Daiwa MegaForce Plus Baitcaster

I saw that someone has one of these for sale on here. This reel has gotten a bad rap from many reviewers on sites like BassPro and Cabela's.

Daiwa | Reels | Megaforce® Plus

I own this reel. Mine was awful out of the box and I nearly took it back to Cabelas. It didn't cast half as far as my other Diawa Reels, the Twitchin' Bar was limp, and it was rough reeling. I like tearing down my reels and giving them a good cleaning and lubing from time to time anyway, so I decided to try cleaning this one before giving up on it.

I took the sides off and cleaned out a lot of excess grease and re-lubed it. I took the spring out of the twitching bar assembly and opened it up extra wide to give it a lot of tension. I used an exacto knife to shave down some excess plastic on the housing where the spool floats that was rubbing the outside edge of the spool as well.

Now this reel is one of my favorites. You can tell there are a ton of ball bearings in it because it reels very smoothly. It now casts every bit as far as my stock Zillion. The drag is smooth though not all that powerful. While the twitchin bar is a bit of a gimmick, it is fantastic for one handed jigging. I used it almost exclusively for Walleye fishing on a week long Canadian fly-in trip last summer. Fantastic.

I like it so much now that I was looking for a good deal on a second one (it is a steal at $70), but Cabela's had a Black Friday deal on the Diawa Viento (which is a step up from this reel and has the same twitchin bar) that I couldn't pass up.

With a little luck or a little bit of work this is a reel that any jig fisherman will love.

DaveJ

I have 2x left handed Megaforce two hen bar reels. The very first one iirc before the plus model. Any way I am trying to tune mine up so they will cast well. I can hear the spool slightly grinding on the body etc. How much of a gap do you hav3 now between the spool and the body. I’m just wondering if there would ever be any issues with the line getting in the gap between the two. Another thing I noticed is a screw from inside the gearing housing that looks like it may be rubbing on the edge of the spool. It’s like the screw is barely too long. Going to have to use a dremel on it or something to remove the excess screw material so it’s not sticking out so far. They were ok at best when new. I’m also wondering if sitting in the hot sun on the deck all day would cause the bodies to warp.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS