Thread: SHO vs Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SHO vs Pro XS

Really dont want this to be a brand war, looking to see what everyone thought would push a z520C around the best. I do fish some places where elevation is a factor. My closest dealer is a cabelas, and I think they will work on both, so that isnt much of a factor.

2. Member
    Both motors are good motors, but the Merc will usually be faster. With that said get the one that YOU want and that matches your color scheme. I run a Merc.

Both great motors ,you burn oil in the merc ,but I think you have to burn premium fuel in yammie
    521 vs 250 pro XS

4. Banned
    Id ask Ranger Rodney, he has sold Yamahammers, Mercs and Evil'Rudes, and I beleive he runs BLACK

5. Member
    Rodney has posted it here many times. Merc 1st, rude a close 2nd, cant remember where the sho was..... Rodney, where you is?

6. Member
    I have a buddy that has a 250 sho on his z521. I fish with him once a week.The sho is an all around AWESOME motor. It is quiet and powerful.It pops that big Ranger on plane. Im pretty sure he puts reg unlead in his sho.I was one of the guys who thought he would never own a 4 stroke.My next Ranger will have a sho on the back.

7. Member
    What he said!

I have same boat and motor, it is incredible. No more 2 strokes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Lane View Post
    I have a buddy that has a 250 sho on his z521. I fish with him once a week.The sho is an all around AWESOME motor. It is quiet and powerful.It pops that big Ranger on plane. Im pretty sure he puts reg unlead in his sho.I was one of the guys who thought he would never own a 4 stroke.My next Ranger will have a sho on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by wanabepro View Post
    Both motors are good motors, but the Merc will usually be faster. With that said get the one that YOU want and that matches your color scheme. I run a Merc.
    Recommended Fuel Regular Unleaded (Minimum Pump Octane 89) Thats from yamaha web site , I was wrong ,not premium , but not reg mid grade down by me mid grade is not always availible the station by my house is no ethanol and its either reg or prem thats probably why my friend puts premium in his sho
    521 vs 250 pro XS

9. Member
    I do know people that run their SHO on 87 all the time, and I have filled mine from near empty with 87, it seems to run better on 87 (could be because the 87 has no ethanol).

Bottom line, 89 is recommended, it will still run on 87.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredglass View Post
    Rodney has posted it here many times. Merc 1st, rude a close 2nd, cant remember where the sho was..... Rodney, where you is?
    I still stand by that statement,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,far less problems with the Mercury with out a doubt, Merc gets better gas milage and in most cases performs better on top end. If u do go the other way i would run the 89 gas for sure,,,,,,,,,,,we have several on the water and the guys tell me they get better milage and the engine runs and idels a lot better with the 89.

I love my SHO so far. My Z521 with SHO 250 carries me and my stuff over 70 mph all day long if need be. Top speed I have had was 73.3. Not bad for a 21 foot fishing barge. I always run 89 octane without ethanol and use ring free in every tank. It is much quieter and smoother than the Merc. Plus it just looks so awesome!

12. Member
    Great looking and performing motor

13. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I currently have a SHO on my Skeeter, and I can honestly say that it is an excellent motor. But now that I actually have a choice as to what outboard to put on my new Ranger, it is a difficult choice :)

Go with what you like, not what other people like...... I made that mistake before.
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

Which one doesn't have an air compressor

16. Member
    I have had both and I prefer the SHO. My current boat is a Z521 with a 250 SHO. I am very pleased with it.

17. Member
    I dug this post out from the past. Is this still everyone's same opinion today? Just kind of curious to see yall's opinion 2 years after this last post? Not trying to start any battles here, just curious on everyone's opinions? Thanks!

18. Moderator
    If I were buying now, I'd consider the SHO. I know it had a lot of issues but I would think they've been worked out by now. I bought a pro xs last year. It's my second one. It's a beast.

19. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    A SHO would still be my first choice but would be happy with a Merc ProXS.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

20. Member
    I have a SHO Jr on the back of my 118c and it's pretty impressive. Growls when you hammer the throttle and really performs well with a 23" T1 prop. Fortunately, we have 2 gas stations with mid grade, ethanol free fuel available within 5 miles.

Seems that unless you get a lemon, if you use good gas and additives, have it serviced on time and always warm it up well before burying the throttle and allowing it to idle until it cools before shutdown, they will be trouble free for many years.
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast