Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yamaha HPDI -- Lower Motor Mounts

Ok i have a 2005 Vmax HPDI and think the lower motor mounts are shot. How can i tell if they are and can i replace myself and if so please let me know how and with which ones.

Really need this help guys i think these have been shot for a while and now the motor is all over the place at idle and lost some speed.

2. Banned
    here is some info. Do a search and see if there is more.

http://www.bbcboards.net/yamaha-moto...ighlight=mount

3. Member
    How do you know when they are bad. I opened up the covers and they look fine and theres about a 3/16" gap from the bushing to the mount? Is there a way to test them or tell?

4. Banned
    Pull back and forth on the lower unit to see if there is any movement/slack on the mounts and inspect the rubber bushings for cracks. The only way to remove these mounts without removing the power head is to cut the heads on the bolts. Buy new oem bolts and new solid motor mounts from Bobs machine shop in FL. Install the mounts and reverse the bolts when re-installing so that the head of the bolt is outside of the mount coupler.

5. Member
    Ok is there supposed to be and kind of play room or a gap in there from the rubber shim to the housing ?

6. Banned
    You dont want any play or movement while pulling on the LU. Some play maybe at the steering pin bracket and tilt/trim cylinder pins. I see a lot more of these problems with motor mounts from the crapy motor supports used while towing. Use a motor support that supports/mounts to the lower unit and NOT the trim/tilt unit or motor mounts bolts.

LU 001.jpg

7. Member
    Can someone post pics of what to look for when checking the mounts? I am getting alot of play when pulling on my lower unit. Seems like most of my play is just above where the lower unit mounts, on the two bolts with acorn head nuts. Sorry about being uneducated on this, but I have never had a motor that had this type of problem. Thanks for any help, and sorry to hijack post.

8. Member
    Rich, where did you get that motor support from? I like it!

The Rod Glove Pro Staff

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    I am getting alot of play when pulling on my lower unit. Seems like most of my play is just above where the lower unit mounts, on the two bolts with acorn head nuts.

See if you can tighten those bolts/nuts first and recheck for play.

My design as a prototype but Tony Brucato made it for me. I’ve been trying to get him to make more for sale. To convince him we need about 20 calls from you guys to run a batch.

10. Member
    Rich, what kind of money on the motor support? Also, I tried tightening the nuts already, they didn't budge a bit. Got my injectors/secret filters installed, now got to finish installing my carpet this weekend, finish getting seat skins installed, and I am back on the water.

Thanks

Chris

11. Banned
    Not sure, depends on material $ and time to make one but I bet it would be less then the others you can buy now. This isn’t something you can make a living on but, if by a chance a corporation like Yamaha notices its advantage then maybe. BTW, I had this thing for over 3 years now and everone likes it because it does what it suppose to.

guarantee your play is not actually in the mount itself but rather excessive wear in the mid-section and the mount is rocking back&forth in the mid-section!!!! have seen this a hundred times

13. Member
    Ill post a pic tonight on here and yes i been using a my wedge for 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Not sure, depends on material $ and time to make one but I bet it would be less then the others you can buy now. This isn’t something you can make a living on but, if by a chance a corporation like Yamaha notices its advantage then maybe. BTW, I had this thing for over 3 years now and everone likes it because it does what it suppose to.
    Not trying to hijack this thread but RichZ how do you feel about the new support that fits over the trim piston? If you have seen one. I bought one from my dealer this past summer.
    Last edited by yanknbass; 12-04-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

15. Member
    When my lower mounts were out, you could wiggle the lower unit and the bottom half would shake all over the place. I even heard them poping up on pad, so then I did the shake test and saw the play. I bought Hydrotech delrin mounts and used a 3" cut off wheel to remove old bolts and then slid new bolts in from opposite direction. This saved me from pulling the powerhead off to make the change. Solid as a rock now!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread but RichZ how do you feel about the new support that fits over the trim piston? If you have seen one. I bought one from my dealer this past summer.
    The MY wedge or whatever is called is junk. I got one recently with my new fx20 and trashed it. It will eventually ware out the trim cap to the point that air will enter the trim system and it does noting to support the weight of the motor. Honestly, the old style transom saver that connects to the trailer roller and LU is much better. All of this is debatable and there has been more then enough said on these boards about this subject. All of the new style supports are not much better. They do not contact the LU or any part of the motor leaving the mounts and steering pin bushings to take the pounding while towing.

I agree, I looked at it today and the top is breaking down already and I have been babying it, waste of money there. So when you going to start mass producing?
    Thanks Rich!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

18. Member
    Well i will be needing to get a different transom saver / motor toter, which one? What motor mounts should i get; stock, hydrotec, Bobs?

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Please consider the Lock-n-Haul. It is the only device available that fits all motor brands, and most models and sizes. It features the patented '4-point inline load' feature, that distributes the load evenly through the load bearing tubes, and will eliminate any movement of the outboard while being trailered. We are a long time top banner sponsor on BBC. There is nothing better available for your trailered outboard.
    Jim

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    There is nothing better available for your trailered outboard.
    A piece of 2x6 cut to fit the trim bracket and to cartel the lower unit above the cav plate would be much better then this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast