Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seriously looking into a 1998 481VS and a R91. Any thoughts?

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of these models? I was wondering if the back deck of the 481VS is about the same size as most boats or is it a little shorter length wise? I was looking at a few photos and it almost looks smaller to me? I fish tournaments and want something thats going to be comfortable all day on the water and ride good too. The R91 im looking at is a 2000 but a bit more expensive than the 1998 481VS. Just wondering if its worth the extra 2grand? I have a 374 right now and I need at least that much space on the back deck. Thanks for any input.

2. Banned
    Hard to tell which is the better deal without knowing all the extras/options and condition of either.

Also depends on what weight you put on some of those options...I look at the number of axles on a trailer as a deal breaker, as I'll never have a single axle again, but that's just me and everyone has different preferences.

3. Member
    Both have single axles. Thats not really a concern for me since every boat I have ever had was single.

I went from a "88" 370V to my current 482VS, hands down an awsome move. I wish mine had a 175Hp but the current 150 is fine for now. The rear deck is huge and fishes fine all day. Tons of room for me and any one in back. The 482 handles lake Erie fine, rough water is no problem. I agree with the above Duel Axel trailer is the only way to go. Dont forget the VS has the 15" set back to the deck is a true 18' it has a wide beam and is real stable in the water. i have fished out of several R-series and they are close, both handle awsome and fish big. Things to look for are front deck ext, jack plate is a must 6" will make either ride fly. As for the electronics pick the one that has the newest models, same for thje trolling motor as long as its a minn kota. lay them out side by side and list all the options and compare the 2 and you will 2k really is not that much of a difference.
    2007 Nitro 929CDX, 225 Mercury Opti.
    Hummingbird Helix 10/1199 Lowrance 9/12 carbon/Ultrex

5. Member
    Single axle trailer on those models is fine. The rear deck on the 482 is bigger and more comfortable than your 374.The rear deck on the r91 is bigger than the 482 by 8 inches if memory serves me right. Both front decks a about the same maybe 1-2 inches longer on the r91.

6. Member
    alright, well the one I am looking at is a 481 not a 482. Its a little heavier if i remember? Is a single axle ok on a 481?

7. Member
    another side note, the 481VS has a johnson fast strike 150 and the R91 has a 200 johnson Venom? One way better than the other?

8. Member
    The 481 is lighter than the 482 it should weigh about 1300-1350lbs. The r91 weight is about 1520lbs. The 150 fastrike is a great motor as long as it is not a ficht motor.Personally I would'nt have the 200 johnson.

9. Member
    thanks gonnabe the model # is J 150GLEC Do you know if that is a ficht or not?

10. Member
    sending pm

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyc View Post
    I went from a "88" 370V to my current 482VS, hands down an awsome move. I wish mine had a 175Hp but the current 150 is fine for now. The rear deck is huge and fishes fine all day. Tons of room for me and any one in back. The 482 handles lake Erie fine, rough water is no problem. I agree with the above Duel Axel trailer is the only way to go. Dont forget the VS has the 15" set back to the deck is a true 18' it has a wide beam and is real stable in the water. i have fished out of several R-series and they are close, both handle awsome and fish big. Things to look for are front deck ext, jack plate is a must 6" will make either ride fly. As for the electronics pick the one that has the newest models, same for thje trolling motor as long as its a minn kota. lay them out side by side and list all the options and compare the 2 and you will 2k really is not that much of a difference.
    Looking at a 1998 Ranger catalog the 481vs isn't listed, just a 482vs. From what I can remember about a 481vs is that it's an 18' boat with 15" of built in setback for an overall length of 19' 3". The R91 is 19'8" long with a supposed 8" of setback. Huge rear deck with cooler. I own a R91 and will say that say that it is an awesome rough water boat. Have the motors checked by a Johnson tech, and pay no attention to the Minnkota remark.

12. Member
    Alright, it honestly sounds like as long as both motors run then either one will be ok for me. I will be pulling them with a toyota 4runner so weight might be an issue if i go too big?

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWompum View Post
    Alright, it honestly sounds like as long as both motors run then either one will be ok for me. I will be pulling them with a toyota 4runner so weight might be an issue if i go too big?
    You will never pass a gas station. My 482 has a 46gal tank, So; full tank, tackle, boat gear and trailer you will have some weight. You will know it is behind you with youre Yoda.
    481VS
    15"
    Comanche
    19'3"
    single
    482VS
    15"
    Comanche
    19'3"
    dual
    R93
    8"
    Sport
    then "R"
    19' 8"
    Dual
    Last edited by scottyc; 02-02-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    2007 Nitro 929CDX, 225 Mercury Opti.
    Hummingbird Helix 10/1199 Lowrance 9/12 carbon/Ultrex

14. Member
    481VS I would not even hesitate to buy one of those in good shape if I were in the market. My buddy just got a 1996 one with a 175 EFI Mariner that is MINT for 9K. Here on the west coast that is a good buy for the condition it is in. I have run the Columbia in BIG waves in a 482VS and it is a GREAT hull. Obviously my vote would be for the 481VS. (My dad owns a 482VS and I owned a 481V for 11 years...should of never sold it.)

15. Member
    The only thing that scares me a little is that the carpeted area on the back deck of my 374 is about 41" long. I asked the seller to measure the 481VS an he said it was only about 35.5" long. I fish off the back sometimes and I want to make sure it's enough room? Any experience with that issue?

Hi, just my 2 cents, I have a 481vs with a 150. just like everyone says I wish I had the 175. but when these boats came out you could only run 150's in events. So is spending 13k for a new 175 is not in my current budget. (I can sneak a few rods and reels into the house but I think the wife would know about the new motor. LOL). My rig is 20 years old this year, and still going like she just came from Flipping AK. No hull problems, no leaking, no deck cracking or busted deck lids. I use my boat alot fish 3 trails and a once a week pick up tourney. So I am on the water alot. (except when there is 7 inches of ice like today, but leaving for some ice fishing in a 1/2 hour. I would save the 2k and buy some some toys with that cash for the 481vs. I used to pull my 481vs with a GMC envoy, thats the small suv like the trailblazer from chevy. Hope this helps. Lets see some pics of her when you get her home!!!

I had a 95' 482vs with 175 Evinrude Intruder for 8 years....loved it....sorry I sold it....I had a good friend in my bass club that had an R91 that was a 98' it was a little faster...a little longer......the front deck appeared to be he same..the length was gained on the back deck.....his had a 200 efi merc.......but walking around comparing the two there was definitely a difference between the two....mine just seemed to be a Ranger...the quality of the R91 while great....seemed to be less......I liked my boat a lot better.....

18. Member
    Quality is the same, the bling isn't.

I have a 481vs with a 175 mariner and i love it! I do a ton of fishin on Winnebago which is 136,000 acres of wide open lake and Green Bay an both get extremely violent especially in the spring and fall when i do alot.of my tournaments and i need to make 30 miles runs one way. The boat handles amazing in rough water and long as you know how to navigate the water you pass up most of the guys in 520's and 21's an the 40 something gallon fuel capacity helps alot too! I got mine for a smoking deal $7,800 with two hds7 and a new maxxum pro plus 1 year old agm batteries so with the cash i saved i am putting twin poles, 6" slide master plate, buff job and new skins on the seats in the next month or 2 because i plan on keeping it for awhile because it suits all of my needs.

20. Member
    Hey Fish Boy, have you ever had any problems with the size of the back deck? It just seems a little small to me. I asked the guy to measure it (the carpeted area) and he said 35.5" is that true? I measured my 374 before I sold it and it measured almost 42". Just wanted to get your opinion since you have one? Other than that issue, I am in love with the boat and will probably end up pulling the trigger on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast