Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member
    These bars are great! Nice job. As to theft... I have an alarm system for the house and an electrically operated/locked gate at the end of my driveway. These do not make it impossible to break in or steal stuff. It makes my neighbors a more attractive target than my place. Same idea. Easy theft is the most common. Thieves are lazy, otherwise they would have jobs like we do. Words straight out of the Officer's mouth after the break in that inspired me to get the alarm system and gate.

Quote Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
    Ya just might.....

The Loc-R-Bar makers have offered a reward for anyone proving this, but no one has taken the money yet.
    This has me thinking, would a tow strap hooked to the bar and a truck hitch work? I think so. If they want in bad enough they will get in.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    Can you please send me pics ? travi7@comcast.net

4. Member
    Or maybe a backhoe and a chain
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    This has me thinking, would a tow strap hooked to the bar and a truck hitch work? I think so. If they want in bad enough they will get in.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Can you please send me pics ? travi7@comcast.net
    Pic sent. 501-336-5941. Questions. Jim

6. Member
    Here's the truth fellers. With one of those portable electric grinders with a cut off wheel, a capable person is in your boat in less than 15 minutes. Don't care what you use. Those will can cut open the hatch lids if needed. Cut the padlocks off anything made in five minutes. I've got an old beat up one. Friend of mine lost the key to the padlock on his boat hitch. Took me longer to get the tool out of the garage than it did to cut off the lock. The goal is make the perp move on. Any of those systems with an alarm is probably the best you can do.

A little common sense will go a long way, but if they have time, and want it, they'll get your stuff.

7. Marty Donlea
    Pictures to 303-229-2496 please..... Thanks..

8. Member
    shoot me some pics please 330-519-6264

9. Member
    My solution, 1.25" solid steel bar locked through the lids.

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Use Rodney’s or the op’s setup and hook an extension cord to either end. Plug it in just like your battery charger. The fiberglass will act as an insulator, but you will be the only one that knows, at least at first. They will not look at it long there after.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I nominate this as idea of the year. Do you mind telling us where you got your pipe? Did you put any type of hose on the back side of the fittings for water to drain into bilge area instead of the rod lockers? It seems like water would get in there when it rains even though I don't think it would be very much. Again, great idea.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    You can buy the mounts that loc-r-bar uses from them.
    They are not drilled all the way through so no water will get in your lockers.
    Paul

The loc-r-bar is a really good idea and you guys have done an excellent job of making one. A lock will only keep friends out, though. If a thief wants to get in bad enough they will. They will steal anything that isn't nailed down & if it is, they will bring a crow bar or whatever else they need. Everything we use to keep a thief out is simply a deterrent, nothing more. But that is better than nothing. Thieves like to get in & out, unseen & quietly so don't make it easy for them. What I have in my boat didn't cost a fortune ( at least that what I tell my wife) but I would hate to have to replace any of it. 22 year LEO retired. Keep up the good work!!

13. Member
    That is what I did then built my own bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmc19057 View Post
    You can buy the mounts that loc-r-bar uses from them.
    They are not drilled all the way through so no water will get in your lockers.
    Paul

Unless you are parked in some unattended, isolated lot for a long period of time I would think the loc-r-bar would be a great and adaquent deterrent. I am no LEO but seems to me that a thief would not hit a boat parked outside a hotel room or at your house if he needed a cutoff saw, hammer or anything else that makes a bunch of noise and takes 10-15 minutes to break into. I think they would move on to an easier target.

We all know nothing in full proof but the objective here is to not make it easy. Objective accomplished.

Maybe that's why you were never an LEO. If you think they won't break into a boat, car, whatever in a motel parking lot, you live in a sheltered world. Granted they may not bring a cutting torch & tanks but don't under estimate them.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Bledsoe View Post
    Possibly
    Note in this pic about 3" down from the roll pin are dents... This is where I had it in a vice so I could hold it to "pound" the pin in. I purposely made the hole for the pin too small. If I would have known I was denting the pipe before I was done I'd drilled the hole a little larger.

I believe these are more of a deterrent than absolute break in proof. I believe thieves are looking for the easy score. All my tackle is insured.
    I think both of you guys did awesome jobs and has store bought looks !! A roll pin aka spring pin are designed to go in a hole slightly smaller. So if your hole is smaller Good luck with a pair of channel locks! you will need a hammer and the right size punch to push it all the way through!

To the people saying it isn't theft proof, neither is anything you own. Not many things in today's world is complete theft proof but most thieves will go for the easy target.

Those are my thoughts as well. As Blanchard said, nothing is really theft proof but anything that can slow them down or make them move on is worth the effort. I think you guys did a great job.

18. Member
    If anyone has any questions you can text me at 501-336-5941 for pic or info. I don't read this very often. Thanks Jim

19. Banned
    My answer to this theft problem is to take everything out of my compartments, and leave every compartment unlocked. I have been in parking lots of hotels a couple times where other boats have been broken into and trashed, and my compartments were just opened looked in and left alone because they were empty. No damage done whatsoever. I'd rather take the little bit of time it takes to empty my compartments and leave them unlocked for the thieves to get nothing or destroy nothing then to have my boat torn apart to get into the compartments.

20. Member
    BULLET 20xd * MERCURY 250 PRO XS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456