my head id guess it at 7.5-8.5 inches. Maybe you could build a removable flipping platform?

2000 Sylvan Adventurer 1900
    115 Evinrude FICHT

12. Member
    I'm sure I could, but I dont know that doing so wouldnt create some other problems. The boat is plenty big to hold the weight, but it would make it really tough to get into all my storage, and it would put me WAY above the water. I think that alone could be a problem, both from the perspective of landing a fish, as well as standing on the deck in 3-footers fishing a reef. I'm sure I could easily mock up a 4" higher platform with a couple 2x4's and some plywood and see how it felt, but even if it was great the storage would be a deal-breaker.

I'm the type that has to modify everything I own, so if the above experiment worked, maybe when it comes time to recarpet it I'd pull the decks, move the seat bases and console 2' back, extend the deck framing back that same 2' and raise everything up a few inches...but really that seems a bit excessive! If the alternative is getting a different boat and the one I wanted is only available new it could be cost-effective to do that and just repower (or not)...but then again it is probably better to just trade it in for the x-190 that I so dearly covet at that point!
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 03-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.

13. Banned
    there's always some complaint, no matter whay ya got!
    I do know, that when I'm fishing for Great Lake Smallies, I'm sure loving my boat!

14. Member
    My fishing buddy may appreciate this more than me, but it adds some good storage too. The deck is actually level, it's the storage door that's at a slight angle. That door and the rod locker have a low hinge, so the 6" or so against the wall is at a slight angle to allow the doors to open. Makes the rear deck 42" x 70", pretty roomy.
    image.jpg

15. Member
    I put bluewater led so my alumacraft dominator and it works great for night fishing. I also have added a square Lakewood pedestal tackle system so it have my most used baits at the ready. Pockets are used for storing tools. I have down rigger plates mounted on the side so I can add my folbe rod holders or down riggers if I want to hit Lake Michigan for salmon.

I have a minnkota autopilot i pilot I love this thing. It makes fishing easier and don't have to have my foot constantly on the pedal.

One benefit of a deep v boat is the deck is higher so when it's time to sight fish to can see better because you higher up.

I fish out a Alumacraft 195 Trophy single console. i bought it because the PO was a doctor who babied everything. He set it up for Musky's, which I chase from time to time, but I have since set the boat up for walleyes. The one thing I retained from the previous owner was the rear deck extension. It makes the rear deck about 36 inches deep. While it does make getting to the live well a little more difficult, it's great. I've fished musky with three guys in this boat and no one had to go to the hospital. We were slingin' some big stuff on long rods, and no one ever got twisted up with their neighbor. There was no recessed foot control area for the foretrex. So..that came out and I also put in a Minnkota iPilot Terrova...LOVE IT! My gunwhales are very thick. In fact I can stand on them with ease and use the entire perimeter of the boat as a casting deck on a calm day. Don't try that at home folks. There is a lot of storage in those gunwahles, but their a PITA sometimes too. Shallow water is a challenge. Bass boats go where I can't, but that's only cost me fish a few times. If I was a straight basser I'd go with a bass boat. A Triton 21 XD to be exact. But...I like eyes too much now. Lightingmusky makes a fair point, you're a lot higher in the front.