Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. BBC SPONSOR
    The Lock-n-Haul is designed to eliminate all of the clearance in the entire system and stop the motor from shaking at all. The Delrin ends of the Lock-n-Haul don't compress like wood does, and offers a solid connection like nothing else. This device continues to be the choice of boaters worldwide with nearly 8,000 shipped so far, and 116 retail dealers in 5 countries. Please visit the website and read the unsolicited endorsements, and find more details about how the device works.
    Jim

2. Member
    Hmmm what about the motormate Rich?

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Honestly, the old style transom saver that connects to the trailer roller and LU is much better.
    nm

Quote Originally Posted by tzx200 View Post
    Hmmm what about the motormate Rich?
    I have tried a few of the other styles and the worst being the Yamaha tube.
    I just ordered the Lock-n-Haul, Customer service has already been very good, and for that price I don't think I can go wrong!
    Jim is a great guy to talk to and I look forward to using his product.
    Thanks Jim, I will get back to you with feedback after I use it.
    Last edited by yanknbass; 12-16-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Got my 'Lock-n-Haul' the other day, this thing is slick! It's adjustable for width and fits great, installs quickly and easily.
    It is a huge improvement over the Yamaha tube and the transom saver I had that cradled the lower unit and the roller on the trailer, which also made me have to bungy the steering wheel to the hand rail which was dangerous at times to keep the engine from swinging while trailering.
    Also has a lanyard in case you don't install it correctly so you don't lose it. lol
    Great product, awesome customer service and fast delivery!
    Board sponsor with a great product check it out!
    Thanks Jim!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

6. Member
    I will say the lock-n-haul at first glance looks great. On anything but a yamaha it might work great. The issue with the yamaha is inherent to the engine itself. The my-wedge and lock-n-haul both isolate the bracket that the motor mounts on, but it puts a lot of stress/strain on the bushings that the motor pivots side to side on. I know this because I experienced it first hand when the bearing came apart.....This is not meant to knock anyone's product, but the transom saver is still the only thing that fully supports the entire motor. The yamaha techs will probably tell the same thing if you ask them. If it hadn't been covered under warranty, the bill would have been about $8,000.....anyway, just my two cents worth.....I do keep my lock-n-haul for emergencies, although I destroyed the original on these louisiana roads, the aluminum bent. I ordered some 4130 tubing and retrofitted the components, then coated it with bedliner material so it wouldn't rust.
    2006 Stratos 200 Pro XL

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbasspro View Post
    The my-wedge and lock-n-haul both isolate the bracket that the motor mounts on, but it puts a lot of stress/strain on the bushings that the motor pivots side to side on.
    The motor is actually being fully supported diagonally by the tilt ram, and would be supported by it alone without any additional support. The Lock-n-Haul adds the stability of the patented 4-point inline load design, to prevent the motor from turning. The Lock-n-Haul is in regular use by many Yamaha employees at both the service and executive levels, and is being continually installed on new boats by boat dealers as a standard recommended accessory. Nearly 9,000 units have been shipped all over the world with a failure rate of less than 1%. Customer service is handled on a case by case procedure directly at the company, and we are also a long time top banner sponsor here on the BBC. If you have any questions please email us at sales@lock-n-haul.com.
    Jim

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    When my lower mounts were out, you could wiggle the lower unit and the bottom half would shake all over the place. I even heard them poping up on pad, so then I did the shake test and saw the play. I bought Hydrotech delrin mounts and used a 3" cut off wheel to remove old bolts and then slid new bolts in from opposite direction. This saved me from pulling the powerhead off to make the change. Solid as a rock now!
    Did you get the bolts from Yamaha? or somewhere else?

I'll be interested to see if anyone replies. I'd like to know also.
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 06-20-2020 at 11:14 AM.

10. Member
    I think my transom saver contributed to my trim and tilt issue.
    Alfred Reid

Bumping an old thread. Having the same issue with my 2009 HPDI. Took the VMAX side covers off and I can pull on the lower unit and see the play back and forth between the housing and the lower dampers. I used the ProRule tilt/trim bracket for years and that thing was horrible compared to my new MotorMate. Should have switched a long time ago.

So replacing these bolts/dampers. It's not as easy as loosening and pulling them out? Something needs to be cut? Any help is appreciated.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chaseerry View Post
    Bumping an old thread. Having the same issue with my 2009 HPDI. Took the VMAX side covers off and I can pull on the lower unit and see the play back and forth between the housing and the lower dampers. I used the ProRule tilt/trim bracket for years and that thing was horrible compared to my new MotorMate. Should have switched a long time ago.

So replacing these bolts/dampers. It's not as easy as loosening and pulling them out? Something needs to be cut? Any help is appreciated.
    You can definitely take the covers off and cut the bolts out and replace everything that way. Having considerable play here indicates more wear than just the lower motor mounts though. There is probably play and wear in both your upper mounts and your steering bushings, and a pretty decent chance of play in your tilt and trim bushings as well. I would recommend replacing it all at once, because in my mind, wear in 1 piece makes the others wear faster. New lower mounts will wear faster if your upper mounts and bushings are sloppy. This does involve pulling the head off though. It's not a terrible job if you are mechanically savvy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12