Official definition of a multi-species boat?

I see a few bass boats being posted in this forum and I'm pretty sure most people would not define a pad equipped low freeboard bass hull as "multispecies"...of course I know you can fish for anything out of any kind of boat...caught many bass out of my Lund!

But it begs the question, what exactly is the definition of a "multi-species" boat, I have not been able to find one on the Web...and if you look at BBCs forums layout there is a forum for virtually every kind of boat out there with an emphasis on bass boats for sure.

It certainly seems to be an advertising/marketing moniker rather than a definition of a type of hull or design since it seems to span a variety of hull types from trihull to deep vee to shallow vee to even flats boats with towers! From the discussions I've had with many anglers there seems to be some consensus that a multispecies boat is more of a hull design optimized for fishing in every type of weather condition and water body size short of offshore stuff where survival in ocean swells in bad weather would require self bailing hull designs and true deep vee hulls (over 22 degree deadrise).

Since this is a new forum with the title of "multi-specie", I think it falls on us to define what that means...at least in general terms...right?

Whats your definition?

Any boat that one can use to back & front troll, in big water and shallow, large long live well & bait well and deep v hull. Thats kinda my thoughts.

3. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    Good question, I guess it depends somewhat on your geographical location and personal preference. An angler in Florida for example may call a flats boat a multi-species boat seeing as they can fish both salt and fresh water, an angler however in the Northwest may call a jet/river boat a multi-species as well because of the ability to fish skinny water and lakes. A lot of anglers here are located in areas where walleye are not as prevalent as up north, but for example crappie are. Feel free to post about crappie/panfish boats here too, unless Al get's talked into a crappie forum as well!

The intent here is to provide members with a forum to discuss your typical walleye style boat. Deep V, center console, aluminium or fibreglass it doesn't matter, brands are also irrelevant, having said that we sure won't discriminate against different kinds of boats. More anglers are choosing deep-v hulls to fish out of, more tournaments are run on big, open water for smallmouth than ever before and there are a lot of members here who would like to have more information on set-up, speed, ride etc. There are lot's of different brands, sizes, styles of multi-species boats, I would rather not have to put a set of guidelines as to what a multi-species boat is, but if it is a boat (other than a typical bass boat) you would comfortably take out in 6 footers on Lake Ontario, Erie etc. that essentially covers the kind of boat we are trying to discuss here.

4. Member
    When I hear "multi-specie" I think Walleye boat as well, up here that is defined by Lunds, Crestliners, Yarcrafts, Lowe, Ranger and a few others.

I am not interested in exclusivity at all, I love all kinds of boats and have had a couple different types now. I find it very interesting what other anglers around the world use for their types of fishing on their local waters. In my neck of the woods Walleye boats are almost universal and by far the most popular style of boat, large cruisers and small bare AL hulls would be second followed by sailboats and a long way down the list would be bass style hulls.

Not sure I would want to be out in 6' waves in my 17' Lund SuperSport though, I was in some 3-4' waves once which was my fault for not coming in sooner and it was a scary experience especially when the water depth was only 6' which made the wave period very short. As a matter of fact a 6' foot water condition would be what I call life threatening!

Have we defined a multispecie boat?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck View Post
    When I hear "multi-specie" I think Walleye boat as well, up here that is defined by Lunds, Crestliners, Yarcrafts, Lowe, Ranger and a few others.
    and Alumacrafts!!!

Last edited by PolarKraft195; 01-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.

I went from a bass boat to a multi-species so I could troll for salmon, lake trout etc. and then turn around and fish for bass even in skinny water. The boat is comfortable trollin, bassin or just riding around. My wife especially likes the higher sides!
    Bugs
    2003 Ranger 620VS
    2003 Yamaha 225HP
    2003 Yamaha 9.9HP

7. Member
    Here is my definition of multi-species. A trolling motor and casting decks for bass and panfish (ok, pike and muskie too), kicker motor and side planer boards for walleye and downriggers for salmon/trout.

Catching all of the above in one day... priceless!
    Multi-Species Triton 205, Evinrude E-Tec 225 HO, Evinrude 15 HP Kicker

8. Goby King
    To me, a multi-species boat is one that you can stand IN rather than stand ON.

9. Member
    A boat you cant easily flip out of (interpret that however you want).

10. Member
    We are back!! Warrior Boats are a full deep v multi species fishing platform. We have Backtroller,Side Console and Dual Console models from 17'-21'.

WAR3776_0974.jpgWAR3776_0680.jpgWAR3776_0560.jpgWAR3554_1217.jpgWAR3554_0673.jpg
    Last edited by 1Warrior; 01-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.

11. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Warrior View Post
    We are back!! Warrior Boats are a full deep v multi species fishing platform. We have Backtroller,Side Console and Dual Console models from 17'-21'.
    Those are some sharp looking boats.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Those are some sharp looking boats.
    Thank you. Our website is finally up and running,or you can find us on Facebook as well. Tons of pictures on both sites.

13. Goby King
    I like what I see.....and I'm not opposed to taking a road trip for a boat!

Is Warrior coming to the Toronto boat show next week?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Warrior View Post

WAR3776_0974.jpgWAR3776_0680.jpgWAR3776_0560.jpgWAR3554_1217.jpgWAR3554_0673.jpg

15. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    Looking forward to seeing more info on your boats 1Warrior!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ontariobasser View Post
    Is Warrior coming to the Toronto boat show next week?
    No,unfortuantly we are not. we do not currently have a dealer in that area. If you know of a really good dealer that is interested in taking on the line, we would be more than happy to talk with them. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Thanks
    Troy

Here is my Multi species boat. My multi species is normally bass, crappie and white bass BUT able to go to the salty water after reds and specks a couple of times a year. I also don't worry about big waves blowing up on our resovouirs any more. loving it so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images