Side-imaging transducer mount on tin/no jack plate

I'm curious what others are using for a side-imaging transducer mount on tin rigs without a jack plate. I'm a little nervous about just using the humminbird mount. Is a transom-mounted TSS the way to go?

2. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    I wouldn't worry about it, just find where the point where you can safely mount it while running. I would install one of those transducer mounting boards and look at adding a transducer shield or saver too.

3. Member
    Thanks. I just picked up a 598 Humminbird, and the installation instructions basically make it sound like a regular transom mount may not work without a jack plate, as the engine will protrude into the side-imaging view. I can ask in the humminbird forum, just thought someone here might have done it already on a similar boat--I have an 03 Lund Mr Pike 17. The instructions really encourage the SI ducer mounted on a jackplate in conjunction with a 2d ducer shot thru the hull.

I had heard this question before from folks at some of the lowrance seminars. The rep pretty much told them that without the jackplate your stuck to just getting a reading off of one side from the SI.

5. Member
    Thanks. I'm not sure what the difference in ducers is between Lowrance and HB, but I've now corresponded with 3 or 4 people who are getting good SI readouts on both sides, in addition to on-plane depth, from the SI HB ducer installed on the transom of a boat just like mine, with no jackplate (including one person with the exact same hull and ducer). The only caveat seems to be that some boats will need to trim the motor up a little to get a completely unobstucted SI view. I'm going to proceed with mine, and will certainly post my results in the spring.

i have a 18 ft deep vee glass boat ( similiar transom setup to aluminum ) i had to move it around quite a bit to get 2d and si to work ....my 2d dies out at about 40 mph and up .....i bought one of those mounting plates which was very helpful ...(or i woulda had 20 or so holes in the transom ) im gonna raise it above the bottom and add a 2d glue in transducer for high speed ....i do get perfect readings of si on both sides...if you want a pic shoot me a pm

7. Member
    hi Mac, my boat 96 lund pro-v 18' ..si TD is about 9" from center of hull..just went to COLD garage and measured it..mounted on a TD mounting board from BPS..DO use a mounting board..sorry no pics..you need to look at the hull bottom to get a clean area..tested my location this way(don't laugh)..used a 1x6 board,yes wood,cut it to match the deadrise..mounted TD on board so it was level w/my driveway..was long enough to c-clamp to transom at the top of the transom..2 c-clamps..took it the lake and tested..only had to make slight moves..both up and down and side to side..at home took careful measurements and made many pencil marks..removed the wood and TD mounted the plastic board w/2 screws and plenty of MARINE sealant..3M fast cure 4000 uv..pump sealant into all holes and a good bead all around the edge..let that set about a hour..mounted the TD as per the measurements(fingers crossed of course)..worked well..way happy..locator will read to about 37-38 mph..good enough for me..has been like this for 1 and 1/2 years still good.. check now and then for tightness..and will read SI to both sides w/big motor(150 rude) trimmed down..oh, 898 Bird..will take ?'s later..finger worn out-LOL-..hope that helps RFHT bill