Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Driving the Lynx

I consider myself somewhat of an experienced driver. Not an expert but let’s say advanced. I have had no problems
    squeezing every mph I can out of my Lynx and did from day one. My problems come in when making turns at lower speeds. 50-60 mph. I can’t make turns at 50-55 that I could make at 70 in my Allison or even my Triton. I almost spun out yesterday. I have had 4 Tritons (hardest to stay on par without chine), Bullet 21XRD, and Allison Bassport Pro and this boat is the hardest to drive through turns. Seems to drift a lot if I don’t trim down. Wants to bite too much if I do trim down. This afternoon I did try to actually slow down a good before I got to the turn, then accelerate thru the turn. Seemed a little better but I guess it’s not what I’m used to. Any Input welcome.
    I am not reckless even though it kinda sounds that way, just trying my best to explain
    2019 Basscat Lynx
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    SN: 2B586555

Perhaps is a Hamby involved that was not on previous boats. The Hamby brand in particular.

Also the factory continues to suggest a very low engine setting in comparison to what others feel is similar on other brands.

3. Member
    I think driving a Basscat is different to driving most other bass boats in that it likes the engine sitting low. My Caracal performs the best with the engine sitting low on the jackplate. I have my atlas set at about 12 to blast off but drop it to like 2-5 to make my run. I also run a 4 blade prop and have no problems in the turns. It likes the 4 blade Fury 4 24 pitch much better than the Fury 3. Just my 2 cents.

4. Member
    I'd like to see performance numbers on the Fury 4 versus the Fury 3 on the Lynx Pro XS 4 stroke combo. I've heard Mercury is working on a new prop for the Pro XS 4 strokes. While sufficient, I'm not sure the Fury 3 is ideal for the new motors. I too had issues learning to drive the Lynx.... things are better now that I figured out where it likes to be on the Atlas. I now live in the 1-3 setting on the Atlas gauge. Much much lower than I was used to in previous set ups.

I do have a Hamby’s and had one on the Ally. I am waiting on my hydraulic jack plate to be made right now and maybe with that and more seat time I will learn the do’s and do nots.
    2019 Basscat Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I'd like to see performance numbers on the Fury 4 versus the Fury 3 on the Lynx Pro XS 4 stroke combo. I've heard Mercury is working on a new prop for the Pro XS 4 strokes. While sufficient, I'm not sure the Fury 3 is ideal for the new motors. I too had issues learning to drive the Lynx.... things are better now that I figured out where it likes to be on the Atlas. I now live in the 1-3 setting on the Atlas gauge. Much much lower than I was used to in previous set ups.
    I've been running a 25 Fury 4 on my Lynx / SHO, it handles very well, I lost 2-3 mph compared to a Yamaha T2 25 pitch. My Atlas shut down this weekend and was stuck on 1 all day. I was surprised, I could run 70 that low but my rpms were low with the prop that deep, the boat handled fine. I finally found a 24 pitch SHO T2 prop to account for our 2400 foot altitude and put that on last night, I'm hoping it handles well. Like you, I have gradually been running the prop deeper than I expected, but with the good results BCB has stated. SP1973: I think you will like the hydraulic plate, mine seems to run best all the way down at lower speeds, and then up a little for WOT, I wouldn't want to be without it.
    Last edited by mike464; 04-16-2019 at 08:49 AM.

7. Member
    Although I do not have a lot of seat time yet I am finding that mine wants the jack plate all the way down. It is very steady to 72 mph when the bow starts to hunt. I would be interested in some driving and prop set up help by Bass Cat at the US open (or before) if it was available. I am running the 3 blade Fury? that it came with on the Verado 250. Home lake is at 3600 ft +/-.

Any updates on driving this boat? I am still struggling. I am in my 3rd month with this boat. I feel this boat is designed for big water. I fish a lot of smaller lakes/ rivers with lots of twists and turns. Blast off at local tournaments is very nerve wracking in this boat. With the bow down, in the turns, this boat wants to bite, almost causing a hook, with the bow up it wants to drift. Add other boat wakes and it pulls hard left then right, or right then left and feels out of control. Most boats that I've had have no problems like this. I need help. I may try to get a video. I have owned 4 different brands and at least 7 different boats in the last 15 years and I actually feel like a novice. Any help is appreciated.
    2019 Basscat Lynx

9. Member
    I am having similar issues with my Lynx. Trying a 4 blade this weekend.
    BCB Puma STS
    Merc 250

10. Member
    It took me a while to get her tuned in also. I have the same set up. As others have said the motor should be all the way down for take off. Quickly add a little trim after the bow breaks over. This will help with the "bite" in the boat wakes after take off. Once the water calms I trim up usually no more than a 1/4 and also raise the motor on the plate to 4 on the Atlas gauge.

11. Member
    It took me a while to get her tuned in also. I have the same set up. As others have said the motor should be all the way down for take off. Quickly add a little trim after the bow breaks over. This will help with the "bite" in the boat wakes after take off. Once the water calms I trim up usually no more than a 1/4 and also raise the motor on the plate to 4 on the Atlas gauge.
    I need to trim to almost 2/3 after break over or the bow plows. Once I hit 50 mph, the boat lifts and I can trim down some. When driving below 50, I need to keep a lot of trim or the boat hunts.
    Tryi g a 4 blade this weekend. Will see what that does.
    BCB Puma STS
    Merc 250

12. Member
    I could see that working... so after 50 mph and the hull lifts you actually trim it back down as it accelerates? Keep us posted on the 4 blade. I might be buying one as a spare.

Actually, we prefer height when taking off for hole shot and relief venting, then lower the engine down for operation and mid range. The trim should be tucked in till the bow breaks over and after that start tapping the trim is short bursts to achieve top end you desire. Too much trim too fast reduces the hull efficiency.

Have you tried a 4 blade prop? I believe Wayne at Boatshop SA in San Antonio has ran a Bravo 1 XS on his Lynx, his Lynx had the Mercury 4S. I know that he and his son are big fans of the Bravo 1 XS. I know on my Eyra I can tell a big difference in turning between the 4 blade and my 3 blade Fury. Obviously a completely different boat but might be worth a try if you could try one out.

15. Member
    My prop will blow out if its above 10 on the Atlas gauge.

My prop will blow out if its above 10 on the Atlas gauge.
    You could also post on the Facebook Bass Cat Owners and get some info. Wayne (mentioned above) has ran the Bravo 1 XS on about every Bass Cat model made including his current Lynx. He or his son could give you some info that might be helpful I’m sure, I believe he’s more active on the Facebook page.

I'm mostly running a Fury 4 on my Lynx / SHO, I know Jeff Dobson (FLW) was running a Fury 4 on his 4 stroke Mercury as well and liked it better than the Fury 3. I took BassCat's advice and really run mine low, I takeoff at around 10 on the Atlas if my livewells are full, 2 guys, plenty of gas, and drop it down to one as soon as it breaks over. With a 3 blade I keep the plate at 1 or 2 and with the 4 blade I don't go above 4 while running above 50, below 50 I keep it bottomed out on 1. I trim up enough so the hull pops free and adjust from there.

Thanks To all for the replies. I have not tried a fury four or a bravo XS I ran a bravo xs on my last two boats and they did really well. To the guys that are already running either at Bravo xs or a fury 4, are you staying with the same pitch or having to go up

On the Bob’s plate I start out fully trimmed down and about 3 to 4 inches up. I start jacking down almost immediately As the bow starts to fall
    Then start trimming up
    2019 Basscat Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Fishndav View Post
    I am having similar issues with my Lynx. Trying a 4 blade this weekend.
    L let me know w how that goes please sir! Thanks
    2019 Basscat Lynx

I'm running the same pitch in the 3 and 4 blades, a Yamaha T2, and the fury 4. I run a 24p at 2400 feet and a 25p closer to sea level, on a SHO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast