Lucas M

Champion 190 Fish Hunter

Hey everyone,
    I just bought a 190 fish hunter as a project boat here in MN. Got a great deal on it. Has a 225 EFI. Going to be redoing some gel coat and an overall clean up of the boat. It only has the 2 captain chairs and a front butt seat, which is fine. Since the back is wide open between the two livewells, I was going to build a removable back casting deck in that void space. Wondering if anyone has gone through this process and could offer some pointers.

Also, looking to replace the windshields as they have some cracks. Anyone know a good place to send old bubbles to have them use as a template and create new ones? Anyone on BBC offer that?

Any other tips or tricks with these boats? I am open to ideas.

Thanks!

For windshields, contact Custom Mold & Tint (https://getaboatwindshield.com). They likely made the originals for Champion.
    Another source is UPD Plastics.

For the removable casting deck, best bet is to use marine plywood and seal it with epoxy resin. If you want a really lightweight but weatherproof frame to support it, use aluminum sq. tubing or angle, riveted or screwed together (use aluminum or stainless fasteners).
    If you decide to use wood for the frame, be sure to seal it also to prevent rot.
    3/4" thick plywood will still need some reinforcement or center support to minimize flex. Thinner plywood can be used if you provide adequate reinforcement structure to prevent flex.