Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lew's Speed Spool Reel

I am curious about the Lew's speed spool casting reel for $99. The overall opinion seems to be pretty good just wanted to see what you guys think. My main concern is the 10lbs of max drag and if there will be any drag slip when pitching and flipping when the drag is tightened all the way down?

2. Member
    Best $100 reel i've ever had my hands on. As far as the drag, i've really had to drive a hookset home with braid and a 7 1/2 ft flipping stick in order to get it to slip. Even then it was minimal. You wouldn't notice it unless you we looking for it.

Pushin\' Tin!!!!

3. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Best $99 reel on the market, i have made the switch to almost all Lews and i recommend them.
    You wont regret it, even the cheap Laser series is a good reel for the price.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

4. Member
    Love them. Switched over and I wish I would have sooner.
    Red DiRT Baits
    River Rat Tackle
    PH Custom Lures
    Zana Baits
    Solar Bat Sunglasses

Thanks for the help.

6. Member
    Love all 5 of mine.

7. Member
    They don't have dual brakes. At least I didn't see any. Rather the BPS Proqualifier for $100

8. Member
    who needs dual brakes??? been using baitcasters for decades before anyone even knew a "dual brake" was possible... plus, the lew's has a higher bearing count and weighs less the the proqualifier... and you don't have to buy them through bass pro....

Pushin\' Tin!!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbub19 View Post
    you don't have to buy them through bass pro....
    Bass Pro doesn't sell Lew's at all.

To answer the original question, a guy who runs a tackle shop in my area started carrying Lews last fall and he says he couldn't keep the Speed Spools on the shelf. It's one of his best selling reels. He has some and loves them. I have a Tournament, Tournament Pro, and more recently a BB1 and they're all fantastic reels.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

Who has the best deal on these reels ?

11. Member
    Badazztriton: From what I've read here before, Tackle Trap can hook you up. Board sponsor too.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

10-4 thanks LOVE OUR SPONSORS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Pro Shopper View Post
    Bass Pro doesn't sell Lew's at all.
    I know. I got a $50 gift card for bass pro and literally can't find anything i feel is worth spending it on...

Pushin\' Tin!!!!

14. Member
    Bought 2 last month best reels I got, I will eventually switch to all lews

15. Member
    I've got 8 and have 4 more on order. Tackle Trap (board sponsor) has a smoking good deal on them! Great to work with. As far as dual braking, you really don't need it if you do the magnetic brakes right. Daiwa probably has the best magnetic brake. But, lew's is pretty good too. If you know how to tune one it won't be an issue. Regular speed spool is an AWESOME reel!

16. Member
    I just bought 3 Lew's reels today and they will be the only brand reels for me.

17. Member
    Awesome reel none better for money give h2o outdoors in Columbia Tn. They got em for less than 100 and they are a sweet little reel

18. Member
    Around here, they are selling as fast as the dealers can get them in. Everyone loves them. I plan to slowly start replacing all my reels with them. It's about time someone put the halt on the ridiculous price increases from Daiwa and Shimano. I've heard nothing but praise for Lew's.

19. Member
    i picked up a Lews super duty yesterday, had been waiting to find one local so i could actually feel it and see the smoothness and i am impressed, will be trying it out today on a new cranking rod i got at BPS right after Christmas. If i like it, i'll be adding a few more over the next couple months. I always prefer checking out a new product before actually spending my money, there was a boat dealer open house here in town yesterday and there were some tackle shops selling product, glad i went by. i will give a review once i've put the new reel through the paces.

I'm now up to 5 and I have 5 more heading my way. They're awesome reels. Best $100 reel I've ever used. The BB1 is pretty bada$$ as well. Lew's is a great company and you won't be sorry for buying them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast