Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tks yammer, rs no i always had a big setback, 10" or better, my best prop is a dah worked 29 omc/srx chopper, solo and lightened up, she hauls pretty damn quick, ,,with a partner and full livewells and loaded down i switch to a 26 mazco re4 on small lakes and a 27 omc/srx on bigger lakes. In tourneys with the 27srx i spin it at 6k to save fuel to fish all day, she runs around 75 loaded down like that, when i go for a spin with the 29 she turns it 7700 at around 93 mph . I don't know about the "rocket" boat, but the shadow is alive and well in Greenville , SC, they are in production as Evangelist perf. Bassboats, constructed with a tweaked hull design from the original, new full length decks, bigger console,and alot more modern materials, they weigh in alot lighter at around 775-800lbs. I've seen the proto types and now the first production boats have been sold, they are buildin' 'em right,1 at a time.

2. Member
    Cajun, ibeen in lafayette the last three days. I ate a poboy every day for lunch and etoufee for dinner in your honor! !

Quote Originally Posted by rgsauger View Post
    Cajun, ibeen in lafayette the last three days. I ate a poboy every day for lunch and etoufee for dinner in your honor! !
    LOL ! thanks,that is an honor,try a deep fried oysta' po boy,, my favorite !

4. Member
    Cajun, so is it my setback, height, and prop that had me glued at 60mph? Whatever it is...it sucks!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    Tks yammer, rs no i always had a big setback, 10" or better, my best prop is a dah worked 29 omc/srx chopper, solo and lightened up, she hauls pretty damn quick, ,,with a partner and full livewells and loaded down i switch to a 26 mazco re4 on small lakes and a 27 omc/srx on bigger lakes. In tourneys with the 27srx i spin it at 6k to save fuel to fish all day, she runs around 75 loaded down like that, when i go for a spin with the 29 she turns it 7700 at around 93 mph . I don't know about the "rocket" boat, but the shadow is alive and well in Greenville , SC, they are in production as Evangelist perf. Bassboats, constructed with a tweaked hull design from the original, new full length decks, bigger console,and alot more modern materials, they weigh in alot lighter at around 775-800lbs. I've seen the proto types and now the first production boats have been sold, they are buildin' 'em right,1 at a time.
    Got a link or some pics of the new boats? How about a website or place for orders?

The only pics i have are prototypes of the carbon fiber w/250xs, and a couple other glass layup test boats, can't really put 'em up w/out their permission yet, as they aren't what they would put in their showroom,they just got a new shop and really are just getting rolling, they have been building by orders to start,i think 10 have been delivered, there is one ahead of mine, no site published yet, it's all in the works.i'll be going down there for a visit soon, i'll have pics then,

7. Member
    Cajun, you're getting one?!?!?! Sweet!!!

If you have a sec, please answer my q's above.

Yes , getting one for a promo up here in my buddy's tohatsu/merc shop and having a carbon fiber/kevlar built this winter for my tourney boat,sending one of my shadows to SC so they can dismantle it for a look inside, and install a full width transom,fresh knees,brent is building a cool boat. ,, on your boat you need about 10-12" setback and prolly that 2.4 200 will like about 1.5" below the pad to start, prolly a 25p re3 or 4 mazco if your can is drilled, maybe a trophy plus if you need prop exhaust venting. Obviously you need a low water p/up, coned lower, or maybe those merc louver / scoop things that they sell. I know your boat is nice and dry/solid. I think you should get 70-75 out of her.

9. Member
    Be sure to post pics as you get them of your new rig!

My mid is not drilled on my motor.i will work on getting some setback and the merc water funnels and will repirt back.

10. Member
    Cajun, any word on the new Shaddow? Finished my carpet yesterday and took her out for a spin...wow! Night and day! Much quieter and feels more solid and less hollow. Just getting better and better!

Congratulations On A Superb Job & Thanks (also preview)

Wow! Thanks for sharing your restoration. From looking at the photos I could see yours is a little different than mine on the inside. I think due to mine being an older boat and having the kevlar hull option. Unfortunately I didn't get the experience you had with yours. My floor damage was due to weights stored in the rafters of the garage of previous owner falling and hitting the floor between the seats in front of the cooler right on the drain vent. I had to cut out the rear portion of my floor out to each tunnel and forward to where the console joins with it (kevlar's hard to cut too - you should see what it did to two tungston blades in less than 10 min. before I got smart and got some diamond tipped thin cut off blades for my angle grinder). I then cut out the broken piece of that flimsey center stringer and spliced in a thicker new piece tall enough to reach the floor made of epoxy over foam with kevlar mat. I also created two braces of same molding them in to mine's two main stringers on the inside of each tunnel. Once I was satisfied I had enough epoxy over kevlar mat in there I went back in with my new piece of floor out of 1/2 in marine grade double sealed with epoxy beforehand plywood molding it inside and out with liberal amounts of epoxy resin with the sawdust mixed in (yea I had this idea too -great stuff and brick hard once cured) and finished with my remaining kevlar mat all around where the new piece fits in. I then molded in two cut pieces of leftover plywood under the console for mounting my new Hotfoot throttle, and foot trim controls. Once I carpet over these you won't see them but it will give me added insurance of something to screw into as portions of this are right over the starboard tunnel -don't want screws protruding through the hull, lol!

As for the remaining parts of the small center stringer I liberally coated it with epoxy resin as far forward from the rear as I could (boy my arm was a mess with it after reaching up under there) and then as far back as I could from the forward drain vent and pedestal mounts once they were removed. My transom appears rock solid and mine has a different knee setup than yours did/does now which you'll see in my writeup once all my repairs and mods are completed. My repairs aren't as neat as yours but they are more than solid and I guess that's what will count in the end. I will say this, kevlar is a dream to work with compared to fiberglass -no itching for days afterwards and your absolutely right about the epoxy resin. I was advised to use epoxy though after getting my hull material verified being kevlar, and I'm glad I did -strong stuff.

Again you did a super job and I can't wait to see her with her new carpet. Thanks again for pointing me to your thread. I've learned alot from it and I look forward to reading more as things continue. The RapidJack looks great on her, and with that rock solid full length transom you installed I bet she'll pull wheelies, lol!, he, he, he. The Rapidjack I bought for mine is slightly used and is 8", the same as the old Bob's two piece that's on her now. When I install my RapidJack I plan to give my transom a good inspection and since I have a little CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) left over from my floor repair (I used it to strengthen areas I couldn't take apart for added insurance) I plan to use it to seal and strengthen the immediate areas around my motor mount holes again only for added insurance against water intrusion. My transom so far is rock solid. But then again having a kevlar hull I'm not sure what kind of coring was used in my transom. I'm 99% positive it will be some kind of wood so anything I can do to prevent water intrusion will go a long way in preserving the life of my transom. My boat was one of the Friendsville Tennessee hand laid boats as it's an 86.

Did your boat have foam in her? Mine does under the floor and in other areas which surprised me her being over 20 feet long (over 20 ft. flotation not req. by USCG). I of course made sure it was dry and resealed all of it I could reach with epoxy resin.

In the end your repair job is way more professionally done and much more impressive than mine, and I commend you for a job very well done. Enjoy the comments you'll get at the dock!

I almost forgot -I've been in contact with the guy building the new Shadows from the original molds Cajun mentioned. I have some photo's of the new boat. When he sent them to me he didn't say anything about not posting them. If ya want to see some send me a PM and I'll forward ya some.

I look forward to seeing more,
    Darth Venom
    1986 Shadow 20 ft 8 in Tunnel Vee
    1986 Rude 200 XP Looper
    Hoss 15 x 28 HPD & 14 x 28 Triton
    Ron Hill O/T 4 Blade Cleaver
    Hydromotive Intimidator Q4 15 x 27, & Yammy Drag 4 14 & 1/2 x 27.
    10" Para -Mount Quicksilver Hydraulic Jackplate.

12. Member
    Thanks for all the kind words, DV! I am on an ipad so will reply from laptop tomorrow. Look forward to seeing your pics. My carpet turned out GREAT!!! Pics soon.

Glad to hear it. I'll look forward to the photos!

I got my new windshield installed today and expect to have my new carpet by early next week. While I'm waiting I'll be installing my holeshot plate and begin the wet sanding with 2,000 grit where needed and buffing and polishing. I want to make an impression with my return to the lake, he, he, he.
    1986 Rude 200 XP Looper

14. Member
    Looking forward to seeing your pics. I've been slammed with work. Will post more soon. I used the 20 oz carpet from the bassboatseats.com sponsor on here. Pretty nuce. Went 20' x 8' and it looks great. A pad under it up front would be nice when barefooted.

I'm also going with 20 wt. which is another reason why I had to order it. I got it finally two days ago -21 x 8' so I should have more than enough. Some type of padding up front would be nice cause I rarely wear shoes aboard unless it's colder outside. I just am not sure what type of padding would hold up well and I have the forward livewell and my two tackle storage doors to think about. Your right it would be nice to pad this and I'll look into it. Since I'll be starting with the main floor and rear sections first I'll have time.

I do have a question for ya though you might be able to help me out with. My carpet guy only had 1 gallon of marine grade contact cement/carpet glue. I bought it of course but I suspect on a nearly 21 foot boat I'll need more. How many gallons of glue did it take to lay your carpet?

Knowing this, I can order what I need while I get started with the gallon I have. Thanks in advance.
    D. Venom
    1986 Rude 200 XP Looper

16. Member
    DV, this may come as a surprise but i used 3m 77 spray adhesive for almost the whole job. I bought some 77 and also 90 at lowes for about $8 or$10 per can. If i were doing ur again, i would just buy the 77. Worked great. Used 3 cans. Very fast setup. Spray both sufaces, wait 2 minutes, the stick them together. Let me kniw if any other questions.

17. Member
    Got the carpet in. Used 20 ounce from bassboatseats.com. very pleased with the carpet. Fyi, make sure you get the grain all running the same way. It is possible to be 180 degrees out and it will look like chit. Ask me how i know. I "might" have had to rework a hatch. Might...maybe...lol

Quote Originally Posted by rgsauger View Post
    Got the carpet in. Used 20 ounce from bassboatseats.com. very pleased with the carpet. Fyi, make sure you get the grain all running the same way. It is possible to be 180 degrees out and it will look like chit. Ask me how i know. I "might" have had to rework a hatch. Might...maybe...lol
    Glad to hear it -can't wait to see some photos. I thought you had already gotten yours in months ago. Heck, mine's been finished now for 2 months and I've taken her out. Having a few motor problems though I think mostly due to her sitting for 9 months -mostly fuel delivery issues. Had her out Sunday and couldn't even plane off. No power due to not enough fuel getting to carbs. Could be fuel pump, could be another leaking hose I've missed, could be fuel filter/water separator (problem seems to have started after changing filter) ??????? I'm not sure. I'll have to give it a full diagnostic workup.
    1986 Rude 200 XP Looper

Another thing I've noticed which could be one reason I have a poor holeshot. Mine being an older boat than yours doesn't have that vent in the step of my hull like yours and other Shadows do. I've heard that without it suction will cause a poor holeshot. While I'm not a fan of drilling holes in my hull especially just below the transom such as this, I feel it may be necessary. I plan to do more researc concerning this and if it turns out I need a vent there then so be it.
    1986 Rude 200 XP Looper

20. Member
    great job man !! hey,if i have a maim stringer down the middle and smaller ones on the sides,can i attatch-with clamps n screws and/or fiberglass cloth, "support" brackets between the stringers(these would be perpendicular to the stringers-beTWEEN the stringers,connecting them together) to reinforce them ? is that overkill ? is it a good thing ?? did i once read not to do this as it inhibits the little bit of flexibility a boat hull NEEDS ?....??

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast