Thread: Skeeter Step

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Well thank you...Not sure how economical it would be lol. I understand why Ranger sells steps and decks for 300-500 bucks. I'm at 275 in materials already. 75 skeeter carpet, 50 anti skid plate, 22 plier holders and 128 for aluminum. The goal is to make it look factory and be able to remove with no issues if I sell it.
    The wood guys have me beat in terms of cost and time :)
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

2. Member
    I am still exploring materials. I just got in some Gator Hide. Skeeter uses this in their FX and new ZX boats. Looks to be a great solution for the antiskid. I'm looking at other materials for building the framework. PVC? Fiberglass/gel coat over a core?
    or maybe carbon fiber or carbon fiber/Kevlar mix. Carbon fiber will load well but it is expensive. It certainly looks cool though.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Thanks. Updated pics. Getting closer :)
    image.jpg
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

4. Member
    Just picked up some new parts to start my version 2.0.
    I will be trying out PVC board and aluminum.
    Work to start soon.
    Right now I'm putting in the FX style passenger rod strap. It's tough working under the deck and trying to make something precision fit in and area,that is anything but.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by rickmb View Post
    I am still exploring materials. I just got in some Gator Hide. Skeeter uses this in their FX and new ZX boats. Looks to be a great solution for the antiskid. I'm looking at other materials for building the framework. PVC? Fiberglass/gel coat over a core?
    or maybe carbon fiber or carbon fiber/Kevlar mix. Carbon fiber will load well but it is expensive. It certainly looks cool though.
    Nyloboard, light strong, holds screws great etc. Used in boat floors and other places. check it out. Nylosheet
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Nyloboard, light strong, holds screws great etc. Used in boat floors and other places. check it out. Nylosheet
    Thanks for the tip! I will check it out.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Rick, pm me if you need carpet. Pretty sure we have the same color and I had to order a 6' roll and removed very little off it to do mine so I could prolly spare some if you need any. Matches perfect as it should.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

8. Member
    Thanks. I still need to lay mine out to see how it will look and if I will want to use carpet.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Well the carpet and skid plate is on. I'm going to let the glue dry then mount the plier holders and set it this weekend. Carpet matches perfect. I relieved a lot of aluminum to take the weight off. Very happy with the weight now.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited by captainrab; 04-28-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

looks awesome... great work. i will have to take some pointers as well

11. Member
    Thanks. I'll post my drawings once I get it installed to make sure I don't have any markups. :)
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

12. Member
    Looks like your carpet is darker than mine. Looks good so far.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    Couldn't wait till the weekend so I fit tested it today. Now for the hard decision. How do I anchor it? Through the floor or through the bow glass. Leaning towards the floor with 2 anchor bolts and screws. Any advice? Skeeter popped holes into both with the drain and the rod holders so obviously they weren't worried about water permeating the glass and rotting.

image.jpg
    Last edited by captainrab; 04-29-2015 at 06:57 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

14. Member
    If you go through the floor the carpet will hide the hole if you change your mind. Red gel is hard to match.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

15. Member
    I know this sounds hokie...but I hate to punch holes anywhere ;-) Have you considered some less permanent solution like industrial hook and loop tape? You could attach the mounting tape to the glass under the step where your tool holders have access to them and screw the receiving part into the step. All you would need would be enough to hold it to the boat and avoid coming loose. Just thinking outside the box. They look great and should function perfectly! Good luck!

16. Member
    So I called the local fiberglass man, skeeter and the local dealer. All 3 agreed that the composite substrate can handle the screws. Skeeter explained that the same substrate used to mount the hot foot is used on the floor. 1/8 inch pilot hole with 3) 1/4" stainless hex head sheet metal screws 1" long with fender washers and some silicone on the threads into the floor was the recommendation from skeeter. The carpet will hide the holes if I ever want to pull it out. On a side note my plan b is weld mount studs. Thanks for the advise men.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab

You guys do some very nice fabrication work. I'm gonna start working on one once the weather gets a little better, if mine turns out half as nice I'll be pleased
    2018 zx 190
    150 v-max sho

18. Member

Front Deck step ..Skeeter 2015 ZX 250

Made a front deck step,myself, for a Skeeter 2015 zx250.Bought a 1in plastic board from Amazon, 1in x 12in x 27in. Made cardboard jig to trim shape across top of board. I had some grey marine carpet I covered board. Made a really nice front deck step.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4820220429_190910.jpg20220429_190910.jpg8596[/ATTACH]

19. Member
    The step is still in my boat no screws looks like it was put in yesterday can't believe it's been 11 years without this step I'm sure i would have fallen and killed
    my self by now thanks for the recognition when I get a chance, I'm going to pop it out and take some pic but I'm no good with posting pic so i don't know how far that is going to go Tom Lamb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12