Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just purchased new 200 HPDI Series 2 Fuel additive recommendations

I coming out of a Evinrude Etec HO and went with HPDI Series2 this time around due to dealer incentives (significant dollar savings). That being said I used Stabil Blue fuel additive for my last motor. Should I change or is there a better product from Yamaha?

Thanks,

Flyswatter

2. Member

Re: Just purchased new 200 HPDI Series 2 Fuel add ... (Flyswatter)

I run Pri-G and Yamalube in every tank. I hear Stabil Marine is good as well. PRI out performed Stabil and others in independent tests.

Enjoy your new rig.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

3. Member

I also went from a e-tec 225 HO (after having two blown powerheads in three years ) to a 300 HPDI Series 2.

My dealer recommended i use Yamaha Ring Free in the fuel to keep down the carbon build up.I also use the blue Sta-bil.It gets kind of expensive but better than engine trouble.
    2005 206 Champion
    2009 300 Yamaha series 2

4. Member

I would also recommend running Ring Free once you have completed your break-in.

5. Member

Re: Just purchased new 200 HPDI Series 2 Fuel add ... (Slim Pickin's)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slim Pickin’s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also went from a e-tec 225 HO (after having two blown powerheads in three years ) to a 300 HPDI Series 2.

My dealer recommended i use Yamaha Ring Free in the fuel to keep down the carbon build up.I also use the blue Sta-bil.It gets kind of expensive but better than engine trouble.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a Evinrude 150HO Etec and loved it. Never any issues. Ran like a scalded dog. I came over to HPDI side due to savings from Dealer Incentives. I hope I have the same experience with HPDI as I had with my Evinrude Etec. Going forward am excited to own a HPDI. Many of my friends say I will not regret owning a Hammer.

6. Member

Okay. Starting from day one my motor maintenance action plan will include Ringfree and StabilBlue fuel additives.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flyswatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay. Starting from day one my motor maintenance action plan will include Ringfree and StabilBlue fuel additives. </TD></TR></TABLE>

BassinBarrister
    2001 ChampioN 206 Elite
    225 Yamaha VMax EFI
    25P Trophy Plus Prop

8. Member

I came from 3 Etics to a Yam series II. I use seafoam. Most like Stabil as well. Personally I do NOT care for Pri-G. I have used them side by side and no comparison for me. Unfortunately seafoam has gotten to be pretty expensive. Just use something to help with the fuel these days!

9. Member

Re: Just purchased new 200 HPDI Series 2 Fuel add ... (ShaftDilbert)

So how did you reach your “personal” evaluation of Pri-G. If you read the independent tests that have been done you will see there is no comparison. Pri-G comes out on top especially in helping reduce Phase Separation which is key with E-10 Fuel. Pri-D is used widely in the commercial shipping industry pretty much exclusively for a reason…..it works. I have used it for over 10 years and had non-laden e10 fuel sit in many small engines including my gen-set for years and start on the first or second pull and run flawlessly. Also ran it in my 92 Yamaha 130 for almost 16 years. Ran like the day I picked it up new when I sold it. The carbs were never touched once. That to me is proof enough. It is much more concentrated than Stabil and you will use far less to treat the same amount of fuel. It is proven to do a great job in keeping fuel injectors clean as well as reducing carbon and many other direct benefits when used. I never used Stabil Marine but I know the Stabil original product seriously discolors after about 6 months once opened which does not seem right. I had some sitting in my shop in the past that went from bright red to brown with deposits on the inside of the bottle. There is no track record for there Marine product so time will tell how that works but I prefer not to be part of there testing process. Pri products have been around since 85 with a great track record of working as advertised.

Just curious how you are able to evaluate which product worked better?

08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

10. Member

Re: Just purchased new 200 HPDI Series 2 Fuel add ... (Reata210)

Ah the beauty of freedom and choice.. I have used the Pri-G in the same conditions under the same load. To be specific, a HP bass boat under what would be considered extreme conditions.. ie Wakeboarding. Low rpm and high load with a motor that really is not intended to do so for long periods. I have done this more than once and the results FOR ME in these conditions were by far in favor of seafoam. Is that scientific? prolly not but I Pull the plugs and look and also look at the inside of my prop hub and even how the engine idles and performs. I did read all the outside independent tests of Pri-G. Very impressive its why i tried it. I really could not care less about what i read other than to get me to have enough confidence to try it, but i go by visible results. I am a realist and engineer by trade, i have no loyalty to any brand nor product and my decisions make or break me as far as employment goes and it is always based on results. I've been through too many blown motors so i am very sensitive to any changes in performance or odd things, probably too much so. As stated, for me there was no comparison. Use what you want, anything is better than nothing. I wish the Pri-G did perform for me as well as seafoam because i would change in a second due to the cost difference of actual use, but sadly it did not. The previous is how i evaluated the product to work better for me in the conditions stated. I can't say that PRi-G did not or has not worked for you, only that my preference between the two is seafoam.
    Good luck , its ok to agree to disagree...

Oh by the way I'll take the old Transom savers over the new ones anytime! And if i still had the spare stress gauges i got rid of i could record andprove it...

Steven

11. Member

I’m not debating on the merits of Seafoam VS PRI-G in relation to preventing carbon. I’m was comparing Stabil Marine to PRI-G relating to keeping fuel fresh and helping prevent phase separation. In this comparison there is one clear winner. Since you brought up Seafoam it does nothing to prevent phase separation, In fact it makes matters worse since it contains alcohol.

As far as carbon preventing and removal PRI-G with Ringfree works amazingly well. I guess my non scientific proof is 16 years of results on my last engine which was basically carbon free.

Yes....ah the beauty of choice.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

12. Member

Re: Just purchased new 200 HPDI Series 2 Fuel add ... (Reata210)

To each his own. By the way Seafoam contains NO alcohol.

13. Member

I also have more infromation on this subject that was sent to me as well. pdf files. I will try and add them.
    all this infromation can be found on there websight at http://www.seafoamsales.com
    Here are the simple facts:

Sea Foam is a blend of refined petroleum oils designed to clean, dry moisture and lubricate. NONE ARE CHEMICALS!

1. Pale oil is the MOST EXPENSIVE of the light oils available because it is very high temperature resistant and a quality lubricant. It is NOT waste! It is our basic protecting oil that is also a penetrating oil. Not a lite component, will not evaporate. Assures that Sea Foam will not affect lubricating properties of engine oils, other lubricants.

2. Our cleaner is an oil product developed to reduce old oil residues back to liquid safely. It is considered a "Lite" component, which means it is combustible/volatile an in the open air, will evaporate.

3. Here is where he made his biggest mistake. Our moisture drier is NOT an alcohol, not an emulsifier or suspender of moisture. The petroleum oil moisture drying oil we use was developed to dry moisture from FABRIC in the 1930's by Sinclair Oil company. It is widely used today to SAFELY quickly dry fabrics and other materials without damage during manufacturing. It is a lite component, and when exposed to any atmosphere will evaporate, taking moisture with it!
    Our moisture drier makes MOISTURE BACK INTO HYDROGEN & OXYGEN, eliminates it from fuels and oils, SAFELY!

These Petroleum oil products are specifically blended by PATENTED FORMULA quantities, using a specific method to become the SEA FOAM everyone LOVES!

I am attaching some Technical Bulletins, READ THEM!

Most Important is proper application. That is where one should have the proper background or training. Sea Foam is not liable for the mis application of its product, all liability falls to the end user! IN OTHER WORDS, IF IN DOUBT ABOUT A PROCEDURE, GET PROPERLY INFORMED FIRST!

Thanks for coming to the SOURCE!

Dick Davis
    Technical Services Manager
    Sea Foam Sales Company
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    G.A.S. is offline Reply With Quote

14. Banned

SEAFOAM

15. Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShaftDilbert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also have more infromation on this subject that was sent to me as well. pdf files. I will try and add them.
    all this infromation can be found on there websight at http://www.seafoamsales.com
    Here are the simple facts:

Sea Foam is a blend of refined petroleum oils designed to clean, dry moisture and lubricate. NONE ARE CHEMICALS!

1. Pale oil is the MOST EXPENSIVE of the light oils available because it is very high temperature resistant and a quality lubricant. It is NOT waste! It is our basic protecting oil that is also a penetrating oil. Not a lite component, will not evaporate. Assures that Sea Foam will not affect lubricating properties of engine oils, other lubricants.

2. Our cleaner is an oil product developed to reduce old oil residues back to liquid safely. It is considered a "Lite" component, which means it is combustible/volatile an in the open air, will evaporate.

3. Here is where he made his biggest mistake. Our moisture drier is NOT an alcohol, not an emulsifier or suspender of moisture. The petroleum oil moisture drying oil we use was developed to dry moisture from FABRIC in the 1930's by Sinclair Oil company. It is widely used today to SAFELY quickly dry fabrics and other materials without damage during manufacturing. It is a lite component, and when exposed to any atmosphere will evaporate, taking moisture with it!
    Our moisture drier makes MOISTURE BACK INTO HYDROGEN & OXYGEN, eliminates it from fuels and oils, SAFELY!

These Petroleum oil products are specifically blended by PATENTED FORMULA quantities, using a specific method to become the SEA FOAM everyone LOVES!

I am attaching some Technical Bulletins, READ THEM!

Most Important is proper application. That is where one should have the proper background or training. Sea Foam is not liable for the mis application of its product, all liability falls to the end user! IN OTHER WORDS, IF IN DOUBT ABOUT A PROCEDURE, GET PROPERLY INFORMED FIRST!

Thanks for coming to the SOURCE!

Dick Davis
    Technical Services Manager
    Sea Foam Sales Company
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    G.A.S. is offline Reply With Quote</TD></TR></TABLE>

AWSOME STUFF THERE! THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO

16. Member

Re: Just purchased new 200 HPDI Series 2 Fuel add ... (OhioChamp183)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OhioChamp183 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

AWSOME STUFF THERE! THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO

</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1......thanks for the info. I have always been a firm believer in Sea Foam and now I know why it works so well
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

17. Member

Info denied and info inferred...the beat goes on

We do know that Sea Foam has been around since the 1940s and used in about any vehicle or boat engine you can name...we also know Ring Free has been around some years now and we have heard of no problems.
    I have used both for many years and 3 rigs plus 3 trucks.
    What we generally lack in our sport is apples2apples independent testing of anything. There is no Consumers Union filing Reports on rigs, hulls, engines, additives and such. Its a sad state of affairs.
    You can't even get a company to run the exact same hull with a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke (both same engine hp) and report the performance results. We get partial or biased figures all the time.
    Compare that to the auto industry where every month they are testing vehicles and engines.
    Ever see anything published on the 5 year cost of a 4 vs a 2 stroke on the same hull? Not many prop comparisons either.
    I always default to this: they tell us want they want us to know and no more.
    So here we discuss additives...where is the link that tested the major additives on the same rig or rigs for the same number of hours?
    Absent the full facts (denied on purpose) just follow the manual-maker website-dealer advice.
    You have nothing else really.
    One quick thing: Two of my bros had BMWs and trusted CU Reports...but they always used the highest end oils like Mobil 1 and added Tuf Oil at times...then CU, after decades, actually tested car engine oil...your basic motor oils...and guess what? They suggested after testing that ANY oil (from Wal-Mart on) was fine and need only be changed every 5,000 miles (5,000)! This was about 10 years ago.
    My bros freaked and felt CU had messed up...reality is like that.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

19. Member

I have a bottle of Seafoam that says contains alcohol right on it. I used it prior to E-10 fuel. I think what’s most important is that you use something. I would not use an alcohol based product if using E-10 fuel. I use the OEM products that works for me.

20. Member

I never even mentioned Seafoam in my original post and was not comparing it to anything. It too is a good product with a deep following. I just prefer Ringfree in its place since it has worked for me over the years. In my original post I was debating the merits of Stabil Marine VS PRI-G.

If Seafoam contains no Alcohol I stand corrected. I guess I recall reading that either on a can or on this board.

There are many good products and choices out there which will always make a good read when debating their merits. Either way if my fuel sits to long I burn it up in my vehicles or other small engines instead on my OB.

Hope their hittin up your way, KO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast