Is this normal for throttle inkage setting?

2009 Pro XS 1B737258

Was looking at this n' that while I have the pan off and decided to check the throttle linkage... I ran across this a year or so ago and figured it was normal as I saw no way to change it...

With the throttle cable disconnected and the throttle arm held at full throttle and can still manually move the butterfly to open even more. The pics will show how much more. It's not a lot but hey... if there's something there - I want it! :>)

This picture shows the cam and follower. There is about 1/8-3/16" gap between the two. I see the adjustment on the cam follower roller but it appears to be a max adj. as it is.

For lack of a better term I'll call what I see in the picture as the stop block. The picture show it with the throttle are at full throttle. I can manually open the butterfly and close that gap. Like I said... it's not much but...

Yes that seems normal, i have about a 1/8" gap also. Pretty sure there is a link that says that you do not want to be hitting the armiture. I will see if i can find the link.

5. Member
    Thanks Bob.... Answered my question!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There may be room for further adjustment on the engine pictured (DO NOT, HOWEVER, ALTER THAT PLASTIC ARM WITH THE ROLLER ON IT!!!).

There actually is a stop screw hidden BEHIND the VST that controls the maximum throw on the throttle linkage.

Normally should be adjusted so that there is approximately 1/16" further travel available if you pull the roller away from the cam (don't have the throttle plate against the metal-boss or it's mechanical stop).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbrock1234 View Post
    Can you repost the pictures, i am having the same issue.
    Please open your own, separate thread (and provide your engine's serial number). This helps to avoid confusion and/or Post Hi-Jacking.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor