Tracker gas tank vent?

Have a new Tracker Pro team 175 with 60 Merc 4-stroke. When are you supposed to open/close the boat gas tank vent?

2. Member
    If it has a built in tank there is a vent already built in. There should be nothing to do but gas it and go.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

3. Member
    Built in tank, but there is a valve on top of cap that can be opened or closed.

4. Member
    that would be the vent then
    Bilco

Tracker went to the valve style vent at the top of the cap? My cap on my 2008 is a vented cap. I would buy a vented cap for it so i wouldnt have to mess with it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Just curious when you should open or close the vent? Should it normally be closed when not running motor, then open the vent just before I remove the cap to fill tank or open vent when I get ready to run motor then close it when finished?

Yea thats right. Closed when not in use but open before removing the cap or open before you want to run the engine. I like mine being always vented in the summer it gets hot in the battery compartment and fuel swells too much.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

During heat vapor fumes will also develope and create pressure. I would leave it open most of the time, especially in summer.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

9. Member
    Thanks, that was what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

10. Member
    I have tracker PT185, the vent is thru the top of aluminum behind the engine. Everytime I am sitting in the water or come to sudden stop. Water splashes up and into the vent. Thus ending up with water in fuel issues. If I disconnect the vent hose and plug it or figure a way of having it as air exit only. Or purchase a vented cap, will that work?

Other suggestions?

If water gets in then that is a very undesirable setup. If you have the same style fill neck and cap as the later model trackers like mine then replacing the cap with a vented cap may be a better option. Have never had any issues with the cap on mine. I would think an exposed vent hose would allow alot of bad things to get into the tank. Dust and water being the worst. You have a pic you could post of what you have now?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    The 98 has a flat fill cap, maybe an 1/8th inch lip then it's the screw on cap which is more like a cheap cap. The vent sits 6 1/2" to the left. It to has a low lip.
    1998 Tracker PT185, 75hp force

Quote Originally Posted by 911boat View Post
    I have tracker PT185, the vent is thru the top of aluminum behind the engine. Everytime I am sitting in the water or come to sudden stop. Water splashes up and into the vent. Thus ending up with water in fuel issues. If I disconnect the vent hose and plug it or figure a way of having it as air exit only. Or purchase a vented cap, will that work?

Other suggestions?

Same with my PT185... I can get water in the tank if I stop to fast when on plane (when water comes up over transom) I have to be careful and watch it...

Enough water can get in to make it run like sh*t, but not enough to ruin your day/trip... just pull the primer bulb off the motor, screwdriver to push the pin in, and prime the bulb and fill up a glass jar about 4oz is enough to get the water out...
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

14. Member
    Sorry to resurrect this years old post, but I've been researching a problem with my boat and came across this thread.

I have a 2007 tracker 175 that is intermittently running sluggishly at wide open throttle and I wasn't sure about the fuel tank air vent situation. My fuel cap seems to have a secondary cap on it... It doesn't remove easily and I didn't want to break it if it isn't supposed to pry off. Anyone know if that's my vent cap and should it be removed when in use?

IMG_20220501_190422976.jpg

IMG_20220501_190406531.jpg
    IMG_20220501_190422976.jpg