white boat cleaner?

Had buddy say to use pledge to clean the top of the hull on white tritons would this be ok , my first white boat and its ridiculous how dirty this boat gets just from pulling down the road. Thanks yall

2. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    My last two boats have been white and, yes, they do get dirty. The trick is to keep a good coat of wax on it and wipe it down with something like Bass Boat Saver after every trip.

3. Member
    Watch waxing the cap. I did mine once on a boat years ago and will never do it
    again. It looked nice, but made things very slippery and dangerous in many ways.
    If you tried to hold on to something, you couldn't. If you stepped on something
    your foot slipped especially when wet. You get the picture.

Wax your hull ( but not the pad ) to help make the scum easier to clean off.
    But think twice about what you wax. It may look pretty but could cause you alot
    of pain or worse.

I thought it was a good idea. I've owned several bass boats over 36 years and
    have waxed the cap once ( and never again ).

4. Member
    i wax mine down with BTS spray.once a year. then i take one windex bottle and make it into 2 bottles 50% water. I spray boat after ea outting.It has always worked great and is very easy.

5. Member
    I use Bass Boat saver, have used pledge in the past on other boats with no problem but it doesnt clean like BBS.

6. Member
    Im like roadrunner i wax the top of my boat never again what i do is get a clear squirt bottle and squirt two or three drops of liquid dish washing soap like dawn or palmolive and fill the bottle the rest of the way with water works greats. saves $$$$$$$$$$$$

7. Member
    I wouldn't tell any propective buyers that you haven't waxed or cared for your gel coat. Your cap is breaking down in front of yor eyes and will eventually show porosity and oxidation. I don't walk on my cap or the hood of my corvette so I don't care how slick it is. I think any fiberglass guy would tell you detergent soaps by themselve are not condusive to the longevity of the surface...To answer the OP The boat care products such as BBS have the specific chemistry nesccessary to protect your finish in a marine and outdoor environment so I wouldn't use a wood indoor protectant on them..

8. Member
    I've owned white boats for years. When I wash the rig, I use the same car wash concentrate I use on my vehicles. Wipe it down at the ramp every time you use it. Use 50/50 white vinegar/water if you need to remove water spots, etc. The various spray wax type products from Mothers, Meguiare's, BTS/BBS, etc., will keep it shiny - and slick. NOBODY walks on my top cap either. LOL!

9. Member
    Well guys, it is too bad that my boat is under roof more than out in the sun. But I
    find it hard to believe that nobody puts their foot on the cap for any reason. Maybe
    it is because I am only 5'6" and 57 years old that I step on the cap sometimes when
    when getting in or out of the boat. I wear tennis shoes or rubber sole boots ( not
    hobnail boots, if anyone remembers what those are ). None of my boats have ever
    faded even the one I had for 22 years and fished the most time in. It is all what you
    want to do. By the way even though I don't have a vette I have never walked on any
    of my cars or trucks in in my life ( or anyone else's )

I care more about how things work than how they look (except women, yes, I guess
    I am a sexist ), but I don't have a heart attack if something gets a scratch on it. Fix
    it if you can and move on. Use things but don't abuse things.

10. Member
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful info.

I've got a white boat and I always wipe mine down with Windex after it's washed. You should see the bling!

12. Member
    You want Bling use Boat Bling line of products, Quickie Sauce is the best spray-on-wax on the market follow it up with Hot Sauce after each trip and your white boat will stay white. I use Quickie sauce and hot sauce on my top cap and step on it regularly and never had a problem, Boat Bling products are made specifically for boats.

Boat Bling, Home of the "Hot Sauce" (not for tacos)
    Wes

2020 Skeeter ZX225
    netbait.com
    denalirods.com

If your ever trying to get rid of tough scum marks or water lines try JJ-V's Best. I've used used on my last three white boats.

3M Marine rubbing compound to clean any marks/stains, then Starbrite Marine/RV wax with PTFE, then 2 coats of BBS wiped down with damp cloth, and final buffing with dry terry cloth. I usually wax 2-3 times per year, and use BBS every time I pull it out of the water. You can save some time with the hull bottom by waxing and not buffing it off...the water will wash it off for you the next time you go fishing.

15. Member
    Slick Mist