Thread: Alumaducer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Alumaducer

Just wondering if any of you guys are running an Alumaducer in your tin for thru hull speed depth readings? Ive considered it a couple times but have read mixed reviews but figured somebody here would have some good input like always
    thanks!

Yes, I am in my Tracker PT 170 TX. I use it with a Eagle Cuda 300 now and originally I had it connected to the Lowrance X51 Pro that came with the boat. I haven't connected it to one of my Humminbird units.
    I put that in when I first got the boat since I fish in timber/stumps a lot. The transom mounted Lowrance transducer got broken off within the first 5 minutes I was on the water-I expected that.

As Greg stated in your other post, air bubbles across the hull will be your issue. Depressions, dents, etc along the hull in the water's path to the transducer location will prevent
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks wayne. I read gregs post too. So far all the info is the same as the pm you sent me lol. My tracker runs quite a bit of speed thats why placement will be pretty tough not knowing 100% where im tunning on the hull. But my hull is in good shape free of dents so i might give it a go this spring who knows. Where abouts is yours mounted in your hull. Just for curiosities sake? Thanks

Mine is just in front of the hull drain a little off center.

IF you go that route, do the proper shoot-thru testing like anyone would do with a shoot-thru fiberglass installation.
    Put water in the hull, choose a location, put some weight on the transducer (sand bag, etc) run the boat at all speeds to see what readings you get. Reposition as needed until you get the right spot. THEN, clean, and adhere the transduer to the hull.

You can also just get a 2D transom mount transducer and put that on the hull step level of the hull drain,not in line with the prop where the 2012 model year transducers are factory installed. Then use the Y cable to connect the two transducers to the display.
    The smaller transom transducer will be easier to get high speed depth readings than the HDSI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I never thought of the transom mount ducer installed like the new models........thats an awesome idea! I still have the 2d ducer from my old 788 i had at the console. Then all i would need is the y cable to connect the 2. Is the speed readings with that setup pretty decent for the most part? Im not asking it to be perfect all the time. Thanks wayne!

6. Member
    Just for the heck of it ....... try your current 'ducer in the test Wayne mentioned.

A few years ago, not meaning to, I found out that my Lowrance skimmer would shoot through the .125" hull of my Xpress. Readings were good enough (even at WOT at 49-51mph) to accurately read the bottom and all it's irregularities. The only thing I noticed was sensitivity was not near as good. Not terrible, but I would say enough that it wasn't marking bait near as well.

Good Luck!

Thanks ive heard of a few guys doing the same as you with the same results you have. I think im gonna order a y cable next week or something and give it a shot. If i dnt like it im not out much. Even if i get good readings up to 50 mph id be pleased i can hit 55-57 mph but i cruise at 45-48 mph so probly should work pretty nice if i get it set right. Thanks for the help!

8. Member
    Yea, my stock, carb'd 75 will only run up to 49-51. The bottom signal was pretty strong up till about 43-44mph. At that point the hyperlift hull really starts lifting and the hull starts chattering ..... it was then that bottom signal was becoming faint.

9. Member
    Thats scooting right along for a 75.

10. Member
    Ship ........ this is my buddies boat (identical to my old boat except mine had a console and was a little slower where as his is tiller steer) ....... worth watching the videos. His runs a little stronger than mine (+56mpg with the 75).

http://www.bbcboards.net/xpress-boat...eed-demon.html

There's a thread about my new Xpress in the Xpress board .... and it has a link to my old boat.

Thanks for the info everybody. Im just gonna order a y cable and put the ducer under the step and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    Yea, my stock, carb'd 75 will only run up to 49-51. The bottom signal was pretty strong up till about 43-44mph. At that point the hyperlift hull really starts lifting and the hull starts chattering ..... it was then that bottom signal was becoming faint.
    Is that speed measured via gps???? What are your boats specs? That seems fast for a 75. Just wondering. Because i had to put alot of work into my setup to achieve 57.4 mph gps and i have a 115 opti on my tracker 175 with a 6" jack plate.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Is that speed measured via gps???? ... That seems fast for a 75.
    I'm going to try not to take offense to that question .... as you can see, I've been on BBC longer than most that frequent here ..... but you're right, it does seem fast for a little 75hp and sadly a lot of the newbies and 'lumnie guys only go off their boat speedometer while not knowing better.

One of the first things you've got to realize is these Xpress models we're talking about have the Hyperlift hull ...... which is a pad hull and not a mod-v hull like a lot of 'lumnies. Xpress does make a mod-v, it's called their Hydrodynamic hull.

Here is a link to my current boat project ...... the one I mentioned above being in the Xpress forum. http://www.bbcboards.net/xpress-boat...5-h-50-db.html In that thread, right off the bat, is a link to my old boat (the one we're talking speeds about) ..... this is the one that's like my buddies that I linked to originally that we shot video of. I think all 3 threads will answer alot of questions you have about either boats. My 2 threads are a 'step-by-step' build thread on everything I did to the old boat and am doing on the current boat.

Quick answers (b/c I got to get to work):
    Both are 16' hyperlift hulls ...... which are no longer made ..... and even more rare is a 15' version (which I'd LOVE to get my hands on).
    Both have 6" Vance JP's.
    Both have had the same 75hp motor on them and prop. As you will see, I swapped motors between the 2 boats.
    Both can be a handful to drive at WOT.
    And I just bought this H-50 just a few months ago, thus I'm still 'building' and have not had time to play with setup.

14. Member
    I wasn't doubting you, had read through that post before. Pretty neat rig. I expect to be running my 75 at those speeds soon. Won't be quite stock though. My G3 will do about 40 with one person, 50 yamaha modified to a 60. I dunno what it could get with a a 75, but it would be a handful at anything faster than what it does now.
    Last edited by Ship; 12-14-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    I'm going to try not to take offense to that question .... as you can see, I've been on BBC longer than most that frequent here ..... but you're right, it does seem fast for a little 75hp and sadly a lot of the newbies and 'lumnie guys only go off their boat speedometer while not knowing better.

One of the first things you've got to realize is these Xpress models we're talking about have the Hyperlift hull ...... which is a pad hull and not a mod-v hull like a lot of 'lumnies. Xpress does make a mod-v, it's called their Hydrodynamic hull.

Here is a link to my current boat project ...... the one I mentioned above being in the Xpress forum. http://www.bbcboards.net/xpress-boat...5-h-50-db.html In that thread, right off the bat, is a link to my old boat (the one we're talking speeds about) ..... this is the one that's like my buddies that I linked to originally that we shot video of. I think all 3 threads will answer alot of questions you have about either boats. My 2 threads are a 'step-by-step' build thread on everything I did to the old boat and am doing on the current boat.

Quick answers (b/c I got to get to work):
    Both are 16' hyperlift hulls ...... which are no longer made ..... and even more rare is a 15' version (which I'd LOVE to get my hands on).
    Both have 6" Vance JP's.
    Both have had the same 75hp motor on them and prop. As you will see, I swapped motors between the 2 boats.
    Both can be a handful to drive at WOT.
    And I just bought this H-50 just a few months ago, thus I'm still 'building' and have not had time to play with setup.
    I read about your xpress boats later on and after seeing how small your boats are its no wonder. The power to weight ratio is excellent and no wonder you can get that speed. As for being a newbie. Doesnt mean alot. I just joined the forum yea but have been working with bass boats and speed for awhile myself and btw i never gone by a speedometer for speed since ice owned my boat ive always gone by gps so im not stupid. If you look at my other threads TRACKER 175 pics. And 898 si on tracker 175 and my pics on the post your tin thread. You will see i put alot into a fully customized one of a kind boat that truly performs for what it is. Mine is a fully rigged bass boat too going 57.4 mph GPS not a stripped down lil rig. Im not knocking it im sure its a blast to drive But for the record i do know better

Quote Originally Posted by Ship View Post
    I wasn't doubting you, had read through that post before. Pretty neat rig. I expect to be running my 75 at those speeds soon. Won't be quite stock though. My G3 will do about 40 with one person, 50 yamaha modified to a 60. I dunno what it could get with a a 75, but it would be a handful at anything faster than what it does now.
    Ship make sure you post how those mods you are gonna do to that 75 opti turn out Im really curious to find out how it does with that ecm and flywheel work done to the motor. Youre gonna love how that tracker runs with that power!

17. Banned
    Wow that is fast. I got a tracker 175 with a 75 and it will eventually hit 40mph. Mostly 37 to 38

18. Member
    Opti' ... chill dude .... I wasn't calling YOU a newbie or not knowing better ..... I was refering to it's sad that you'd have to ask that since more people don't realize that stuff .... I even BOLDED it to call it to your attention in the post. geez.

As far as weights ..... it will be interesting to see what this H-50 does compared to the 1650hj's. I think the 400lb hull weight that Xpress advertises the 1650hj at is 'light'. I've had to lift/push these stripped hulls a few times while painting and it's the heaviest 400lb hull I've had to move compared to other duck boats I've painted. The H-50 is rated at like 900lb, so I bet it's heavier also.

As far as a handful to drive ...... Bro' that's the understatement of the year. Getting it 'up' you have to handle it through the '3-hop' (which is like a high speed porpoise with 3 bounces). Once up, if you get hit with a side wind .... she'll either start chine walking or nose sideways. It can be a puckering kind of moment due to the speed/rate at which the hull 'walks' compared to other pad hulls.

Ship' ....... I didn't take it that way. .......... also, since you said 50-to-60 and I see 'F' in your siggy ...... I take it you removed the throttle restriction plate. Swinging a 15"?????? Vengence or Trophy Sport????

Fair enough and i apologize for the over reaction. That H50 will weigh just a bit less then my tracker then. Those are nice builds tho and looks like you put alot into it. I can only imagine how much a slight gust of wind can blow that hull around. I can feel it in my 1000lb tracker so that 400-500 lb rig must really be something when you have all the weight at the transom like that. The full interior boat with the console im sure is much more stable. Is the 75 the factory hp rating for that boat? Tracker WAY under rates the hp for the bass trackers IMO. i repowered with the 115 opti on my bass tracker 175 after alot of research on the construction etc and couldnt be more pleased with how it performs. Alot of guys i lnow have had trouble with them at high speed but i dnt go flying over waves in mine either. Only regret i wish i has a hydraulic jp. Ships boat is gonna be a screamer when he gets done working tht motor over. Im looking forward to the results of that. You run carb'd yammis on all your rigs?

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Wow that is fast. I got a tracker 175 with a 75 and it will eventually hit 40mph. Mostly 37 to 38
    Rocket man. What prop you running? That an opti or 4-stroke?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast