How do I elevate cockpit seats?

Hey folks,

Last spring i bought a 1995 javelin 367, and throughout the summer my only complaint is that the cockpit seats sit too low. I am completely restoring/painting the interior and exterior, and I was wondering if anyone had advice how to raise those seats so i can see over the bow better. of course, i want it to look great as well.

any thoughts are much appreciated.

Eric

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Make up a new frame to raise up the seats.

3. Member
    What kind of seats are in it. Those older seats were not very thick. Look at taller/thicker new replacements.

4. Member
    I guess my question would be how high do you need to go up? 2x4 framing stud layed down flat, frame out under the seat then install seat on top?

Just throw a boat cushion on the seat to sit on, or do like champman said..........
    Stroker 21
    Mercury 250 PRO XB

TN Bluewater dealer/rep.
    BBO

6. Member
    i would love to see pictures of the seats. i need some seats that are thin

Sit up straight. lol.
    What's the real issue? Is it a problem with seeing over the windscreen or you don't like how low it is compared to the console/wheel? Mine sit really low too, so I just cut down the windscreens.
    If you want to sit higher to the wheel, I agree with building a frame to mount underneath. Just stick some boards underneath first to make sure you get the right hieght and seal it with resin when you're done.
    1997 Stratos 282dc
    2005 Mercury 150 XR6

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ep72 View Post
    Just throw a boat cushion on the seat to sit on, or do like champman said..........

That is what I do, I sit on my throw cushion as a plus it is extra padding on those rough runs.

2002 Stratos 20xl prostar, 2002 VMAX 225 ox66

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Make up a new frame to raise up the seats.
    Sorry for the delay, had a new kid and he's taken up a lot of my time :) what I decided to do was build a 2x4 platform with marine grade plywood. also purchased new bucket seats from the bassboatseatstore. these seats are great. they are thicker and have more padding than the stock javelin fold down seats, so I wont need to do too much work to get the correct elevation.

again, sorry for the delayed response, but thanks for the suggestions BBC community! I will try and post pics when I can!

10. Member
    I build up my seat's with 1/2" plywood boxes I painted with marine paint. I raised the drivers seat 5" and the passengers 3". On my boat the drivers seat sit's 2" off the floor. The biggest improvement for me is my feet don't go numb on a long run.
    1987 Procraft 1780V, 150 Mercury XR2 Blackmax and now a 2021 Ranger Z185, 150 Pro XS.

DAV / U.S. Army 88-91.

11. Member
    I also framed out with 2 x 4s and hinged marine plywood on the front side of seats. Now I have additional storage under both seats. Ideal for storing self inflating PFDs.

I raised my seat last weekend with Presure treated 2x4's..I got tired of having to kneel in my seat to have a good view of what was out front of me.....laying them down (2x4's) was the perfect amount for my situation (read vertically challenged) a little measuring and about a half hour was all it took...The angle between the seat and steering wheel made the hinge screws a little difficult to install..I used a 90 degree drill attachment on my screw gun...Hope all goes well for you!