Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to big bikes, so what safety tips do you guys have?

I just got my Ultra Classic this weekend. You can see the softail thread I started a couple of weeks ago for the story. I will admit I am a little intimidated by the big bike right now. It will be delivered on Tuesday. I want to be a very good driver of the bike since my wife will be riding with me. That is why we got it. So for those of you who take a passenger frequently, what are some of the pointers you have for me to make it an enjoyable ride for the passenger. I am a very defensive driver and know the importance of being alert to all the surroundings and others on the road but I know there must be a multitude of other suggestions that all of you experienced riders can provide me. I can tell you I will take all of this very slow and make sure my confidence level is where it should be before I take my wife on it. I know the safety apparel is an absolute and will make sure we are dressed correctly. Thanks in advance for all your insightful information.

2. Member
    Make all your radio adjustments before you take off, the intercom system should be second nature. We have our VOX turned off and use PTT. It should come with one set of speakers and mic. My wife loved to play with the radio and intercom after riding her Sporty.

Buy a pump for the rear shocks, the ride can vary greatly depending on the rear shock pressure. When we are two up I add pressure, if it's just me and I'm going any distance I re-adjust. I've rode back there while she drove. It's a different ride in back, less wind and you are sitting over the rear suspension. It's hard to stretch out.

ALWAYS make sure you are ready for your passenger to mount and dis-mount!

Once your passenger has the trust to lean back and enjoy the ride and you have the confidence to press on your going to love the new bike.

Every time you ride by yourself practice a hard emergency stop.

Take another rider's course. Have her take the course, as well.

Start with the bike as lightly loaded as possible while your passenger is aboard.

Practice tough moves with her on the bike, tell her in advance what you will be doing and how the bike will respond.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

might be hard to understand, but I ride aggressive and defensive no matter the circumstances. I control the traffic, I don't allow the traffic to control me.
    expect the unexpected and don't ever put yourself in a situation to allow someone to run you over.
    PLAN AHEAD and be capable of handling your machine.

concerning an inexperienced passenger ----- do NOT allow them to anticipate when to lean or not to lean in a corner, tell them to just go with the "flow".
    If they have a need to wiggle their ass around to adjust their seating position, make sure they advise you of it first. This can be a disaster at very slow speeds or at a stop.
    Last edited by Corkpuller; 11-11-2012 at 09:03 PM.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

5. Member
    I re-took the course like puller suggest. I also had her take it with me. We took the four day Harley Riders Edge course.

She had only been a passenger with boyfriends, her dad, etc... The first time she dropped the little 500cc Buell she was ready to give up. Five mins later it was all over. I had been riding on and off for years, missed a perfect score on the corse written and riding by one point for going to fast in a corner. She finished right behind me and ordered her own bike the next day, DOH!

Now we have a big fat luxoliner Tri-Glide after several years with the bikes. It took her a long time not to be in charge. I guess thats different with different people.

6. Cajun Boats/MN Fishing Reports Moderator DJ from MN's Avatar
    A big heavy bike is easy to keep uptight when you've got them moving but at a stop sign if they get over center on you it is all over. Got into a "situation" once where I had to start from a stopsign, up-hill, into a right 90° turn, with a dame in an SUV right on my tail light. Long story short, I didn't give it enough gas and killed it and over on its side it went. I'm 74 years old and in decent shape but there was no way I could lift 700 lbs. back over center by myself.

Oh, end of story?? Cross traffic did not stop, I had the stopsign. A big rig came through, hit the binders, threw on his blinkers, stopped traffic from both ways, walked back and said, "Hey buddy, looks like you could use a hand". Helped set up the bike. I had to follow him back to his rig to thank him. He just patted me on the back and said, "no problem, happy motoring" and was up in his rig and gone.

Low speed maneuvering will be the biggest learning curve in my opinion. When it's rolling at speed, there really isn't much difference. Go to a parking lot and practice until you feel real comfortable. There is a technique to picking up a big bike and I know it has come in handy for me. You need to stand with your back to it and walk it back up. This is a video on how it is done, I know I bent my handlebars on my Road King trying to lift it like most people do. I have done it this way a couple of times now and it is pretty simple.

Communicate to your wife what you expect. Mine would always try to adjust when we were rolling slow and I asked to to let me know when she needs to adjust and that helped a lot. She use to also lean in the opposite direction and now understands not to do that. It was a small learning curve for her but now she falls asleep on it all the time, so her comfort level is good.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ from MN View Post
    A big heavy bike is easy to keep uptight when you've got them moving but at a stop sign if they get over center on you it is all over. Got into a "situation" once where I had to start from a stopsign, up-hill, into a right 90° turn, with a dame in an SUV right on my tail light. Long story short, I didn't give it enough gas and killed it and over on its side it went. I'm 74 years old and in decent shape but there was no way I could lift 700 lbs. back over center by myself.

Oh, end of story?? Cross traffic did not stop, I had the stopsign. A big rig came through, hit the binders, threw on his blinkers, stopped traffic from both ways, walked back and said, "Hey buddy, looks like you could use a hand". Helped set up the bike. I had to follow him back to his rig to thank him. He just patted me on the back and said, "no problem, happy motoring" and was up in his rig and gone.
    Thanks guys this is all very good advice. Please keep them coming. By the way Corkpuller, I have my retirement lakefront lot on Lowes Creek on Toledo Bend. Hope to be building my retirement home there in 4-5 years. I am looking forward to riding in the Sabine National Forest area. Love those tall pines.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    By the way Corkpuller, I have my retirement lakefront lot on Lowes Creek on Toledo Bend.
    well I'll be damned, I am sitting here at my Palace in Lowes Creek. 1973 Fleetwood mow-bial home, single wide by God.
    Where would your lot be? I gotta figger it would be out there towards Millionaire Point. ???? Don't know of any property on the North side of the creek.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    well I'll be damned, I am sitting here at my Palace in Lowes Creek. 1973 Fleetwood mow-bial home, single wide by God.
    Where would your lot be? I gotta figger it would be out there towards Millionaire Point. ???? Don't know of any property on the North side of the creek.
    Yes it is on the south side of Lowes Creek. Just down from Millionaire Point. From my lot you can look east and see Cypress Bend landing. As you are going west into Lowes Creek about 1/4 mile into the arm, there is a little indentation on the left. There are two log homes on the indentation. My lot is just east of the log homes. It is an absolutely beautiful spot with great sunsets. I bought the lot back in 2002 knowing that lakefront lots were going to be non-existent before long. I was right. They are very hard to find now. My lot slopes gently to the lake so I need no seawall and can get to the water easily. I lived in Baton Rouge for 23 years as I was on the faculty of the LSU veterinary school. I fished lots of tourneys on the Bend and in the Basin. I also love fishing Big Sam. I was there this October fishing for a week during the FLW tourney. Watched my buddy Greg Hackney fish it. I taught Greg's wife Julie when I was at LSU's veterinary school. Can't wait until I am retired, fishing the Bass n Bucks and Bass Champs, riding my Harley, and enjoying a Jack and coke on the patio watching the sunsets.

sounds like some good advice . i will throw one more , when coming to a stop dont look down alway keep your head up. I ride a big bike also GL1800. stay safe...

12. Member
    I ride my ultra all the time with my wife. My ex-wife almost killed us one time by changing her position in the seat at the worst possible time ----right in the middle of a sweeping right hand turn. Make sure to tell your passenger what you want them to do expecially in turns. It realy does not matter what they do as long as they are consistant.

Riding at high speed is really easy but being a good rider at slow speeds requires ALOT of practice. Practice by yourself first in a clear parking lot then add your passenger. Using parking space lines, make a u-turn and see how many spaces you need to complete it. When you get really good you can do it in 2. These big bikes handle really great at low speed when you learn how too. This is one of the reasons the police use them.

I have more than 200K miles on 4 ultras and was an instructor for both beginner and expert courses. We ride all over the US and have had our share of adventures and fun. Last trip was Seattle back to east TN via Utah, Four Corners, NM, TX, Gulf Coast, and New Orleans.

Its not the destination....... its the journey

Enjoy and ride safe!!!!

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

13. Member
    Practice this by yourself..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Practice this by yourself..

That is some amazing stuff. Hard to believe they can do that with such a big bike.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBhoss View Post
    I ride my ultra all the time with my wife. My ex-wife almost killed us one time by changing her position in the seat at the worst possible time ----right in the middle of a sweeping right hand turn. Make sure to tell your passenger what you want them to do expecially in turns. It realy does not matter what they do as long as they are consistant.

Riding at high speed is really easy but being a good rider at slow speeds requires ALOT of practice. Practice by yourself first in a clear parking lot then add your passenger. Using parking space lines, make a u-turn and see how many spaces you need to complete it. When you get really good you can do it in 2. These big bikes handle really great at low speed when you learn how too. This is one of the reasons the police use them.

I have more than 200K miles on 4 ultras and was an instructor for both beginner and expert courses. We ride all over the US and have had our share of adventures and fun. Last trip was Seattle back to east TN via Utah, Four Corners, NM, TX, Gulf Coast, and New Orleans.

Its not the destination....... its the journey

Enjoy and ride safe!!!!
    As a precaution do you find it easier to let the passenger get on while leaving the kickstand down just in case the bike leans too much and after they are on then put the kickstand up? This is a beautiful bike and I do not want to drop it by doing something stupid.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    As a precaution do you find it easier to let the passenger get on while leaving the kickstand down just in case the bike leans too much and after they are on then put the kickstand up? This is a beautiful bike and I do not want to drop it by doing something stupid.
    I always stand-up then upright the bike and kick-up the kickstand and have the passenger get on. It really depends on the passenger. You might want to try leaving the kickstand down then upright the bike and have her get on. I have had the bike go down when the passenger lost their balance and did not let go. Practice make perfect.

As for the police competition video...... I used ride with the guys from MD all the time and learned ALOT just by watching. I used to go to 2 competitions a year with them just to help out....Coral Springs/Ft. Lauderdale in April and Washington DC area in late September..... If you get a chance to see a competition in person I would suggest doing it. People will tell you what can be done on a bike but until you see it in person then you won't believe it and until you push the envelope you won't be able to do it.

Best question I ever got in a class was "How far can I lean my bike in a turn?". Answer you won't know until you fall over because it is just before that point.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

17. Member
    I ride a Ultra as well. I stand the bike up and the have my wife get on. One rule of thumb I told her when she first started riding with was on the turns just look over my shoulder. ( left turn left shoulder right turn right shoulder) that kept her from wanting to lean into the turns on her own.
    GBhoss has some good info for you...
    Ride safe

I leave my gl1800 on the side stand,then my wife gets on then, I get on and stand the bike up straight. I do have a drivers backrest and a trunk. that works well for us.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqfan View Post
    I ride a Ultra as well. I stand the bike up and the have my wife get on. One rule of thumb I told her when she first started riding with was on the turns just look over my shoulder. ( left turn left shoulder right turn right shoulder) that kept her from wanting to lean into the turns on her own.
    GBhoss has some good info for you...
    Ride safe
    Wonderful advice and information. Please keep it coming. I must admit I am a little intimidated by the size of my Ultra Classic. Virago 1200 and 750 Honda as big as I have had. Were any of you also a little "scared" of the size and weight at first, and if so, how did you overcome that. I am sure some of you might be saying, " if I am asking those questiosn why the heck did I get the bike" but I know I can get there I just need to "do it". I am taking a two day basic training/safety course in two weeks and hopefully that will help a lot plus get me my M certificate. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer questions and give advice.

20. Member
    The Ultra has a low center of gravity so it is really easy to handle. If it falls over it will land on the crash bars and not damage the paint (mine has been on its side a couple times). It is tough to pick up but it can be done and you will be amazed at how many friends you will make when they see you trying to pick it up.

Just ride it by yourself first and learn how to handle it with just you on the bike. After you feel comfortable THEN add a passenger.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast