New Yamaha Owner - ? ref service manuals

Hello fellas, new Yami owner and posted the following on Ranger board - so am reposting here....thanks!

I just got rid of my Nitro and am picking up my new (to me) 2008 Ranger Z20 in a few days - 225 Yamaha HPDI. Prior to buying the boat, I did a little research on the motor as I have only ever owned Mercs. I was able to pull up the owner's manual for the motor, but was not really that impressed with it. I know I have read a couple of posts on various websites where folks have said you have to be really careful with filter maintenance on them and that the owner's manual didn't include some of the filters that needed looking after. I'm looking for a decent service manual that will cover routine maintenance in detail and found the SIMS website who advertised manuals. I'm hoping ya'll have some experience with these or other manuals and can recommend one. If you have any other recommendations about maintaining the motor, that would be greatly appreciated as well. Now that I finally am the owner of what I consider the best boat on the water, I'm sure I"m going to have a lot of questions and will be on this site asking them - this boat has soooo much more than the Nitro I had and I have a lot to learn about it.......any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, fellas.
    2008 Ranger Comanche Z20/225 Yami HPDI

2. Member

Re: New Yamaha Owner - ? ref service manuals (Rommel)

I have the service manual and I purchased it from Yamaha. It is a great reference manual to have, but I have really used this forum more to tell you the truth. The posts at the top that are pinned are the most informative. On your motor use Ring Free, or Sea Foam, I used to use ring free but switched to Sea Foam. Other than that run it like you stole it. Have fun and good luck with your new ride.

06 Ranger Z20
    225 HPDI

3. Member

Here is the best Service Manual out there. It is a Yamaha Factory Manual. Pricey but well worth the money. I use mine all the time. Click on link below. When it opens click on Outboard picture and then when it opens you can put in your information on motor or just enter the serial number.
    http://www.yamahapubs.com/index.do

4. Member

Thanks, ya'll! I'm going to read through posts on this board and I'm sure I'll pick up lots of good info.....should be able to pick boat up this week, get a little familiar with it and do a little detailing. Will order the service manual. Thanks again!

5. Member

Buy the service manual it has so much info torques for every thing on the motor. This board is second to none very smart men here. Good luck with your new rig. You can IM me any time I have owned 2 Yamahas for 7 years and do all the maintenance my self.