Too close for comfort! Deer...

Since it was nice yesterday (41 in morn and 67 predicted in afternoon) I decided to ride the Fat Boy to work. I was on Rt 3 headed North outta town in the right lane. Still kinda dark outside. There was an 18 wheeler in the left lane and we were traveling about 65 mph. He started to slow a bit and as I started to come up beside him, he slammed on his brakes and his trailed brakes locked up....therefore I came off of the throttle not knowing what was happening yet. I came up on his cab fairly quick and was just starting to hit the rear brake a bit when a deer he hit went flying past me on my left side. It missed me by less than 3 feet. Another deer that was running away crossed right in front of me and I missed it by less than what looked like a full stride of the deer. Both were Does. I was at about 50 mph when all of this happened as I was on the brake. I proceeded to move to the shoulder and collect my thoughts as well as take a moment to pull my underwear and some vinyl outta the crack of my arse. Took me about 10 minutes to recover my nerves and get back on the bike. The truck stopped, not because of me, but because he had hit the one deer which was dead in my lane behind me. Not much damage to the truck, but when I got to work and was walking in to the hospital, I found blood on my coat across my chest and left arm that had been flung from the deer I guess. Also found a clump of deer hair stuck to the front of my left side saddlebag. Was wearing a helmet and in looking back, I don't think I'd do anything differently. The truck driver and another car did come over to me to be sure I wasn't hurt or anything. They could surely tell that I was a bit shook but ok for sure!

The ride home was nice and comfy at about 67 degrees and no deer anywhere in sight. Be careful outdoors and be alert.... I hope noone ever comes as close as I did yesterday...

2. Member
    Glad to hear that you are ok. We will have to get together and ride sometime.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brolland View Post
    Since it was nice yesterday (41 in morn and 67 predicted in afternoon) I decided to ride the Fat Boy to work. I was on Rt 3 headed North outta town in the right lane. Still kinda dark outside. There was an 18 wheeler in the left lane and we were traveling about 65 mph. He started to slow a bit and as I started to come up beside him, he slammed on his brakes and his trailed brakes locked up....therefore I came off of the throttle not knowing what was happening yet. I came up on his cab fairly quick and was just starting to hit the rear brake a bit when a deer he hit went flying past me on my left side. It missed me by less than 3 feet. Another deer that was running away crossed right in front of me and I missed it by less than what looked like a full stride of the deer. Both were Does. I was at about 50 mph when all of this happened as I was on the brake. I proceeded to move to the shoulder and collect my thoughts as well as take a moment to pull my underwear and some vinyl outta the crack of my arse. Took me about 10 minutes to recover my nerves and get back on the bike. The truck stopped, not because of me, but because he had hit the one deer which was dead in my lane behind me. Not much damage to the truck, but when I got to work and was walking in to the hospital, I found blood on my coat across my chest and left arm that had been flung from the deer I guess. Also found a clump of deer hair stuck to the front of my left side saddlebag. Was wearing a helmet and in looking back, I don't think I'd do anything differently. The truck driver and another car did come over to me to be sure I wasn't hurt or anything. They could surely tell that I was a bit shook but ok for sure!

The ride home was nice and comfy at about 67 degrees and no deer anywhere in sight. Be careful outdoors and be alert.... I hope noone ever comes as close as I did yesterday...
    Brolland glad you are OK. I posted to you on my Harley picture post.

Glad that you made it through that experience with only blood on ya from something else.
    I ride to work as often as possible. Up until it gets to cold. Much of the year it is an hour before daylight up to just after daylight. I traveled the back roads one morning a counted probably up to 5 deer somewhere close to the road. I decided I would no longer take the back roads to work and stay on the interstate for as far as I can. I know there are some deer that are hit on the I/S but most of it is fenced and the likely hood is much less. I as of yet have not had a close call with a deer or other critter, KNOCK ON WOOD !!!!

5. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    What a close call that was! Glad your OK.

For me however, I try to only ride during daylight hours, even in the summer time. There are just too many deer running around.

That had to have got your attention.

Glad you made it through that OK.